teaching the nvq

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty pink

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working at a local nail salon and due to do my NVQ 2 and 3 this summer. I am thinking ahead a bit i know, but really fancy teaching nails eventually. Ideally i would like to have a salon of my own and a room at the back to teach.

I know this subject has been mentioned before but i'm a bit confused on exactly which courses i have to do?? Does anyone know how to go about it?

I have contacted my local college and she said to teach the NVQ 2 and 3 i would need a HND or degree level, which isnt available in nails! Or is it best to contact a big nail company eg. creative/ez flow etc and see if i can train through them?? Sorry all a bit confused!!! :irked:

There isnt anyone in sussex that offers to teach the NVQ and would love to offer it.

I would appreciate anyone who can help!!

Thanks

Perhaps put "teaching" in the search facility and you may find some useful threads there.

Good luck!

teh requirements can differ from county to county. in hampshire you tend to need a qualification that is higher than the one you want to teach (which is why they prob said about hnd?). if you are wanting to do it for your own business you will need an assessors award in order to be able to assess it, but these are normally gained in a teaching or training environment (as it is a practical and paper gathering exercise). is it possible to do alittle work in a local training centre/college?
I am not sure if you would need a teaching qual- you would if you were in a college environment, but not sure about private training. your best bet would be to contact the awarding body (ie VTCT) and ask them how you can become an accredited training centre, and what quals they are looking for. And how much it will cost you to become accredited and therfore allowed to teach their quals.
Working for a company brand will bring many rewards and perks, but you need to be dedicated to that brand, and will have to teach things EXACTLY their way- as its their image and reputation at sake.
Goodluck, if i can help you further pls let me know xx:)

In a college environment you would need a PGCE which is a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (If you already have a degree or a CERT Ed which is a Certificate in Education (if you don't already have a degree).

Most colleges will employ you with enough life experience alone but duw to new FENTO requirements you would have to study to do a PGCE or Cert ED while teaching. The college fund it or rather your local LEA so it doesn't cost you...apart from sleepless nights when you have to complete more homework than your students get!!!

Hope that helps.

Jane x

In a college environment you would need a PGCE which is a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (If you already have a degree or a CERT Ed which is a Certificate in Education (if you don't already have a degree).

Most colleges will employ you with enough life experience alone but duw to new FENTO requirements you would have to study to do a PGCE or Cert ED while teaching. The college fund it or rather your local LEA so it doesn't cost you...apart from sleepless nights when you have to complete more homework than your students get!!!

Hope that helps.

Jane x

yes, in a college environment you would need to work toward your certificate in further education. the catch with this is it is a practical certificate, where you need to be teaching/training to gain it, and therefore you need to find such a job and study along side it.most colleges will fund it but dont take it as wrote that all colleges will, as it depends on what funding allocation they have left etc.
Jane is correct that FENTO are starting to get really strict, which makes it really hard for newbie teachers to get on the ladder, and sleepless nights come as standard. that said, teaching is a rewarding career and i LOVE it (even the occasional abuse, but two weeks off now - yippee!)
:)

Thanks very much for all your advice! I really appreciate it, i think i will give VTCT and NVQ a ring and see what they suggest. Also think it will be worth ringing a couple of nail companies and see how they do things. I dont think i want to work in a college really, would prefer to have my own training centre.

Thanks again and will keep u updated!

x x x

Latest posts

Back