Thick toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikkiSC

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a bit icky but a have a few older clients who have extremely thick big toenails. This is to the extent that one lady has a nail that is almost triangular as it is so thick in the middle and causes her pain when wearing some closed toe shoes. When polishing the toes on some of these clients, there is quite a substantial amount to paint just on the free edge!

I know we are not meant to buff away natural nail but what should we do under these circumstances? These ladies are naturally quite embarrassed by the look of their nails and it would be nice to be able to make them appear much more normal.

Have they a fungus infection? Id be careful as if it is and your painting their nails it could cause infection in your polish
My mum has it she sees a professional chiropodist x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have they a fungus infection? Id be careful as if it is and your painting their nails it could cause infection in your polish
My mum has it she sees a professional chiropodist x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

No, quite a few of my older clients see chiropodists and foot health practitioners regularly but are still left with very thick nails. One lady has had damage in the past but the doctor has said that there is no infection, just a very thick nail plate :)

I understand the no buffing dilemma BUT with clients... old clients I really don't think it applies. I tend to file the nail n make it thinner little by little every time. The client is always happy! The shoes don't hurt the nails n with some polish toes look better!

I also do this on younger clients. That nail is not healthy anymore n at long as it's not fungus ill file it down....

NOW someone please correct me!! As long as I'm not damaging it more I think it's ok. The nail is so thick so I'm obviously not going to over thin it. Any other ideas strongly appreciated! :)

I buff it down a little bit I see this a lot in old clients it's just a natural part if getting old I think !

Latest posts

Back