Teeth whitening training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend being careful, tho you do not have to be a dentist to perform a teeth whitening procedure, as it is classified as a "Cosmetic" procedure not a dental one. Also using products over 0.1% Hydrogen peroxide is classed as illegal and you could have serious problems with insurance and of course trading standards. trust me i have done my research.
And after attending a teeth whitening course with Laserschool. my goodness i would not recommend them, first of all i learnt that they use an LED blue light not a "Laser" which i thought was very missleading. Also the teaching was run by real amateurs. they was very vague on the legal issues of using products that are over 0.1% Hydrogen peroxide, after being given my teeth whitening kits i knew why, they use cheap illegal products most likely from China. I doubt they even have a training qualification themselves.

Hope my experience helps.

All this information would scare you, so just do what I did pick up the phone and speak to the professionals! I had my teeth whitened last year and wanted to also provide it to my clients. When i looked into it, i got so scared and had a million questions. For me the best people I spoke to were Lovelite, I felt so comfortable with them and they answered all my questions when others didnt.
Did my training last week!! absolutely loved it, so excited to get started and the system is completely different to anyone else, so im providing my clients with something different to the competition (so maybe i shouldnt really be telling you guys) but i just had to say how fab they are after reading things on here before I trained to help people like me!!x:lick:

im curious- if it is no illegal for BTs to do teeth whitening, hpow come my friend did it on a Beauty NVQ course a couple of years ago?

Has anyone trained with miami white? Ive got my training in a couple of weeks and woondering if there's any feedback from any other geeks?
x

Firstly, Ive read quite a few posts on Teeth whitening (as Im a beauty therapist working for a teeth whitening company) and I have found Smooth to be almost angry in most of her responses. I dont understand why this matter should concern you to the point of anger?!
As for the jack of all trades comment, did you know dentists offer dermal fillers? What does that make them? Also, if this was the case then why do therapists not have one trade eg - a skincare therapist, a waxing therapist? maybe because it is possible that we have the brain capacity to master more then one skill.
Teeth whitening is a grey area I'll admit that, but in 2001 it was deemed a cosmetic procedure, I am insured by Lloyds of London and I use a non peroxide, soduim perborate gel which is a zillion times safer then the illegal 35% peroxide dentists supply to clients for non supervised home use.
To be frank Smooth, I think you should just chill and let people get the answers they are looking for instead of filling teeth whitening posts with your negativity.

Waxaholic, can I ask who you trained with? I would love to offer this!

Waxaholic, can I ask who you trained with? I would love to offer this!

Was probably advanced whitening systems in harley street, I did mine at harley street but I do know they also do courses all over the place, you would have to call them for the dates or have a look at there website.

That is who I went with they only use non peroxide products. The course was really good, the day went really quick and the trainers were absolutely great. Also have any questions or anything I just give them a call products work really well.

All my teeth whitening clients are always amazed at the results. Really can not fault them for excellent products and as trainers. A really good value course for the investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this information would scare you, so just do what I did pick up the phone and speak to the professionals! I had my teeth whitened last year and wanted to also provide it to my clients. When i looked into it, i got so scared and had a million questions. For me the best people I spoke to were Lovelite, I felt so comfortable with them and they answered all my questions when others didnt.
Did my training last week!! absolutely loved it, so excited to get started and the system is completely different to anyone else, so im providing my clients with something different to the competition (so maybe i shouldnt really be telling you guys) but i just had to say how fab they are after reading things on here before I trained to help people like me!!x:lick:

hi am looking at training with love lite but was nervous this has helped thank you

i know of some kit for sale at a very good price message me for details [email protected] you can get insurance from sinclaire insurance should be about £125 for the year. hope all goes well

i just had a look and it was only £60 for the year for me including all beauty treatments :)

Hi everyone on this thread, now please please please don't do Teeth Whitening training or offer it through your salon or business or have someone come in to do it for you.
I used to work for the worlds largest tooth whitening business so know a lot about this subject so please read this;
http://www.bdbs.co.uk/pdfs/28January2009_Sir_Paul_Beresford_debate.pdf

This part is the bit you need!!! to know "The reason for this preamble is to explain to the Minister that the dangers of the material when misused are understood, and that organisations such as the British Dental Bleaching Society run certifying training courses to ensure that the dental professional teams undertaking this treatment are properly trained. Unfortunately, there are a number of non-dental professionals, in beautician salons in particular, who are illegally bleaching teeth. Sadly, some of these individuals are using a Sir Paul Beresford - debate – 28 Jan 09 page 3 of 6 material called chlorine dioxide, which, although it produces an initial appearance of bleaching teeth, actually damages them."

The problems that can happen from tooth whitening are vast and with our clinical knowledge or experience I would stay well away. Think of it in the way of jo public coming along and offering laser treatments or botox and things like this with out any clinical knowledge - you just wouldn't do it.

What I would recommend is you find a dentist in your area that you can link up with and offer you customers a discount on whitening in return that they marketing your services to their patients - in the short and long term it will be far better for you. Trading Standards are clamping down on who is offering whitening treatments.

Sorry to ramble on but this is important to everyone that is thinking or currently offering whitening procedures - reputable whitening companies will NOT supply anyone who has not got a GDC (general dental council) number. Also check your insurance to see if they will cover you - the bill from something going wrong could run in to the £10,000's.

I agree and to the OP Please take heed and do a search on here as well we have only recently discussed this with links to court case proceedings as well

Last edited:
LOL very suspicious. If I was the owner then I wouldnt mention fuss beauty school and superwhote smile which were 2 other companies I have contacted.

The FACT is you don't have to be a dentist to whiten teeth as it was declared a cosmetic procedure in 2001 by the house of lords. Read alot on this recently and just taken a look on the GDC website and can't find anything on any prosecution. Please can you provide the link if I am being thick?

Thanks
Salon Man

Do the search and you will find the link mentioned on numerous ocassions. It is only about a week ago we went through this whole thing. I despair sometimes, if you do PROPER research you will find good and bad info and be able to make an educated decision.

The FACT is that you ARE ONLY ALLOWED to use peroxide free products if you are not a dentist. and you ARE NOT ALLOWED to put your fingers into the clients mouth if I recall correctly form the previous thread we were discussing this on.
Lady Murasaki where are you when we need you?

Here is the elusive link
Defendant pleads guilty in tooth whitening case

and a link to our recent debate regarding this
http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/182402-advanced-teeth-whitening.html

are BT's who have trained correctly, passed their course and taken out the correct insurance not qualified professionals then? i'm getting a tad confused now!

are BT's who have trained correctly, passed their course and taken out the correct insurance not qualified professionals then? i'm getting a tad confused now!

Me too!
If a course in teeth whitening is certified( by the way who certifies them?!) and the trainers are qualified and the course can lead to insurance then I'm confused as to what is illegal? Is it the actual product been used or the fact it is a beauty therapist performing the treatment? Or is it the two combined?!
I'm not looking at doing teeth whitening, I'm just interested as I once thought I had heard that only dentists can do anything like this
But after visiting beauty goes and reading trade magazines and seein b
Salons offering it, it's clear it a huge business. Teeth whitening was everywhere at the shows this year!

Are the courses illegally training therapists to do it? Are their products not approved?!
I'm going to do a search, it's an interesting topic and obviously very split opinions

OP, I hope this has given you food for thought and made you seriously consider your options. If you decide to go ahead good luck, I hope you choose the right decision for you.

Me too!
If a course in teeth whitening is certified( by the way who certifies them?!) and the trainers are qualified and the course can lead to insurance then I'm confused as to what is illegal? Is it the actual product been used or the fact it is a beauty therapist performing the treatment? Or is it the two combined?!
I'm not looking at doing teeth whitening, I'm just interested as I once thought I had heard that only dentists can do anything like this
But after visiting beauty goes and reading trade magazines and seein b
Salons offering it, it's clear it a huge business. Teeth whitening was everywhere at the shows this year!

Are the courses illegally training therapists to do it? Are their products not approved?!
I'm going to do a search, it's an interesting topic and obviously very split opinions

OP, I hope this has given you food for thought and made you seriously consider your options. If you decide to go ahead good luck, I hope you choose the right decision for you.
If you refer to the thread I pasted a link to earlier in this discussion you willl see we were discusing the product which is illegalThere is a lot of info on here so do the searchwhen you get a chance. It is very interesting but also a bit scary. I stopped doing these treatments a few months ago, I was not using peroxide , thank goodness, but I feel that the teeth whitening industry is in for a very bumpy ride and I did not want to get caught up in that, or heaven forbid get sued for thousands:eek:

Check out minxacademy.co.uk

Latest posts

Back