Tax returns, what if you can't get a receipt from someone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa82

Reaction score
Hi all, trying to sort my tax return out, and in a dilema re; receipts.
I done a spray tan course, and have contacted the trainer and company a few times but still can't get receipt, as I'm told she has to issue me it, but she isn't returning my e-mails or PMs, so what do I do?
Write off that 150 euros, or count it in my tax return even though I've no proof/receipt?
Thanks x

Do you not have it detailed on a bank statement? Did you get a certificate for doing the course?

As Fiona said, but also you will need to run it through your accountant and he will ask for the relevant paperwork anyway!

Hope you get it sorted x

As long as you can prove that you paid for it, your bank statement would do. You would only have to prove this in the case of an inspection which isn't very likely. I have been inspected once and they were very fair and reasonable about things like this.

My husband's business had a VAT inspection as his very first return was a refund. The VAT man was fab, he was funny and very helpful although I did get the impression if we had been hiding anything he would have sniffed it out and been very sorry!

As long as you are telling the truth and can show payment you will be ok. The taxman would probably be more interested in someone who is not issuing invoices or receipts for money taken! :D

As long as you can prove that you paid for it, your bank statement would do.
Trouble is the bank statement will only show that you wrote a cheque. I wont say what the cheque was for, or even whether it was for business or personal use.

I would continue asking for a receipt but if you don't get one I'd phone HMRC and ask for advice.

Thanks for all the replys, so annoying they just can't post me a receipt :( x

Personally, I would keep asking but also don't worry about it too much. I have NEVER been asked by my accountant for documents to support my book-keeping.

My information came from the tax office. Obviously keep asking for a receipt but if you don't get one still include this in your outgoings. The bank statement will show who you paid the money to and this should fit in with what you have purchased. There is too much fear of the revenue, they are there to collect taxes that are due, they are not there to screw us for every penny and they will not be unreasonable over a matter like this. :D

Personally, I would keep asking but also don't worry about it too much. I have NEVER been asked by my accountant for documents to support my book-keeping.

Agreed. Generally the Inland Revenue believe whatever you put on your tax return without the need for supporting documentation.

Of course, thats not to say they dont have the right to investigate and ask for it. But, to be honest, if it ever came to that they may just tell you tough luck take it off !!!!

Of course, I'm not suggesting anyone is ever dishonest on their return. Like I said, they do occasionally check, and of course, if they find serious fiddling or lying going on then you're going to jail !!!!

But then again they aint going to be too off if you make a mistake or loose/dont get one or two receipts...

Latest posts

Back