Thinking of buying a kitten!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharan

Reaction score
As the title says I'm thinking of buying a kitten, but I've never had a pet before of any kind (unless goldfish from the fun-fair count?!)

I was just after a little advice from you cat lovers!

I've done a little reading and understand that they need several vaccinations as kittens. Can anyone give me an approximate costs of vaccinations etc - and any other medical costs I may need to know of.

Also, does anyone have any other advice that I may need to know before adopting a kitten?

Just want to make sure we are able to accommodate all their needs before taking one on.

Thanks in advance! :)

Injections vary in price normally about £70. Then you will want neutering this is anything from £70-120 and then micro chipping £20.
Kittens require a lot of attention. I have 2 cats, mum has a 9yr old tom and I bought her a pedigree kitten for her birthday. Normally I would only ever adopt but this one had lost her mother and the seller couldn't cope with rearing her and the others by hand.
Rescuing a cat is a much better idea.
They will have been vaccinated and neutered and well handled and used to the litter tray. Look for adoption/cat rescue on yell. We have a local cats protection group on facebook also and most places charge £75 adoption fee which only covers their cost of vet treatment. I volunteer at out local shelter and older cats are often disregarded even though they are still amazing pets who just want a loving home.
Feel free to pm me any questions x

Sent from the catphone

If you get one make sure you have pet insurance my mum Just had to pay over £1000 for her cat to get some teeth removed!

<3 Stephanie <3

I brought my kitten last year, I had her vaccinations done at companion care vets (pets at home) when she was a kitten, this cost me £20 and I got free fleeing and worming treatments, free micro chipping and 4 weeks free insurance, when I had her spayed it cost me £50 (although discovered a hernia in the process so ended up costing me £90 to put that right) hope that helps, also make sure you buy plenty of scratch posts and toys etc x

Think carefully before getting a kitten, they are lively, and can tear up your sofa, carpets or anything else. My gooch ruined our sofa and carpets, not that it matters as they are old anyway.. i got her from a friend whos cat had kittens, so i knew her from birth and i had first pick of the litter, my friend hand trained her, and shes a lovely cat, loves sitting on my lap.Join pet forum, cat chat is good with loads of advice., and have a word with your local vets for advice too. Good luck :D

Please look at adopting a cat that needs a home. A kitten soon grows into a cat. Better to start with the finished article, particularly if you've never had one before! ALL animals need far more money and attention - and love, than you'll ever think necessary and it is a BIG commitment. Holidays? Days out? Pet food (I'm ALWAYS buying more food).

Best thing is for you to go to a shelter - as advised - and spend some time with the moggies. IF you find you love being with them, taking a fully grown cat will be just as satisfying as buying a kitten. If their owner has died, or is unable to keep them, think of the kindness you are doing!

We should really be encouraging speying and neutering wherever possible....

Sorry if this sounds tough, but strays and deserted animals are one of this country's major problems.

I have 2 kittens they are the most loveable little things honestly. I got them at 8 weeks they were litter trained & settled in very quick! There 14 weeks now and have their first appointment to see about getting them jags although they are house cats and getting them neutered. I got them off somebody I know as her male caught her female cat twice lol I was going to go to the local cat rescue but fell in love with these 2! They are alot of work but honestly wouldn't change them for the word xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402778469.704279.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402778480.531367.jpg

This photo the top 2 are the day I met them, how could you not love that? & the bottom 2 are them a couple of weeks ago &#9786;&#65039;
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402778520.795710.jpg

It's always best to get 2 kittens rather than one, my local cats home only let kittens be rehomed in pairs. Kittens are super hyperactive if you have 2 they will entertain each other. I recommend going to your local cats home they will talk you through everything it may be an adult cat is more suited to you they will help you find the right cat for your home as they know all their cats personalities. Also don't discount a black cat, I only say that as apparently black cats are hardest to rehome as people overlook them as they don't stand out and some people still see them as unlucky xx

Sent from my K00F using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks you lovely geeks for your fab advice.

To be honest, I hadn't thought of a cat shelter - I'm so glad you guys have bought it to my attention. I will definitely be taking a look there, in hope of giving a cat in need a decent home and plenty of love :)

It's always best to get 2 kittens rather than one, my local cats home only let kittens be rehomed in pairs. Kittens are super hyperactive if you have 2 they will entertain each other. I recommend going to your local cats home they will talk you through everything it may be an adult cat is more suited to you they will help you find the right cat for your home as they know all their cats personalities. Also don't discount a black cat, I only say that as apparently black cats are hardest to rehome as people overlook them as they don't stand out and some people still see them as unlucky xx

I can vouch for the having 2! So glad I got 2 they keep each other company and are currently running about mad with each other. My black cat is beautiful how anyone can overlook them I do not know! Xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402779030.498111.jpg

I have 2 kittens they are the most loveable little things honestly. I got them at 8 weeks they were litter trained & settled in very quick! There 14 weeks now and have their first appointment to see about getting them jags although they are house cats and getting them neutered. I got them off somebody I know as her male caught her female cat twice lol I was going to go to the local cat rescue but fell in love with these 2! They are alot of work but honestly wouldn't change them for the word xx

View attachment 67797
View attachment 67798

This photo the top 2 are the day I met them, how could you not love that? & the bottom 2 are them a couple of weeks ago &#9786;&#65039;
View attachment 67799

Oh my... They are so adorable! Super cute!

I adopted 2 at the same time as well.
Identical twins.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402779192.519877.jpg
They are 4 years old now.

Older cats are normally fine to be homed alone but depends on what they are used 2.

Definitely look at a shelter though.

Sent from the catphone

My neighbour has a black cat with stunning green eyes - I think they are beautiful :)

I would love 2 of them, not sure my husband would tho lol. He's told me that it would be my responsibility if we get one (he will help me) but won't take responsibility. I'm happy with that - he's paying for all the costs :)

Mums new ragdoll
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402779565.019820.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402779590.521592.jpg

She's an absolute nut case! She hardly ever sleeps and runs round the house like she's on something all the time and is harassing the hell out of the miserable 9yr old tom. However he does mother her and I think he secretly loves it really.

They are a big responsibility but worth it.
Be prepared to miss all your tv programmes as you will be watching the cat be silly x

Sent from the catphone

I adopted 2 at the same time as well.
Identical twins.
View attachment 67803
They are 4 years old now.

Older cats are normally fine to be homed alone but depends on what they are used 2.

Definitely look at a shelter though.

Sent from the catphone

Gorgeous!

Will definitely look at a shelter Aphrodite. Thanks for the approximate cost of vaccines, that was really helpful.

We live in a first floor flat, my neighbours cat is on the floor above. So I'm presuming, cats are ok in flats, right?x

I adopted a kitten a year ago and it was the best thing I have ever done! I absolutely adore her!
First thing to do is "kitten proof" your house, they are excellent at ruining TV,computer wires etc so the little plastic wire today's are great! If not gaffa tape works well too!
Ornaments and cases are a no too at least until the wee thin gets used to the place as they are very clumsy as kittens!!
Another thing is insurance! Make sure you get a good pet insurer as anything that goes wrong can seriously burst the bank!
Make sure you learn as much as you can before getting you kitten! How to play, how to feed, how to care for etc...
It's true that cats are less work than dogs but at kitten stage this is when you need to build the pet-owner relationship to a strong bond!
Most importantly love and adore the little kitten most of all! Kittens crave attention and it's important to give them as much as you can(but also give them their independence)
Cats are very independent too so don't get in their way too much, but they definitely let you know when they are annoyed :)
ENJOY!!! Xxxxx

Gorgeous!

Will definitely look at a shelter Aphrodite. Thanks for the approximate cost of vaccines, that was really helpful.

We live in a first floor flat, my neighbours cat is on the floor above. So I'm presuming, cats are ok in flats, right?x

I have a ground floor flat.
They are mainly indoor so yes it's fine hun.
I only let them out when they are supervised with me. I initially trained them on a harness so they wouldn't go the direction of the road and it's worked they only seem to stay in garden x

Sent from the catphone

Gorgeous!

I've got my two absolute nutcases in my flat and they're fine. Although in this heat I can't open windows for fear of suicidal kittens...

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a ground floor flat.
They are mainly indoor so yes it's fine hun.
I only let them out when they are supervised with me. I initially trained them on a harness so they wouldn't go the direction of the road and it's worked they only seem to stay in garden x

Sent from the catphone

Ah that's brill. Thanks so much. I may need to take u up on the offer of pm'ing you at some point, to pick your brains a little more lol.x

Latest posts

Back