Testing if clients are allergic to gel products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am really new to the industry and establishing a mobile service for natural nail therapies including manicure, pedicure and gel application. I am currently looking at the public lability insurance policy with Salon Gold and am worried by the following statement under the treatment list which is covered.

" 1) application of nail extensions and nail coatings including varnishes and coatings cured using a UV lamp

Cover provided by Sub-Section Public and Products Liability extends to include the provision of the application of nail extensions and nail coatings provided that We shall not be liable under this extension unless You have checked whether the client is not allergic to acrylics or plastics prior to application"

Does that mean I need to test all materials on a client to ensure she is not allergic before I start a treatment? If so, how do I go about that with a client?

Please advice. Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Pat

It doesn't state that you have to patch test so I would assume it means that it should be one of the things you ask on your client consultation form, however I would probably give them a call for clarification.

That has to be one of the most oddest clauses ive ever read. The very wording "acrylics or plastics" seem odd. The day i have to start to patch testing every client for nail services, is the day i stop doing them. I would ring them and clarify , and make sure you get it in writing.x

Thank you so much for the advice. It is very helpful and much appreciated. I thought it would be insane to have to patch test every single client. :o

It sounds more like they require you to do a consultation form for each client asking whether they have any allergies. Just to be sure you could also specify on your consultation form 'any allergies including acrylic or other plastics'.

Generally insurance companies always clearly specify when they require a patch test before a service! I'd give them a call to ask though - that's what you pay for! :)

Latest posts

Back