Teaching question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
For those of you who teach, do you find it takes longer to do something when you're explaining each step and answering questions, etc. than if you are just doing the service?

I'm sure it sounds like a dumb question, but I find when I'm demonstrating say, an eyebrow wax, or a manicure, it doesn't take me much longer than if I were just in the salon, doing it.

With acrylic, I find it takes me much longer to demostrate a full set. Maybe there is just so much more to explain. Speaking of which, should I be demonstrating 10 nails at a time, or just do 1 and let the students finish? Sometimes I feel like I'm losing them...

my tutor just did 2 or 3 nails think that would be better they wont lose concentration then lol.

Sure it takes a bit longer when demonstrating ... there is so much to explain etc.

I never do a full set when demoing. I do one nail in real time and then let everyone oooh and aaah and then I always say ... now you've watched me do it .. now I'm going to do another and I want you to watch HOW I do it. Then I slow down and explain.

As above really, only demo a few nails with nail extensions. Spend adequate time explaining everything but the first sign of losing your learner let them get cracking.

It will take you longer teaching than carrying out the treatment as you are already trained and competent. Put yourself in your learners shoes, imagine you knew nothing. It will take you longer to explain each stage of the process.

Do you have anyone who can support you at your college?

when i demo i do about 3 nails.
i break everything down in stages....

1st we go through the preparation
2nd sizing tips, tailoring , preblending and fitting them.
3rd product application.
4th filing and finishing.

i demo 1 stage at a time explaining every little thing as i go along, what i'm doing and why i'm doing it. then the sudents go back to their desk and recreate what they saw me do.

this way its not too dull for them to watch and they put things into practice immediately whilst its still fresh and accurate in the mind.

teaching techniques takes far longer than actually doing them because you have to go back and put yourself in the mind of the beginner. when we are experienced we do things automatically and it becomes difficult for us to take ourselves back to that stage. its important to point out every little thing we do even things that we no longer even think about like how many times we wipe our brush on the dappen dish before picking up the powder etc.

Thank you everyone! Hopefully next week, they won't be so terrified of the idea. It's a cosmetology school, so the students are primarily working on hair styling, but they have one "beauty day" with me per week.

As above really, only demo a few nails with nail extensions. Spend adequate time explaining everything but the first sign of losing your learner let them get cracking.

It will take you longer teaching than carrying out the treatment as you are already trained and competent. Put yourself in your learners shoes, imagine you knew nothing. It will take you longer to explain each stage of the process.

Do you have anyone who can support you at your college?

It's interesting, it's the school I attended to get my teaching training, and I've helped out there as needed for a few years. But I really wasn't given an outline or requirements, I'm kind of like a "special guest", not part of the normal curriculum.

So I think whatever I decided to do, everyone would be fine with.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Jesse

Latest posts

Back