The Carlton Institute - HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misslaura

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm new here so really hope you can all help me.

I've signed up to do my NVQ level 2 via the Carlton Institute in january. I've put down £200 deposit, but after doing that i've read a few articles on the net saying that The Carlton Institute is rubbish.

Obviously spending £2,000 on a course is ALOT of money and i only want to spend this out if i'm going to be able to go and get a job in a salon or set up my own mobile business.

Any opinions would be really appreciated!

Obviously spending £2,000 on a course is ALOT of money and i only want to spend this out if i'm going to be able to go and get a job in a salon or set up my own mobile business.

Replying to your other question... There is no way that after you course with Carlton that you are gonna be confident enough to start up straight away, its a lot to take in, in a short period of time. You will need to practice practice and more practice. Most salons are also looking for experience.

hth

I suspected that might be the case :(

Back to the drawing board then!

Thank you for all your help tho!

Dont let that put you off tho... Every one has to start some where.

Get the training you are after, if its a salon that you are wanting to work in, see if you can find one that takes trainees on, you may be on a crap wage for a bit, but at least your foot is in the door.

If you are wanting to go mobile, start off on friends and family, till you have gained the conference to have paying clients, you will know when you are ready!! Some people pick things up in seconds, others takes longer.

hth

I did that course there in October.

In a nut-shell (for me).....It's OK for the basics and to start the NVQ qualification off, but the emphasis is on basics, I have probably learnt more about salon standard nails on here and through other websites/books etc etc.

But in all fairness,they do say that they teach you the bare bones for you to then go and practice and learn more.

I did that course there in October.

In a nut-shell (for me).....It's OK for the basics and to start the NVQ qualification off, but the emphasis is on basics, I have probably learnt more about salon standard nails on here and through other websites/books etc etc.

But in all fairness,they do say that they teach you the bare bones for you to then go and practice and learn more.

for £2k i would want more than bare bones, i would want some flesh and a bit skin...:lol:

I think its shockin that there is company's out there that are charging this amount of money for courses that are learning you bot all.

But your right, you will learn more by been on here and readin the threads!!

x

You could get far more than the bare bones out of the top companies and using good products to boot! It's hard when you're new and don't know where to start with your training, but now you've got this site and a wealth of good advice for the price of a search on training. Good luck! :)

Do you think maybe i should go with the Carlton, purely for the basics and to get my NVQ but obviously read up, on here and in books etc, on other things so that my knowledge is the best it can be?

I sooooooo wanted to do a full time college course back when i left school but thought you had to be a barbie-doll-esque girl to get on the course so didn't, REALLY wish i had!

Nobody can make up your mind for you, but if you want to learn the basics plus some, you could do worse than read up on training on here. You will get to see what some really good techs have done, who they trained with and what they've achieved. :)

Do you think maybe i should go with the Carlton, purely for the basics and to get my NVQ but obviously read up, on here and in books etc, on other things so that my knowledge is the best it can be?

I sooooooo wanted to do a full time college course back when i left school but thought you had to be a barbie-doll-esque girl to get on the course so didn't, REALLY wish i had!

Hi ,
Aw I so feel for you , you can chuck alot a money away into the nail industry using the wrong training unfortunatly.:confused:

Now I started off at T.C.I ,thought a 4 day intensive course would get me on the road to an NVQ 2 ...wrong .:confused: Two and a half years down the line still no NVQ but I have started my own mobile biz up last year.

I done the course ,got some practice in and applied for my Nvq...done all my practical appart from my fibre glass and silk,started to do my paper work ..but oh couldnt complete it , there was two tasks which I had to do which involved working in a salon...I wasnt working in a salon :rolleyes:.

So I applied to a few , went to a few interviews..no joy ..as I wasnt NVQ trained didnt want to know..:grr: ,what a visious circle!

The product they train you in is useless , as soon as youve got the basics you need to get yourself trained in a proffesional brand,and et practising and dont go to Sallys like I done and used all there brands either...waste of money.

So there I was buying all sorts from Sallys, and then somebody mentioned Bio sculpture gel to me , so I made enquireys and got myself on a course , I felt more convident Id been trained in a well known brand .I gave up on the Carlton work...such a waste , and thought sod it Im going to start advertising , but then the phone started ringing ...do you do acrylic? do you do acrylic? :rolleyes:

So off I went and booked in another conversion course with Ezflow acrylic and basically had a one to one training....I was in shock ...it was me , my lovely educator and another lady, I couldnt believe 3 of us , at the Carlton it was about 12-15 peeps!!

Since then I have done another acrylic conversion to Creative who I must say are the best:) , as I had an alergic reaction to Ezflow monomer.

But I do wish Id gone to college years ago to do an Nvq , but like yourself I see this ad for Carlton thought it would do the job.

Can you not do a basic course only with the Carlton and then do a conversion course with a proffesional brand?I think this may be your only choice , if you dont want to waste all that money, but you wont gain the NVQ though this way obviously.To me it all depends if you want to go down the salon road or mobile/work fom home road.

To me putting your money into a proffesional brand is a good choice, you can always go for one to ones to over come your probs and Salon Geek is excellent for free advice.

Hope this helps, I just wish I could of gone to college too , somedays I do do wish I was more educated in nails , but its nice to know if I have any probs I can turn to my educator or Salon geek for help..unlike the Carlton who were always to busy training and never got back to me :rolleyes: .

Debbie xxx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back