Teeth whitening, is it legal for a non dental professional?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becky30

Reaction score
I have been considering doing a tooth whitening course for some time, i know there are lots of threads on here about it but i just want to know if its legal and can insurance be obtained.
i emailed someone at ritesmile.co.uk with all my questions, this was my email:
I am interested in offering teeth whitening in my salon but im worried because I have read that teeth whitening can only be performed by a registered dental professional, I would like to ask if this is true or false and if you recommend any insurance companies that will insure a non dental professional to do cosmetic teeth whitening within a salon.Also I have read that there are 2 different types of product used, one contains HP and the other B zero, which does your product use.I have looked into this quite alot and im really unsure whether to go ahead, I think it would go down well in my area, but i need to be sure that what im offering is legal, safe and has actual results. Thanks
And this was his reply:
Hi Rebecca please dont worry about teeth whitening, we offer a non preoxide teeth whitening training which is 100% safe and legal, all the bad press is due to people having bad training and being careless.
We can offer you full training with a salon machine for only £****, this includes everything you need for 10 customers so if you charge £*** a customer you will make £****, so the whole setup will only cost you £***.
Please call me with any other questions.
As you can see he really didnt answer any of my questions and i fear that if i ring i will be subject to hard pressure sales.
I have been on the GDC website and come across this leaflet
http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...lications/GDC_Tooth_whitening_leaflet (2).pdf
hope that link works.
All i keep coming across from the GDC is "we believe tooth whitening should be carried out by a dental professional" it doesnt go on to say whether it is legal for anyone taking these tooth whitening courses can do it.
What do you think.
I wouldnt mind hearing from people that already offer tooth whitening, who insures you, and is there a demand for it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I have seen (and I cant remember where a uk dentist endorsed teeth whitening system), as I looked into it - im clearing out some paperwork so will check through various mags and see what I can find for you

Short answer: it's illegal.

Oh dear, I used to be a trainee dental nurse and know how expensive teeth whitening can be at the dentist, so thought it would be a good idea to train in this as I had seen it cheaper in beauty salons, I had only just convinced my husband to let me do the course so as I looked into it, I didn't like what I was finding, so asked you geeks for advice. I think it's best leaving this one then. I should have stayed on at dental college lol.
I don't understand why the GDC are not chasing the companies that offer the training to non dental professionals with court action, that would sort this problem out at the root.

They are! A guy got fined £5k recently!

They are! A guy got fined £5k recently!

Is the guy you are talking about from London? If not I know of 2 more people who have been prosecuted; I spend a lot of time in court for my day job and my ears pricked up when I heard the charges! As far as I can remember they were both directors of a company offering training packages and they were fined in the region of £5k-£7k each.

The one I meant was actually doing the teeth whitening and it was the first case brought by the GDC this year! It's on their website x

I have been considering doing a tooth whitening course for some time, i know there are lots of threads on here about it but i just want to know if its legal and can insurance be obtained.
i emailed someone at ritesmile.co.uk with all my questions, this was my email:
I am interested in offering teeth whitening in my salon but im worried because I have read that teeth whitening can only be performed by a registered dental professional, I would like to ask if this is true or false and if you recommend any insurance companies that will insure a non dental professional to do cosmetic teeth whitening within a salon.Also I have read that there are 2 different types of product used, one contains HP and the other B zero, which does your product use.I have looked into this quite alot and im really unsure whether to go ahead, I think it would go down well in my area, but i need to be sure that what im offering is legal, safe and has actual results. Thanks
And this was his reply:
Hi Rebecca please dont worry about teeth whitening, we offer a non preoxide teeth whitening training which is 100% safe and legal, all the bad press is due to people having bad training and being careless.
We can offer you full training with a salon machine for only £****, this includes everything you need for 10 customers so if you charge £*** a customer you will make £****, so the whole setup will only cost you £***.
Please call me with any other questions.
As you can see he really didnt answer any of my questions and i fear that if i ring i will be subject to hard pressure sales.
I have been on the GDC website and come across this leaflet
http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...lications/GDC_Tooth_whitening_leaflet (2).pdf
hope that link works.
All i keep coming across from the GDC is "we believe tooth whitening should be carried out by a dental professional" it doesnt go on to say whether it is legal for anyone taking these tooth whitening courses can do it.
What do you think.
I wouldnt mind hearing from people that already offer tooth whitening, who insures you, and is there a demand for it.

Thanks
Hi Becky

I can assure it is not illegal, but some products are.

The GDC say the 'believe' or 'consider' because it is not a fact. But the are lobbying hard to wipe out the non-dentist industry.

The cases reported had nothing to do with illegal teeth whitening at all. One was made because the person purported to be a dentist and the other was on health grounds.

The GDC carried out the same scarey campaign back in 2007-8. It seems to be working, having read a number of comments on this forum

I have been tooth whitening for 4 years, whitened nearly 2000 teeth without any problems. I have also been visited by Trading Standards and they liked my health and safety protocols.

I used to be a civil servant and like to do everything by the book. I have also written a research paper on tooth Whitening.

Latest posts

Back