Tax query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrselliott

Reaction score
I am employed by a supermarket and have started up again mobile as an extra income. The £7000 limit before u have to pay tax does that include income from my other job too or just on what I earn as mobile?
I am hoping that I can build my clientele big enough to give up Sainsburys!

Yes it does. It is your total allowance for the year, for all income.

Speak to HMRC, as you will need to notify them of your new income stream.

The tax limit has risen to around about £8100. X

The tax free allowance is the maximum you are allowed to make without paying tax on it. Currently, it's £8,105 (£155.87 a week) and set to rise to £9,205 (£177.10/wk) next April.

This is your own money to keep a hold of; doesn't matter if you have one job, or a thousand (though that would make the tax slightly more awkward to work out ;)). If it applied to each job, everyone would just have a few part time jobs each :D

I got taxed this week from work (Saturday job in the salon at college) 1. I don't earn enough clearly by doing one day a week 2. I'm in full time education so they shouldn't tax me anyway :(

I got taxed this week from work (Saturday job in the salon at college) 1. I don't earn enough clearly by doing one day a week 2. I'm in full time education so they shouldn't tax me anyway :(
No, you're not liable for tax. You need to complete and submit the P50 repayment claim form - or you could contact the HMRC at the end of the tax year for a refund, if entitled (you clearly are).

Yes they will tax you but you claim it back at the end of the year. It works better because it seems like a added bonus at the end of the year but it Is only money you have earnt x

The tax free allowance is the maximum you are allowed to make without paying tax on it. Currently, it's £8,105 (£155.87 a week) and set to rise to £9,205 (£177.10/wk) next April.

This is your own money to keep a hold of; doesn't matter if you have one job, or a thousand (though that would make the tax slightly more awkward to work out ;)). If it applied to each job, everyone would just have a few part time jobs each :D

Its a good job really that the allowance is rising. (I didn't know this, so thank you)

The £155 weekly allowance before you pay tax only just about covers my rent & council tax.

In my opinion the tax free should be more. People are going with out & missing bills / scrimping on food shopping & not able to take kids on days out even though parents are working hard. I'd really like to see the person who set this farce up having less than £200 a week to pay bills & live off.

Just thought id chuck my 2 cents in x

Thanks guys I'm going to have a word with them about it, isn't it possible that they could sort it now rather than going through all the hassle?

I don't understand why they're taxing students anyway?! Because us students run the salon so everyone working there on my level should not be getting taxed.. Wonder if it's just me they're taxing x

Thanks guys I'm going to have a word with them about it, isn't it possible that they could sort it now rather than going through all the hassle?

You need to check your tax code on your pay slip. It should be 810 + a letter. If you've just started or didn't give a P45 to your employer you might be on an emergency tax code eg BR. This taxes you on all your income.

Check that and ring up HMRC. Explain that you think there is a problem and they will sort you out. If you have a tax code problem they will send you a 'Coding Notice' and send it to your employer as well. This happened to me and I got a higher allowance for the year so that they were effectively paying me back through that. Otherwise they will probably send you a cheque but this will probably take a long time! Last month my husband rang them because he has overpaid tax and they said that we probably won't get it back until November because they have a big backlog!

They are always so helpful on the phone so just ring them and put your mind at rest :)

Air x

Latest posts

Back