Taking on a freelance make up artist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nishi85

Reaction score
hi guys

i generally don't do make up or prefer not to as im better at nails and other beauty treatments.

i have a friend who is a qualified make up artist and i was thinking of getting her on board as a freelance artist. for example if i advertise that we can provide a make up artist and i get say a bridal booking that wants make up doing as well as nails waxing etc she can do the make up whilst i take care of everything else.

what do you guys think of this? and what do i need to consider?

i wanted to charge commission - say like 10% of each booking for example. what do you think? and is there anything that can affect me when it comes to tax or insurance etc?

any help is appreciated thanks in advance all xxx

You will need to have a contract outlining how much and when she will get paid by you or if you need to invoice her for monies from each bridal service done by her.

You will also need to check and make copies of her public liability insurance cert and qualifications

She deal with her own tax and ni if freelance

You also need to take in to account if bride fails book her or you for her wedding, you may in turn both loose out on the brides business as many brides like the idea of having as few providers to deal with as possible on the day so like to go to one or two places to get treatments done.

Would she be salon based or mobile or both?

If she's doing mobile work you have to make sure travel costs are covered.

How would work things out with her if the bride couldn't or would pay travel?

Would you pay her travel/expect her to swallow the cost or say to bride travel cost MUST paid or it's a salon apt.

How would she be compensated if the bride cancelled at the last min?

What would do of the bride complained about her work to you?

How would deal with her coming in late or cancelling on a bride at the last min?

How would address this with your friend?

What if your friend doesn't pay you on time after each job?

If the bride only has a set budget for btreatments would you be inclined to take the lower rate to get the business and leave your friend slightly out of pocket?

Sorry for the long list, but these are thing you need to think of.

If you feel your friendship is strong enough to with stand any of the above questions then press ahead if not maybe you need to rethink things.

I'm a firm believer in not mixing friendships with business as you run the risk of ruining the friendship if things go wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back