This is why I started off by DIYing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

char1112

Reaction score
I know a lot of you are against DIYers but that is how I started out. So I'm on my holidays and I decided I'd treat myself, my nails were getting to be a bit grown out and needed redoing.

I went to a nail bar that advertised CND Shellac power polish so I went in and they asked what I had on my nails so I told them it was gelish.

They soaked off my gelish in a bowl of acetone and buffed it off with an e-file, she's cut off my eponychium around all my nails and has got uv gel polish (not a brand I recognised, no base coat, silver top) over the skin around a few of my nails.

I'm so annoyed, my nails are sore and I can't pick the uv polish off my skin because they're too sore.

I need to grow a backbone and should have said no when she started with the e-file.

This is why I started DIYing. I'm so annoyed and feel really sorry for my poor nails :(

Also I have no cuticle oil, can anyone think of anything I can use to make my nails feel less sore?xx

Olive oil ? I got my level 2 in acrylics, but was not confident with them. so A jamacan lady who I met through a salon (complicated story) who 'taught me acrylics' well, she boosted my confidence with a 'lesson', when I was so afraid of doing them about 6 years ago, anyway she said use Olive oil.fkw.

Olive oil ? I got my level 2 in acrylics, but was not confident with them. so A jamacan lady who I met through a salon (complicated story) who 'taught me acrylics' well, she boosted my confidence with a 'lesson', when I was so afraid of doing them about 6 years ago, anyway she said use Olive oil.fkw.

Thanks so much, I'll see if I can find any around the hotel xx

Also I have no cuticle oil, can anyone think of anything I can use to make my nails feel less sore?xx

Do you have any tea tree oil? Since she cut your eponychium and your nails are sore, a little anti-bacterial action may be in order.

Do you have any tea tree oil? Since she cut your eponychium and your nails are sore, a little anti-bacterial action may be in order.

I've got alcohol free antibacterial wipes? Do you think that'll work? My cuticle oil ran out last week, I might nip to the shop see if I can find some because I've only really brought basic stuff with me :( xx

I've got alcohol free antibacterial wipes? Do you think that'll work? My cuticle oil ran out last week, I might nip to the shop see if I can find some because I've only really brought basic stuff with me :( xx

They'll probably do a good job in terms of killing any bacteria, but even alcohol free tends to be drying. I never leave home without tea tree oil - I use it as cuticle oil, but it's great for cuts, scrapes, zits, rashes, etc.

I know what you mean though. I once jumped right out of the chair when a tech came at me with an efile to remove my Shellac. What part of "soak-off" was he not getting?

I just stated at her in horror, she started off by only buffing the top so I thought it was just a quicker way of doing it but then after soaking for two minutes she continued with the efile!? Luckily I have really strong nails so they don't feel too thin but I'm so annoyed with myself for staying, going to soak them off as soon as I get home and assess the damage :(

Right the shop don't sell tea tree so I'm going to use the antibacterial wipes and pop some face moisturiser on them for a bit then before I head out tonight I'll check the drug store for tea tree oil xx

Didn't realise they still cut eponychium, I had mine cut once and it really hurt

Didn't realise they still cut eponychium, I had mine cut once and it really hurt

They aren't meant to, just some people are stuck in their ways. It can cause scar tissue build up because it's live skin xx

A lot of fabulous techs start out as DIYers , its a good place to start ,
but I really hope you do plan on getting some formal training ?
If you have the interest in nails and
you know what you don't like as a customer ,
Then you have a good head start . :) something to bring to the nail table so to speak .

E-files are not always the wrong thing sounds like this instance it was , it really makes me sad how many people have been hurt by techs using them wrong or for the wrong reasons they really are wonderful tools when used properly .
But it gives us techs who use them correctly a bad name people see an rifle on your desk and run away lol

Solar oil is fabby for burns definitely invest in a bottle ,

Don't pick the Shellac off your skin ,your right it will hurt more , just oil up it will come off when your rubbing the oil on ,

product is attracted to keratin and not skin cells that's why we get lifting when product is on cuticle that's not been removed properly or side walls.

Last edited:
If you knew right off the start that something wasn't right, why on earth did you stay in the chair for the rest of the service?
You knew better, yet you still allowed it.
Polysporin and lots of cuticle oil throughout the day.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

A lot of fabulous techs start out as DIYers , its a good place to start ,
but I really hope you do plan on getting some formal training ?
If you have the interest in nails and
you know what you don't like as a customer ,
Then you have a good head start . :) something to bring to the nail table so to speak .

E-files are not always the wrong thing sounds like this instance it was , it really makes me sad how many people have been hurt by techs using them wrong or for the wrong reasons they really are wonderful tools when used properly .
But it gives us techs who use them correctly a bad name people see an rifle on your desk and run away lol

Solar oil is fabby for burns definitely invest in a bottle ,

Don't pick the Shellac off your skin ,your right it will hurt more , just oil up it will come off when your rubbing the oil on ,

product is attracted to keratin and not skin cells that's why we get lifting when product is on cuticle that's not been removed properly or side walls.

I'm trained now, I've trained with gelish and have been qualified for a yearish :) but this is one of the reasons I started because I've had my nails ruined before xx

If you knew right off the start that something wasn't right, why on earth did you stay in the chair for the rest of the service?
You knew better, yet you still allowed it.
Polysporin and lots of cuticle oil throughout the day.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm really bad with confrontation and complaining. Especially since the salon was full and they squeezed me in, I don't want to cause a scene. It's my fault my nails are a mess now I know but I'm so nervous with things like that x

You could try lavender oil or aloe vera too

Right the shop don't sell tea tree so I'm going to use the antibacterial wipes and pop some face moisturiser on them for a bit then before I head out tonight I'll check the drug store for tea tree oil xx

How'd you go? Any better today/tonight? (Tonight where I am) xx

Coconut oil!!! My doctor recommend this to me when I had a case of paronychia (bad spa day) anyways it worked for me😃 I can't begin to tell you the wonders of this oil! X

I found a shop that sold tea tree oil so I've been applying that like a mad woman, around my nails is so much better now and isn't sore at all, the polish on my skin has came of (slightly chipping the polish on one of my nails) but my nails and skin look good. Thanks so much everyone xx

i tell people if they are going to a nail place, while picking out polish ask for the ladies room and walk slooowly through. you can watch and see how they do things and if you KNOW they are doing something wrong you can leave.

then you leave without confrontation.

Latest posts

Back