Textured Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Case

Reaction score
Good morning :)

I did some "leather jacket nails" yesterday on a client.

I was pleased with the result but would love to try some more looks with it! I've done denim and sponged on silvery blue tones over midnight swim which looked fab, but I'd ideally like to create a leather look.

To make it textured, do you think that if I topcoated, then buffed away the shine, then stippled or sponged another topcoat over that to create the feel, it would still last equally as long as if I'd painted the top coat on as usual?

Xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1372755459.130387.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1372755459.130387.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 330
they look fab hun. im not sure by stippling the top coat on whether it would last as you would probably have tiny gaps in the top coat. you can still create the look and top coat as normal, this way the client is less likely to start playing or picking at them...any bumps or irregularities and clients start playing with them!

Good morning :)

I did some "leather jacket nails" yesterday on a client.

I was pleased with the result but would love to try some more looks with it! I've done denim and sponged on silvery blue tones over midnight swim which looked fab, but I'd ideally like to create a leather look.

To make it textured, do you think that if I top coated, then buffed away the shine, then stippled or sponged another topcoat over that to create the feel, it would still last equally as long as if I'd painted the top coat on as usual?

Xxx

I think you could do it much more easily than that. I would use a small piece of chamois leather and texture the top coat with that, then cure.

Souz, that's what I thought hence putting a normal topcoat layer underneath :) will definitely not put anything like this on the pickers... Myself first I think to trial it!

I'd never thought of using material :o Have you tried it yourself, Gigi? I've created texture using bubble wrap and cling film and netting but have never used material as I thought it would soak up the Shellac... But being leather I suppose it wouldn't!

Xxx

Souz, that's what I thought hence putting a normal topcoat layer underneath :) will definitely not put anything like this on the pickers... Myself first I think to trial it!

I'd never thought of using material :o Have you tried it yourself, Gigi? I've created texture using bubble wrap and cling film and netting but have never used material as I thought it would soak up the Shellac... But being leather I suppose it wouldn't!

Xxx

If you do it in your 2nd top coat then it doesn't matter if a bit gets soaked up as it is only a texture you are creating.. I've seen people do it with a piece of Denim. Tried it myself?? You must be joking. :lol:

If you do it in your 2nd top coat then it doesn't matter if a bit gets soaked up as it is only a texture you are creating.. I've seen people do it with a piece of Denim. Tried it myself?? You must be joking. :lol:

It's a fab idea. Off to the garage now to raid the car wash kit! I wonder if a piece of actual leather would work? You know, like the little sofa samples you get in DFS :p

Lol my apologies, I've only ever seen a few images of your work and it never occurred to me that you may not do much nail art :) your Shellac ombré was stunning.

Xxx

It's a fab idea. Off to the garage now to raid the car wash kit! I wonder if a piece of actual leather would work? You know, like the little sofa samples you get in DFS :p

Lol my apologies, I've only ever seen a few images of your work and it never occurred to me that you may not do much nail art :) your Shellac ombré was stunning.

Xxx

I love to do nail art, but I don't wear it!! I always hate it after a day. I don't know why, I just cant stand it; good job clients do not feel the same way. Even that Ombré I did, that you remember, when playing around with additives was removed in about 48 hours. :)

I am a one stroke expert and I don't even do that on myself. lol Not many clients want to pay for expensive one-stroke designs (maybe one flower!!) but the things I am really good at they don't want to pay for.

Could you not dab on additives to create a textured look? I did it with blue to create a denim look.
Or do you mean you want it to feel textured? In my experience if there are any 'bits' my clients pick :( xx

I love to do nail art, but I don't wear it!! I always hate it after a day. I don't know why, I just cant stand it; good job clients do not feel the same way. Even that Ombré I did, that you remember, when playing around with additives was removed in about 48 hours. :)

I am a one stroke expert and I don't even do that on myself. lol Not many clients want to pay for expensive one-stroke designs (maybe one flower!!) but the things I am really good at they don't want to pay for.

Going off topic here aren't I ;)

That's quite funny, my mum doesn't particularly like wearing nail art because when she's typing on her laptop at work it's distracting! If we were all the same, life would be boring...

It's such a shame, one stroke is truly an art - really amazing stuff. Great fun to do too, I should imagine. I'm terrible at it... would love to train, could you possibly recommend someone? If more people were prepared to pay for beautiful, quality designs, maybe there wouldn't be this stigma that nail art is "tacky". The problem in my area is all these stuck on bows from eBay :eek:

Xxx

Last edited:
Could you not dab on additives to create a textured look? I did it with blue to create a denim look.
Or do you mean you want it to feel textured? In my experience if there are any 'bits' my clients pick :( xx

I've already used additives etc to make a textured LOOK, but I want a textured FEEL :)

I don't have many clients that pick at their nails (usually the reformed biters are the worst in which case I tend to keep it simple for them). I do 3D art and use Swarovski crystals, pearls, rhinestones, lace... and have never had problems with people picking it so I'm sure a textured topcoat won't be a problem :D

Xxx

I couldn't find a chamois cloth ANYWHERE... So I tried the sponge and it worked well, but I don't entirely like the look - it was more like a concrete texture than leather. I'm going to pop out to the supermarket later and try the chamois out!

Xxx

Latest posts

Back