Tanning room or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbsxo

Reaction score
Hi All - sorry for the long explanation in advance, but wanted to cover everything!

Need some advice please. I'm part way through building works ready to open my new salon end of next month. I've never done tanning but have the option of turning the men's loo into a tanning room (it's quite large).

Option 1 is to totally clad it in washable materials (floor, walls etc & perhaps put a shower base in (or not) and extraction and option two is to clad the walls & get an extraction booth from whichever tanning co. I decide to go with. Cost for booth option is slightly more but not massively. Option 3 is to use the space as a consultation room for my skin are ranges, not do spray tanning at all and perhaps look at lotion treatment instead of spray.

As it's a new venture (& I'm fairly new to the industry and area) I'm not sure what my client base will be and therefore what the call for tanning will be.

So, questions really are - opinions on spray versus lotion application and also whether the further investment in the room or booth are valid.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Debbie

Hi Debbie....wow such a lot of options there lol
The problem with many options is exactly as your finding it...which way to go ??

It really is something that only you can make a decision on given what you want your business to become.

Machine applied tans I would imagine are generally speaking more in demand than hand applied tans however it very much depends on the type of salon you operate...upper end spa type operations may well attract more hand applied treatments as in such business the customers are looking for enjoying the treatment itself. .its all part of the trip so to speak as there paying to be pampered.

Machine applied applications are more about the outcome rather than the enjoyment of the treatment itself

I think if you did some research locally to see what is either in demand by way of the services they offer...and look to compete ...or look at what is lacking locally so you are the leading service provider

So two things to consider.

1) What do you want your business to be in the longer term and therefore you have your answer

2) Research locally to identify treatment opportunities....your second answer as whatever treatments you offer need to be commercially viable in the long term so that your initial upfront investment in accommodating the new treatment is secure and repaid

One thing is a clear dead cert...whatever you decide ....make sure you remove the loo from the treatment area :lol::lol:

Good luck and HTH :hug:

Thanks for your reply Colin - and just to put your mind at rest - loo (or urinal as it was :-() already removed! Lol

Market and salon definitely more high end & locally there are St Tropez and other sprayers so maybe hand applied would be a more 'bespoke' alternative?!

Thanks for your reply Colin - and just to put your mind at rest - loo (or urinal as it was :-() already removed! Lol

Market and salon definitely more high end & locally there are St Tropez and other sprayers so maybe hand applied would be a more 'bespoke' alternative?!

yey...well done on the loo removal :lol:

well seems like you have now a clear plan ..there is a lot to be said for offering treatments where the application itself is part of the customers experience ...and from a commercial perspective generally means you can charge more

Well whatever you finally decide to go for I wish you the very best of luck with your endeavours

I tan in a wet room I had installed when I had my garage converted. It's perfect, I just shower the walks and floor after tanning. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403991285.031239.jpg

Something else you might want to consider is the noise, whether you have a sound proof room or a quite machine or of the room is far enough away from the other rooms. Last thing you want is someone getting a massage or facial in the room near it and all they hear is a tan machine

I tan in a wet room I had installed when I had my garage converted. It's perfect, I just shower the walks and floor after tanning. View attachment 69071

That looks fab. I'd thought about that but apparently putting a drain in would be an issue. Am thinking I might go down the manual tanning route - to start with at least.....

In the three years I've been open I've never been asked to manual tan anyone, even tho we do offer it. Spray tanning is the second most popular treatment for me after Shellac manicures. You get such a good return from each bottle of solution I would highly recommend spray tanning as a treatment in your salon x

Latest posts

Back