Teaching manicure in schools?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
I work in a school, and have been asked to look into running a manicure/nail art course for pre-16s. I'm thinking about doing a PTLLS course, but does anyone have any experience of having done this? Can you tell me what teaching or training quals you had, and what quals you managed to take students through? It would probably be an afternoon a week.

Really would welcome any experience or advice! Xx

I work in a school, and have been asked to look into running a manicure/nail art course for pre-16s. I'm thinking about doing a PTLLS course, but does anyone have any experience of having done this? Can you tell me what teaching or training quals you had, and what quals you managed to take students through? It would probably be an afternoon a week.

Really would welcome any experience or advice! Xx

I have no experience of working in main stream schools or teaching under 16s so I have no useful advice for you unfortunately.
But, I would like to say that this is so cool! The fact that a school is looking to implement something like this says a great deal about how well our industry is doing! I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Good luck finding the info you need.
:D

Thanks! I think it could be great. I would be working with disaffected students at the moment, and I'm actually a careers adviser (by day!) but as I'm CND trained I'd love to have the chance to teach them about the industry, pitfalls, opportunities, myths etc, and get them to start thinking about their possible future careers seriously, like "If I'm gonna be the one that makes it, what sets me apart from the rest" etc? I know so many 16 yr olds who go do a beauty course thinking its a guaranteed job, I want to get them thinking about the competitive side early ;)

That's all a lovely dream at the moment but I'm sure I can make it work!

Can anyone offer any experiences?! Xx

Hi I teach L2 manicure, nails & nail art to college students and I have a TQFE (Scottish equivalent of a PGCE). Also have my Assessors award, which enables me to assess my learners xoxo

There was a Government sponsored project a while ago that was intended to bring certain practical skills into the school curriculum. I don't know what happened with it.

i think pre 16 it can only be an introduction to the subjects. there is also an apprenticeship scheme that may have an intro level. I'm sure you would need PTTLS and the equivalent of a teaching qualification.

Try contacting Habia.org as they are the industry Authority and will be able to help you

Thanks I'll look into both of those, much appreciated Xx

I think PTTLLS is a good start, but I'm not sure if that's supports post 16? I would ask the people providing the course they will know, but I should think your nail experience along with that would be fine because that course will teach you how to teach. :)

I have a QTS and was looking at a job supporting adult learners but my degree is primary so I was going to do the PTTLLS course but I didn't have to.

Thanks TG! I have found a Level 1 Award in Occupational Studies (Nail Art) which allows us to spend the time looking at nail art styles, practicing a few and I'll drip-feed manicure, health and safety and industry info into it without them realising! I think it will be quite a little success as an intro the the industry, and they can learn more about some of the skills needed, plus how to get into it, how to be successful etc.

Very exciting!

Xx

Latest posts

Back