Thick or thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilymayc

Reaction score
I'm still having a fair bit of trouble with regular polish and it's driving me crazy!! Basically in short, with regular polish (not gels) do you apply your coats thinly or generously? I always seem to have trouble with streaking, not massively but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's always enough to bother me. When I practice on family I never seem to have any problems but it seems when I have a client in I over think and something goes wrong. The other week I had a client and was chatting away and when it came to applying the top coat it was really dragging at the colour, so much so that it was coming off on my top coat brush. it was glittery so not noticeable but she later went on to nicely complain and said that they took far too long to dry even slightly, she said it was very strange and she couldn't really explain them, and said it was as if the polish wouldn't adhere to her nail at all and I ended up offering a refund (could there be any other reasons this could've happened? I did prep the nail correctly). I feel my coats were maybe simply too thick? However, today i was with a friend who works for nails Inc and I was asking her advice. I was demonstrating on my sister and she told me I was applying the coats way too thinly and showed me how they do it. She literally applied such thick coats and it did look much better. However, while the top coat did make them touch dry very quickly my sister did ruin them about an hour later. She is use to usually having gels and no doubt being very careless with them but I just can't help but think these coats will always make you more prone to smearing them..? So sorry this is such a long post! It's just really starting to get to me! My treatment room is really picking up and now practically fully booked most days but I always have the worry looming over me that someone will book in for a regular polish mani and if it's not that great I'd hate to start getting negative reviews! I would really appreciate any advice!! Thank you in advance, all comments in the past have always been so useful!!

Thin for me, they dry quicker, I'd rather do 3 thin coats of colour than 2 thick. If topcoat is pulling off the colour then the colour coat is not dry enough.

I use Vinylux by CND which I find really good, it really is 8 and a half minutes to dry

Latest posts

Back