Tattoos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are either against discrimination or you are not. It's not something you can dip in and out of, or pick who we discriminate against and who we can't, that's like saying I'm not racist but...... If the person has the qualifications, the skills, the work ethic, and comes to work clean and smartly dressed, what difference does a visible tattoo make to their ability to do the job. That person may have been the best thing for your business but you would never know because you judged them on what you do or don't prefer. When you own a business it is not just about making profit. You are contributing to the community, the economy and society, and I believe those contributions should always be positive. Perpetuating a false and unfair judgement is not a positive contribution. My salon was in Cornwall, not the most diverse of places, but I employed a mix of people who I believed would be reliable and good at their job. These people included two South African lady's, a Russian lady, a very mature lady, a gay man, single mums, some lady's who "looked like beauty therapists" and some who did not, and it was owned by me, a visibly tattooed woman. My business did not fail. There were of course along the way a few bigoted people who who did not want to have a treatment done by a foreigner, or a black woman, but instead of allowing that behaviour, I backed and defended my hard working staff. Doing this did in fact effect my business. It had absolutely no effect on my profit, but did mean that I gained better quality clientele. Therefore staff were happy, business was good. For every judgemental client you loose there will be ten decent people to fill their place. Some of the busiest salons I know have visibly tattooed employees. I think it is a myth in the industry that it will have a negative effect on your business, and I don't think the majority of the public are being giving the credit they deserve. Let's stop this nonsense and support each other.

Do what makes you happy !
At the end of the day people who are going to judge you will find something else to main about your hair colour or your eyeshadow or your weight !!!

Life's too short, I totally agree, just do what makes you happy!

I've got a half sleeve and never had any problems. But I've always been self employed doing beauty and rented rooms.

Latest posts

Back