Thinking of going back into nails - advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janie215

Reaction score
About 8 years ago I qualified as a nail tech in all aspects of nails (gel, acrylic, fibreglass, shellac etc).

I ended up just doing Shellac from a little home salon. Because I didn’t have many clients I ended up JUST doing Shellac as I lost the confidence to do anything but Shellac. I then stopped even doing that when we moved house.

I now find myself in a position of really wanting to get back into nails but do it properly - not like before.

I’m finding so much has changed with a lot more nail art. I always thought of doing Bio Sculpture as this was popular at the time but nowadays can’t find anyone who uses it.

My question is this:- who do you all recommend for training/products.

Also how can I prevent the same mistakes I made before and get more practice with acrylics/gels?

Any advice greatly appreciated

X

About 8 years ago I qualified as a nail tech in all aspects of nails (gel, acrylic, fibreglass, shellac etc).

I ended up just doing Shellac from a little home salon. Because I didn’t have many clients I ended up JUST doing Shellac as I lost the confidence to do anything but Shellac. I then stopped even doing that when we moved house.

I now find myself in a position of really wanting to get back into nails but do it properly - not like before.

I’m finding so much has changed with a lot more nail art. I always thought of doing Bio Sculpture as this was popular at the time but nowadays can’t find anyone who uses it.

Also how can I prevent the same mistakes I made before and get more practice with acrylics/gels?

X

This post really hit home with me because like you I qualified a while ago and never considered myself very good. I struggled with pretty much every aspect. I gave up due to health reasons and then at the beginning of this year I decided to get back into it and this time I wanted to be GOOD not just average. I booked onto a course with CND. I chose to do it because CND Acrylic and Shellac products were what I used previously. I have practised so much and still do every time I get a minute. I am not nearly as good as I want to be there is so much I want to learn but I am determined to concentrate on just small areas. For example there are so many nail arts I would like o be good at but for now I am sticking to simple and concentrating more on getting my application perfect. Mistakes I made were wanting to be the master of everything all at once and as a result I ended up not really being good at any of them. Just average and that knocked my confidence. I also entered my first nail competition this year. I did it at Beauty UK in Birmingham and although I came nowhere near the top it was an amazing experience, the feedback I got back from the judges was very constructive and had given me loads to work on for my next one. Keep at it and don't give up. If you have the passion you will make it! I now rent a little area in a busy salon and although I only offer basic services business is very good and my confidence is gaining x

Wow!! Thank you for your reply. I am exactly the same! I used to spend ages just doing a Shellac! I also did an acrylic course with CND but then didn’t have the confidence to take it forward x

Wow!! Thank you for your reply. I am exactly the same! I used to spend ages just doing a Shellac! I also did an acrylic course with CND but then didn’t have the confidence to take it forward x
I hear you Janie. I forgot to mention that I booked a one to one with the CND trainer after my course. it was not cheap but it did wonders. practise practise and practise. it's all about confidence. The more you do the better you will feel. PM me if you need to chat. I honestly know where you are coming from. You can do this x

I hear you Janie. I forgot to mention that I booked a one to one with the CND trainer after my course. it was not cheap but it did wonders. practise practise and practise. it's all about confidence. The more you do the better you will feel. PM me if you need to chat. I honestly know where you are coming from. You can do this x

Thank you Jules that is so kind of you and you have made me even more determined.

J xxx

Thank you Jules that is so kind of you and you have made me even more determined.

J xxx
So good to know xxx Good for you. Please keep us updated. Do you have a Facebook group or page. Would love to follow your progress xx

X[/QUOTE

Every year I like to do some sort of refresher course/training course and last year did the bio sculpture course. I wasn’t impressed and didn’t get anymore of the product. But that’s down to personal preference.

Keeping up to date with new techniques is the way forward. Good luck and enjoy [emoji6]

I think there are several parts to this. I'd agree with others that taking a refresher class is probably essential, not least because techniques evolve but also different brands have slightly different application methods. Look for an educator with a high reputation who can also mentor you. The other aspect to consider, is how you will differentiate your services from other nail salons, and what methods you will use to attract new clients - this is the most difficult part.

Latest posts

Back