Tan no longer taking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina67

Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen before? I've been tanning a regular client weekly for the past 2 years, same product, same application, same everything. The past few weeks she said that parts of her are not taking like the back of her legs so I have been giving her a double or triple coat to make sure she is well and truly covered. She said nothing has changed with her, no new products or medication so I'm struggling to fathom out what's going on. I did have another client a few years ago that the tan just stopped working, we tried 3 different brands and but her skin just wouldn't take it, she was devastated! I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or if it really is possible for someones skin to just 'reject' the solution and not work? TIA

Hi Tina67,
Sounds like you have done the same as I would - check for changes in medications, routine, check body wash used, clothing worn whilst developing and even check how close to the treatment they last shaved.
It can happen though.
DHA sensitivity is more often than not the main culprit. When a particular client claims the tan isn't working as well as it has before, the chances are, they have become DHA sensitive. In this case it is usually recommended your client either has a break from tanning for a couple of weeks and moisturises well in this time or the client should go for a lighter DHA solution for a couple of weeks.

Spraying numerous layers is wasting your solution (profit) and also most likely contributing to the cause of the issue as it can be so drying to the skin.

I hope this helps but let me know the outcome please - always ready to learn something new :)

Hi Tina67,
Sounds like you have done the same as I would - check for changes in medications, routine, check body wash used, clothing worn whilst developing and even check how close to the treatment they last shaved.
It can happen though.
DHA sensitivity is more often than not the main culprit. When a particular client claims the tan isn't working as well as it has before, the chances are, they have become DHA sensitive. In this case it is usually recommended your client either has a break from tanning for a couple of weeks and moisturises well in this time or the client should go for a lighter DHA solution for a couple of weeks.

Spraying numerous layers is wasting your solution (profit) and also most likely contributing to the cause of the issue as it can be so drying to the skin.

I hope this helps but let me know the outcome please - always ready to learn something new :)

Thanks Rachel I will see what happens and keep you posted, I'd never heard of DHA sensitivity which is bad as I've been spraying for 6 years!

It is something I have recommended before and come across on threads such as this but not something I have personally dealt with.
Skin types differ so greatly this is just another suggestion - it may not be the cause in this case.

I myself have had tanning breaks after a couple of years of weekly / fortnightly tanning but being quite sensitive skinned I do it to give my skin a break from the exfoliating routine more than adverse affects lol. :confused:

I can't Offer advice but this happened to me while pregnant. My usual spray tan and hair colour just wouldn't take. My baby is now 9 weeks old and my hair colour is taking fine but I haven't tried a spray tan yet. Maybe it's hormone related? I found a run on tan worked better when pregnant. Although didn't take as well as normal it at least have me a little colour. Maybe you could try a manual tan with your client?[/QUOTE]

Hormones do affect the skin massively - not only when pregnant but also when its 'that' time of the month.
Some get oilier skin in places or sweat more for example, worth bearing in mind :)

Latest posts

Back