This is why I started off by DIYing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i tell people if they are going to a nail place, while picking out polish ask for the ladies room and walk slooowly through. you can watch and see how they do things and if you KNOW they are doing something wrong you can leave.

then you leave without confrontation.

Definitely doing this next time (if there is a next time) I pretty much always do my own nails but I thought I'd treat myself while on holiday :( xx

I wanted to treat myself to having my nails done in Thailand recently.
I walked into a nail salon asking if they did acrylic nails.

She replied that they did & have been doing them for 20 years.

I asked which products they used & if I could see the product to which she said "no"
I asked if they contained MMA to which she said " what is that? "
"Methyl methacrylate" I replied.
"I don't know, but we have been doing them for 20 years"

I left without having them done!

Last edited:
I walked into a nail salon asking if they did gel nails.

I asked which products they used & if I could see the product to which she said "no"

Sounds like "I don't really know what I'm doing but I've been doing it 20 years" to me!

But there is no MMA in Gel :confused: the only time it's a problem is when it is an ingredient in monomer liquid.

But there is no MMA in Gel :confused: the only time it's a problem is when it is an ingredient in monomer liquid.

Lol......I meant to write acrylics.....duhhhh
Best I go back & change it. :)

Sounds to me like the "salon" it's self may have been there 20 years.... But I doubt she had 20 years under her belt lol!!

I walked into a nail salon asking if they did acrylic nails.

Reading this thread reminds me of my holiday in Turkey last year. Decided to get a Shellac mani whilst I was there as it's always nice to be on the receiving end of a treatment.

I just about managed to remain seated whilst she tried to soak off my existing Gelish in her warm 'communal' acetone bath.

I also bit my tongue and refrained from commenting when she picked at her own hangnails whilst waiting for the acetone to work (hoping optimistically that she'd sanitise the nippers before using them on me).

I finally said something when she started to try and scrape off my Gelish with a metal nail file and insisted that she soak for a little longer.

When she started cutting at the eponychium however, that was me leaping up and beating a hasty retreat, whilst the owner chased after me trying to get me to come back :D

I'm the world's worst for confrontation - I even hate speaking up sometimes if I'm doing a class! :o

But I absolutely could not sit through any if those instances above! Communal acetone baths, cuticles being nipped right off, nail plates being scraped silly :eek:

I adore being pampered and sometimes wish I could have my nails done but couldn't trust anyone I didn't know l, or have recommended, to do them :o

I originally trained professionally, 7 years ago, as I physically can't stand (my chest tightens and my stomach churns) people filing my nails, even just with a grit file. Come near me with an efile and I break land speed records legging out of the salon. It is very difficult trying to do a treatment when your client is behaving like they have had an electric shock, when you so much as show them a nail file.
I once accidentally kicked a chiropodist/podiatrist, when he was treating me, in the end he had to give me a magazine and made me hold it up, so I couldn't see what he was doing.
I do sometimes think it would be nice to treat myself (on holiday or at a spa) and have someone do my nails for a change, but now if I add the horror stories (communal acetone bath....eeeeuuuuugghhh) in this thread, to my phobia, I think it is best I stick to doing my own nails and don't risk it. I know there are a lot of very talented technicians out there, but I think I am just too much to handle :)

Last edited:
I'm the world's worst for confrontation - I even hate speaking up sometimes if I'm doing a class! :o

But I absolutely could not sit through any if those instances above! Communal acetone baths, cuticles being nipped right off, nail plates being scraped silly :eek:

I adore being pampered and sometimes wish I could have my nails done but couldn't trust anyone I didn't know l, or have recommended, to do them :o

I think a communal acetone bath sounds disgusting but I don't think anything would survive in acetone , so it's probably "clean" enough and no, I'm not saying its ok . Lol

I do my own nails and waxing , I wouldn't let anyone do my eyebrows , ever...I remember I had a growth in the middle of my eyebrow and had to get it cut out. I was there, warning the doctor not to mess up my brows, he was probably thinking...do you want it removed or not ? You loon!

It's amazing how many people say nothing and sit through a crappy service or in a dirty salon...I mean you wouldn't eat in a dirty restaurant would you?

Happy birthday Linzi btw. X

Latest posts

Back