Thinner hair after Hair Extension Removal !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siansy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I completed a removal of a 3/4 head of extensions on Tuesday and reinstalled on Saturday. I used pre bonded Celebrity Elite in 18". This is the first set this client has worn and I have kept in contact and checked at 6 weeks , the removal at 12 weeks. Only two bonds came out and this was from the top row in the final week. The client said she felt her hair felt thinner and we discussed the reasons why this could be such as being used to the thickness of the extensions ect. After close inpection of the hair there were no patches of hair loss but I had to agree that the hair felt finer on the lower half of the head and comparing pictures it did look thinner. The Client looked after the hair and bonds extremely well and stated she felt no discomfort all all in removal therefore any hair loss would have been prior to this. The only thing i can think that would have caused this is due to naturally high shedding of clients own hair it put too much strain with ratio of hair extensions to clients hair then clients hair had been pulled out with day to day wear. Maybe I need to complete upkeep at 6 weeks or removal at 10 weeks in stead of 12.
Hoping Im making sense here. After talking through all options client wanted the new install so I have put less in and moved in further from hair outline. I am going to check at 4 weeks.
I have not experienced this before to this excess any ideas?
Many thanks Sian x

Hi
To be honest it still is possible that it is just because she got used to the thickness of the extensions.
Plus whilst her extensions have been in her own hair has obviously being growing and the ends are probably a bit 'straggly'. If she goes and gets her hair trimmed it will probably feel better.
Mine always feel a lot thinner when i get my extensions taken out but after a good trim and a couple of weeks of getting used to my own hair again it is fine.
If there are no bald patches I doubt it is anything else to be honest.
Sarah

i agree with sarahjane, after I have my hair extensions out my hair always feels thinner and coz my hair naturally grows outwards normally I find that after having extensions my hair looks longer because it has been pulled downwards. with the natural hair shedding i usually have a build up aswell.

Thanks ladies, I am pretty sure hair is thinner, I gave the clients hair a cut and yes it did look better but have before pics to compare with and hair does look thinner , plus if feeling the top and comparing to the hair that has had the extensions in it again feels thinner, its definately one I have not come across before x
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

hi guys no other feedback then ? Has anyone else experienced this when they know hair is thinner and not just an illusion ? X
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry it's just really hair to say without knowing what the consultation consisted of , have seen the hair before extensions, seen the extensions before removal and then the hair after.
Basically it's hard to say having not seen the client.;)

Thanks hun, yes i completely see where your coming from, im just going to monitor this one really closely .

Hi siansy ..... it might be that your client has not been pressing or supporting the roots with her other hand whilst blow drying and using the hair straighteners on it ,

if the roots aren't supported and she is pulling at them with the straighteners right down the length of it ....then this type of thing can cause thinning especially if clients aren't used to styling longer hair,

you may have noticed lots of hair fall trapped inside the bonds at maintenance ? .....

We know that its recommended that clients only double the length of their own hair.....

but.... we sometimes make judgment calls for clients who desperately want a bit of extra length....

and a few extra inches is usually ok
just as long as the client takes plenty of extra care ..... and doesn't couple it with unsupported rough pulling and rough drying of the roots as described above

Make sure there is enough of the clients own hair in with the extension hair to fully support the bit of extra length

I too would keep a close eye on it .... as you may need to feather it out or cut some length off it to make it lighter ....as some clients can't always have this extra length !

you may need to take it out after so many weeks ....especially if you suspect she is pulling it with straightening irons or bow drying brushes etc

she simply may not be a good candidate for hair extensions .....

Hard to find the true reason though :lol: lol

Thankyou Minky,

That was just the sort of feedback I was looking for , i cant believe i didnt think of her holding the bonds while brushing, styling ect as i know as the bonds grow down the clients own hair can become more vunerable. When I checked at 6 weeks it was doing great . although this was her first set she was great at looking after them, bond seperation ect and no matting. Her hair length is 9 inches and extensions 18 inches so maximum for her. There was alot of shedded hair in the bonds so this cd possibly be one of the reasons. Im removing at 10 weeks instead of 12 this time so hopefully i can see an improvement. Thanks again x

Hi Siansy ,

Can you just humour me for a minute and tell us whether you are a qualified hairdresser please ? Cheers:D

Hi Siansy ,

Can you just humour me for a minute and tell us whether you are a qualified hairdresser please ? Cheers:D

Hi hun, interesting way of humouring someone :D and yes i'm qualified , NVQ/ City and Guilds, Balmain and Cinderella trained in Hair Extensions for 6 years x

hi lucelasticx, can you please tell me why you are asking people if they are qualified hairdressers ? just want to know what i have missed been away for a while, and yes i am city and guilds plus HNC tutor plus twenty seven years experience of my own shop, just in case you ask;)

It is because we have had lots of non hairdressers on here who have done two day ext courses wanting tons of help. All us hair pro's are cheesed off with dopey dabblers asking stupid questions then arguing about the answers. Almost all us regular hair forum people have been on the receiving end of this.

When we have pointed out the obvious (to us), some of us have had abuse.

It is because we have had lots of non hairdressers on here who have done two day ext courses wanting tons of help. All us hair pro's are cheesed off with dopey dabblers asking stupid questions then arguing about the answers. Almost all us regular hair forum people have been on the receiving end of this.

When we have pointed out the obvious (to us), some of us have had abuse.

The above is why i am asking if people are qualified. I am trying to protect our industry and obviously i thought if people were qualified you wouldnt have a problem with confirming it. Too many people who have listed themselves as hair pros are nothing of the sort !!!!:(

Hello ..... lucelastix is right!.... fully qualified hairdressing professionals on here don't mind offering professional advice on hair extensions to those of us who are also fully qualified hairdressers or equal ....

but to offer pro advice to a non professional that has skipped the entire hairdressing qualification eg NVL 2 or equal ..... in our eyes would not be professional to answer on here ! ...... non professional hair extensionists will never know how to cut and finish the job they started unless they get trained up to do so !

Deep down they know this !..... they know they have done things the wrong way round !...
and it's the intelligent ones that will listen .... and will go and get trained up to join and become a trained hair professional...

There have been quite a few intelligent ones on here who have realized that they that want to get on and be fully trained and proficient in cutting....
some have even said they will be now be taking a professional hairdressing course ..... Well done to all of to those of you who listened ....
and are currently seeking professional hairdressing training,
Afterwards you will be will be able cut and finish anything that you started with confidence .the problems are the unscrupulous self taught dabblers/ non hairdressers who want to make a fast buck but!.... they actually think they are qualified after a short course ....
they then think that we professionals who have trained for many years should be answering their questions !!! :( its pretty annoying

To all non professionals who are seeking professional advice ......
A fully qualified hair person will soon see you are a non professional
and may ask you ? "are you a fully qualified hairdresser ? "

The reason being is..... we are not allowed to give professional advice to non professionals on here ....

Therefore if you cannot professionally cut or finish what you started !
then .. that that would deem you a non professional !....

Once you are sussed out as being a non professional hairdresser :o

Another non pro ..... may feel sorry for you and and try to answer your questions ..... but...with equal non pro advice ....

which makes a complete mockery of the hairdressing industry and is a major slap in the face to all who have trained for many years to become true professionals.

So..... hopefully
we can help and point all the non professional hairdressers/ extensionists in the right direction for hairdressing training .

and the dabblers should go and find a DIY hair forum!!

Most of the serious and sensible non hairdressing extensionists will recognize the fact .... that they need to gain further training in hairdressing which will enable them to gain confidence in all aspects of their chosen field and they will be able to cut and finish hair with complete confidence.

and of course they will always have the backing of this professional forum,
plus after training .... they themselves will be answering professional questions too.
So good luck to all who are going to take the professional route :) minky

Latest posts

Back