Taking pics of nails, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellenor

Reaction score
I am having real trouble taking pictures of my clients hands, my phone camera is a pile of rubbish (despite being 8mp) unless its daylight and then the pics are fine. Also my digital camera is rather out of date now. Looking to get a new phone soon so this should help...

Does anyone have a designated camera for photos? Or suggestions for lighting/getting a good photo? Do you find the background makes a difference? Any and all suggestions welcome

Loving everything nails :)

I have the same trouble , in the summer I take them outside and get fab pictures. In this weather that can't be done lol summer is on its way though xx

:) I love this topic, so work with diffrend cameras (proffesionals ones are nice to but to big to cary on, and you can't previw picture on screen when you take a shot. ) but for nails work just smart option so I love Samsung camera which have option smart in setings right now I use samsung PL221, before I had Samsung PL70. You can check salon pictures taken with this camera in my albums. To get right shoot you need good light so I prefer take picture on my nail desk where I use a good light. Then a 2 blank pages of a4 papier for nice white background and 10-20 shots of one set of nails where I'm happy just with 1-2 pictures. Hope that help a little bit

I'm lucky mu hubby has a Canon EOS 550 as photography is is hobby so he's the designated photographer for me.
I find tho that using a plain background white or black or even a natural background like wood is nice as it doesn't detract from the fab nails.

Years ago we had a sony-cyber shot and apart from the canon it was the best camera we'd ever had (that was a few years ago now)

I had one of those cameras but it got smashed :( I shall have to invest in a phone with a good camera I reckon!!

Loving everything nails!!

That's great thanks :)

I would have a look again at your old digital camera. Has it got a Macro setting on it (its usually a little button with a tulip on it)? Even pretty old cameras have it on.

It makes the world of difference when you want to take close-up shots.

I would have a look again at your old digital camera. Has it got a Macro setting on it (its usually a little button with a tulip on it)? Even pretty old cameras have it on.

It makes the world of difference when you want to take close-up shots.

I cannot find that on my camera, but then it is a camcorder that has a photo function so the options are again limited. The photo quality is grainy and not that great. Might actually have another camera hiding somewhere... will get hunting!!

What phone is it that you're taking from!? I've always taken from my phone camera's and they've been great at 8mp :)

Samsung galaxy s2. I'm certain it was a really good camera before based on Facebook photos etc but it seems to have lost its quality :( It will just never focus and changing the settings helps (I've tested every combination) but I am due an upgrade so I think its time to sell it on and get a new phone. 8mp should be more than sufficient so it must just be my phone. Even in daytime its still a bit pants. Maybe my toddler has something to do with it :p

I use my iPhone 4S and the photos come out really well. This one was taken in really bad lighting and it still came out ok x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1360594613.294665.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1360594613.294665.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 194
I use my digital camera (I think its 8MP) and it comes out great. I take the photo of the clients nails positioned on my branded towel and it looks really professional. As for the lighting I have a daylight lamp.

I use my iPhone 4S and the photos come out really well. This one was taken in really bad lighting and it still came out ok x

Although it looks blury now I have uploaded to SG? Take a look at my facebook page www.facebook.com/SerenityNailzUK

All the pics on there apart from the ones uploaded by a client have been taken with my iPhone x

I have an old Fuji Finepix Z5. Nothing Fancy. Use a macro setting to get great detail (the files are big but can be reduced to send pictures if required) and play with lighting and backgrounds and positioning the clients hand. Once you get the formula your shots should come out great without the need for a fancy or expensive camera

HTH xx :Love:

bond2012A 016-001.jpg

bond2012A 014-002.jpg

bond2012A 018-003.jpg

Is that what the tulip button is for!!! I had no idea!

They look lovely! Exciting news - I just found my old Sony cyber shot woohoo!! I'm charging it... Let's see if it still works. Perhaps this is not the one that got smashed!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Also, I found taking my shots against a fabric background helps as it is less likely to reflect the flash back so reduces glare. I also turn off my manicure lamp as this washes out the colour.

I do use picassa on my laptop to crop and frame some of my photos. It is really easy to use.

Have fun x

I use Instagram on my I phone x

I feel I need to get some pretty fabrics to take pictures, so many photos on here look gorgeous and mine look poo :(

Any tips for prettier pictures? Pretty fabrics? Ornaments? What do we reckon ladies :)

And my recently located camera rocks... At last!!

I love this fabric in your photo!!

Latest posts

Back