The Edge Nail Polish-problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyDodds

Reaction score
:irked:
I've just set up my own nail business, doing extensions and manicures (3 months and going well), and i'm using both Creative and The Edge (by Alida) Nail polishes. A couple of my manicure clients have been having problems when i use The Edge polishes on them, saying the polish 'cracks' and peels off, usually only after a few days. I'm using Creative base and topcoats. It's something that doesn't happen when i use the polish on Acrylic, and on toes, so i'm a bit confused! I'm working based in a Tanning salon, and wonder if this could be a factor as it gets quite warm. Any suggestions?

Any one???!!!

If it isn't happening when you use your Creative enamels then I would say the problem definitely lies with the Edge enamels.

Do you have the Edge base and top coats to use?

Nope, i only use the creative ones. I used creative top and base coats with the Edge polishes where i used to work, and they were fine then!

Any more suggestions? Do i scrap my expensive stock of Edge polishes and buy in new stock or persist with the edge?! PLEASE HELP!

Any more suggestions? Do i scrap my expensive stock of Edge polishes and buy in new stock or persist with the edge?! PLEASE HELP!
In your first post you said they were 'manicure clients'... are you preparing the natural nail enough before applying the enamel?

Are you positive there isn't any oil on the nail plate?

Do they suffer with peeling nails?

I'm scrubfreshing the nails prior to basecoat, two coats of polish and topcoat. Yes, one client has peeling nails, but she's been a client for 18months, and it's only been the last 3 months she's had the problem with the polish. AAGGHH! What am i doing wrong?

I'm scrubfreshing the nails prior to basecoat, two coats of polish and topcoat. Yes, one client has peeling nails, but she's been a client for 18months, and it's only been the last 3 months she's had the problem with the polish. AAGGHH! What am i doing wrong?
Has she had the same brand of enamel for the previous 15 months before the peeling started?

Have you tried prepping the nails with a cuticle remover prior to enamel application?
If so, are you removing it fully before using Scrubfresh?

Yup, doing all that. I do the cuticle remover before the cuticle soak, then spray the nail and wipe with a mixture of citrussoak and water before scrubfreshing, basecoat, etc. Yes, i've used the same brand for ages too, so not sure what it is!

Could it be out of date/off ?

Stored incorrectly ? Just throwing ideas into the pot :D

Had better not be off! Only bought them in may! Nope, the polishes all go on fine on acrylic nails and natural toes, it just doesn't like natural fingernails!

It might be if the room is too hot or humid. I know that lots of spas don't include polish in their manicures because the environment isn't very good for nail polish drying.

Or are you using fast dry spray or cuticle oil?? If so you might be applying it too quickly after the polish??

Yup, doing all that. I do the cuticle remover before the cuticle soak, then spray the nail and wipe with a mixture of citrussoak and water before scrubfreshing, basecoat, etc. Yes, i've used the same brand for ages too, so not sure what it is!

Hi Lucy, I think the answer to your question may well be that you are removing cuticle then doing a soak, then wiping with water and citrus soak. When soaking nails in water they absorb some of the water which changes the shape of the nail. When the water content comes out of the nail, the nail will revert back to its original shape hence splitting and peeling the polish. I would cut the soak out of your manicures and after removing cuticle, wipe over with a damp lint free wipe of citrus soak and water.
David

Latest posts

Back