Telling a friend I don't want to do her hair anymore

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygeek20

Reaction score
I used to do hair extensions but have slowly faded out of it as I am busier with nails and spray tans and I enjoy doing them more than I did hair. I haven't done hair extensions on customers for a good 6 months now, however I have always done my friends hair. She usually just pays for the hair and I don't get anything in return for my 4 hours worth of work except maybe a bottle of wine. I really don't enjoy doing them anymore and it's such a drag when she asks me to do them but she literally gets so excited it makes it really difficult on me. How would you go about telling her ?
I am doing a fresh set today so really I want to stop doing them after those have grown out.

I used to do hair extensions but have slowly faded out of it as I am busier with nails and spray tans and I enjoy doing them more than I did hair. I haven't done hair extensions on customers for a good 6 months now, however I have always done my friends hair. She usually just pays for the hair and I don't get anything in return for my 4 hours worth of work except maybe a bottle of wine. I really don't enjoy doing them anymore and it's such a drag when she asks me to do them but she literally gets so excited it makes it really difficult on me. How would you go about telling her ?
I am doing a fresh set today so really I want to stop doing them after those have grown out.

Just be honest, a true friend would understand. Tell her due to your busy client schedule, you don't have time to do hair for free

Just be honest, a true friend would understand. Tell her due to your busy client schedule, you don't have time to do hair for free
it's a difficult one, she lives about 5 doors down from my house so she can see if my car is parked outside or not and usually she will ask to come see me for a catch up and then a couple days later she texts to ask if I can do her maintenance while she's at my house. I think it would look a bit iffy if I said I didn't have the time lol. It's my own fault I know, I should never have started doing it for free to start with lol.

i'd just tell her, if your salon based tell her that you're tired after a long day and that she should book with you in those hours. However its not something that you do anymore! If your mobile, simply tell her its not worth your while, heres another lady i know that can do it flexible when you want it.

it is your fault for giving her a freebie and her taking you for ride with it. All of my friends still pay me, even when i want to give the one off gift, they will still honour my time.- they always give me a little tip on top! A £5 bottle of bubbly isnt going to make me feel like i want to do 4hrs worth of work. be very frank with her today, keep talking about your bills, hopefully she'll get the message. (man up!) xoxo

Then tell her the truth, not that you don't want to do HER hair any more (don't be that blunt) but that you genuinely don't enjoy doing it anymore, she's the only one you do and this will be the last time do you hers, but you'll help her find someone really good.

A friend will understand, if she gets shirty she's not a friend but someone taking advantage. But to be frank if she was a friend she wouldn't expect you to work for 4 hours for free either :oops:

i'd just tell her, if your salon based tell her that you're tired after a long day and that she should book with you in those hours. However its not something that you do anymore! If your mobile, simply tell her its not worth your while, heres another lady i know that can do it flexible when you want it.

it is your fault for giving her a freebie and her taking you for ride with it. All of my friends still pay me, even when i want to give the one off gift, they will still honour my time.- they always give me a little tip on top! A £5 bottle of bubbly isnt going to make me feel like i want to do 4hrs worth of work. be very frank with her today, keep talking about your bills, hopefully she'll get the message. (man up!) xoxo

haha great advice!! your right I do need to man up. I am salon based so I think when she comes tonight I will just explain that I'm not enjoying doing it anymore and see where it goes from there. Fingers crossed.... Thanks guys :)

Perhaps you could recommend her somewhere to go, if you know anywhere good x

This happens to a lot of people just starting out and I don't understand it. That is like if you asked her to do (whatever she does) for free for 4 hours. Thats half a workday for most! I think real friends appreciate each others and their work and therefore don't even request a discount as they really see the value in their friends hard work.

@theextensionist I absolutely agree with you and I wish I had had your attitude when I started out. I did the same as @beautygeek20 and offered free treatments to friends at the beginning, hoping they'd give me a bottle or gift at the end. I have friends who, even now years later, still expect something for free! But my fault entirely, my friends seem to think I pay peanuts for my products and my time is nothing.

I charge all my friends normal price and only do it for free for my sister.

This happened to me! I did my friends hair a few times for free and she got into the routine of me doing it every 4 months, after 3 sets I started to make excuses as to why I couldn't do them.

For about a year she started to get the hint..it was a little awkward, she then asked me just recently and I thought..oh no not again !
and I just told her straight that I'm so busy and I really couldn't fit her in and suggested someone else I knew more local to her.
I've had another friend that I ordered all the hair in for and on the day she said the Extensions weren't thick enough so she changed her mind! I was then stuck with 150 pounds worth of hair that I couldn't send back, a special occasion for a friend like a birthday or wedding etc I agree with but not regular fittings for free, think of yourself xx

Latest posts

Back