Time of the month!! - Women only.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPIGeek

Reaction score
Hey Ladies..

i know the title doesnt sound so visually appealing to read (well its not visually appealing in any sense really is it).. but a thread on here some time ago made me think..

The thread was called "Whats in your handbag"

Many of you in your contents of what was in them stated 'Tampax' in fact this was the only brand even mentioned..

Ive been having trouble with my time of the month's for a very long time.. particularly at night... I cannot move a muscle while sleeping and have to maintain one position from when i get into bed to the moment when i get up .. else.. im in trouble...

So.. I thought.. maybe.. Tampax is the answer as appose to Towels.... I bought a box this morning after walking round the supermarket aisles 10 times feeling embarrassed as if I was buying something naughty lol But i'm scared of using them... so I wanted to ask women who have possible changed to them from using Towels.. how they feel about them.. Or any opinions from anyone really.

I just know I cant go on the way I am, its got to a point where for the past year I would continuoulsy take the pill so not to go on.. or when I was on, I take naps on the sofa and do not go to bed for the week or so.
I cannot keep doing this now with the pill as hubby and I are now trying for a baby.. yipee..

Sorry this ended up being long, any opinions greatly appreciated.. :o

xx

I have used both and still use both!!!

When I was on the pill my periods were quite light and then tampax worked well.

then I had the depo jab (contraceptive jab) and didn't have a period - yipeeee:green:

after I had George (5th son) I was sterilised when he was six weeks old!

My periods since then are again really really heavy - so much so that I have to change (a tampax) every 1/2 hr in the first 2 days of my period. I try not to go out of the house or sit on the sofa:eek: So I changed back to towels and use two at a time:eek: on a night I put a bath sheet under my bum so that if anything goes wrong:wink2: it catches most of it, then day three onwards I can usually use a tampax.

When I went for my annual smear, the doctor always asks you about your periods and when I told her how heavy they were, (she gave me the option of having a type of coil which is used for contraception even though I have been sterilised - oops I can't remember the name of it) and it stops your periods like the depo job does - I wish now that I had let her give me it now but dare n't go back - roll on next smear:lol:

I've always used the non-applicator ones (lill-lets) ever since i was about 16/17 and never had any problems, can't bear wearing pads (had to though after giving birth) feels like i have a doorstep between my legs lol!!!

[

When I went for my annual smear, the doctor always asks you about your periods and when I told her how heavy they were, (she gave me the option of having a type of coil which is used for contraception even though I have been sterilised - oops I can't remember the name of it) and it stops your periods like the depo job does - I wish now that I had let her give me it now but dare n't go back - roll on next smear:lol:[/quote]

I have this coil, its called the Mirena, its for contraception or heaviness and pain. I have been sterilised so have it purely for the second reason. I am having quite a fair bit of pain with it, but nothing like how bad it was. I have been told it takes about 6 months to settle down but lasts for 5 years! This would be no good for you OPI Geek as you are trying for a baby, maybe you should speak to your GP and see if he can suggest anything. In the meantime maybe you could try what my sis did, she used tampons and towels.

hi, ive had the coil after my first baby and think its great, (as far as great goes anyway) my periods are really heavy for the first day and so i now use tampax with a towel, after the first day i use just tampax, ive been using them since i was about 15, also like them beacause it doesnt feel like your wearing a nappy and you feel more clean. (if that makes any sense?) XxX

It makes alot of sense Gem... :)

My GP just suggests the pill or some other pills. all of which are unsuitable for me trying to become pregnant. The nurse just tells me to get over it and stop moaning.

Do you guys.. or have u ever had problems with sleeping? in terms of moving around when your sleeping?

I really feel im a minority as far as sleeping problems with being on goes.. ive asked my friends and family and none of them have such an issue, all sleep soundly and anywhich way they like..

OPIGeek said:
do you guys.. or have u ever had problems with sleeping? in terms of moving around when your sleeping?

I really feel im a minority as far as sleeping problems with being on goes.. ive asked my friends and family and none of them have such an issue, all sleep soundly and anywhich way they like..

answer no - but there again I have to have sleeping tablets anyway and if i don't take them, i only have about 2 - 3 hrs. when i'm on, it can be even less cos i think if i "leak" peeps will think i'm dirty - my over imaginative mind thinks that i smell that i'm dirty that i'm unattractive etc - do i need to go on:?: :?: :Love:

i always have nurefen tablets to hand at the time of the month it stops my pain and before i go to bed i put a towel underneath me, alot of the time nothing happens but if it does its not the end of the world, get up have a shower do the washing and carry on with your day. its fantastic when your pregnant too, no periods for 9 mths, WOW! i need to be pregnant agian. (only joking) lol

nurofen and paromol (parecetomol and codiene) - dentist advised hubby when having probs with wisdom teeth that he could take both together - helps lots - paracetomal /codiene for normal pain - nurofen for muscle pain - can't remember what the technicle word is - (ahhh remembered imflammatory - sos for all the sp mistakes:lol: ) hope this helps:hug:

I feel exactly the same Snuggle.. the slightest leak and i feel the daily post is out.. "im dirty".. and i cant have my hubby hugging me too close even though he loves to do it more during this time to soothe me and reassure me incase my emotions are going mad lol

I only got 1 and 1/2 hours lastnight.. my 1st night on... it only gets worse now.. im already depressing about going sleep tonight...

I havent had much pain this month (touch wood) so its just Aunt Flo im worried about.. but i do take paracetamol and codeine when it is very bad pain.

i hope your going to be ok opigeek ive never experienced problems sleeping while on so cant really give advise. although when i have a cold and cant sleep i have astrallian all in's and they knock me out. XxX

sorry to hear of your dilemma pet, i cant help you as i had a hysterectomy 21 years ago. yey no more of that crap every month lol - and i cant say i miss it either -

on a more serious note tho - i couldnt use towels, they are sooooooooooooooo uncomfortable. felt like a bath towel..........if you use tampax, just make sure you get it to "pop" then its in the right place.......worked for me, and never had any probs

Funny really geeks, i am the opposite, i cannot use tampax/liletts or any type for that matter, i use always towels, I have tried tampax but i just cannot get on with them at all,

i have had sooo many problems with my periods its untrue, i'm only 21 but i have been on 8 different contraceptive pills, the injection and had the implant you'd think they'd get it right after 10 years but nope not yet.
I took my pill constantly for 16 months (naughty).
I had a reaction to my pill last year and my belly was so swollen i looked 6 months pregnant, to much oestragen in one place and not circling like it should, Joy!!!!!!!

Now i am not on anything at all and my periods are fine and normal, no pain, i can sleep, My fella syas i am still a bi**h BUT HEY nevermind x x x x :D

i used to have horrendus periods , couldnt get outta bed the frst 2 days s the pain and flooding was so bad :cry: i have always used tampax could'nt get on with them lilett things , i need the applicator it makes it easier :green:
anyway i only figured out what caused it , when i came off my pill to get pregnant the 1st time , it had been my pill :( and for years i suffered in silence and just got on with it , after i had james i went on a different pill and have been loads better , hth dee xxx

I would like to strongly recommend the Mooncup menstrual cup. http://www.mooncup.co.uk/index.htm I bought one about 4 years ago, and it has been so convenient, so comfortable and must have saved me hundreds of pounds by now.

What it is, is a tiny cup made of silcone (so it's nice and soft and squashy) which you insert in your vagina during your period. Unlike tampons, which soak up the blood, menstrual cups simply catch it. This is much better for your body - it retains your body's natural defences and doesn't give you that horrible dry feeling you often get with tampons. When the cup is full, you simply empty it down the toilet, rinse (or wipe) and re-insert.

In between your cycles you can either boil it or use something like Milton to sanitise it.

It is especially suitable if you have heavy periods as it catches more than tampons do, and you can leave it in overnight no problem. It is so comfortable and hassle free, you can get changed in a public changing room without worrying about things showing, and swim, cycle, stay round other peoples houses or hotels without worrying about leaking. I only wish i'd known about it sooner!

I am always paranoid about leaking. I get the Tampax box with a mixture of sizes in. It has 4 mini for the last day of your period, several regular ones and several maxi ones and since I started using a variety I dont feel so paranoid about leaking. I also wear an always ultra (has to be the really slim ones for me) Night towel in bed just in case. I do sometimes use lilets as previously mentioned they expand widthways and feel really secure, if Im REALLY heavy.

I always used Lilets when younger but then became concerned after a friend got toxic shock syndrome so stopped using them. I use always now just for 2 days I have a mirena coil my 2nd in 10 years so periods are no much hassle.

yogacat said:
I would like to strongly recommend the Mooncup menstrual cup. http://www.mooncup.co.uk/index.htm I bought one about 4 years ago, and it has been so convenient, so comfortable and must have saved me hundreds of pounds by now.

What it is, is a tiny cup made of silcone (so it's nice and soft and squashy) which you insert in your vagina during your period. Unlike tampons, which soak up the blood, menstrual cups simply catch it. This is much better for your body - it retains your body's natural defences and doesn't give you that horrible dry feeling you often get with tampons. When the cup is full, you simply empty it down the toilet, rinse (or wipe) and re-insert.

No offence Yogacat, but this sounds awful :eek: :eek: . I don't think I would be able to use this.

When I used to have periods, I always used the applicator tampons and never had a problem.

When I just started having them, my mum bought me towels and I HATED them. I really thought they were disgusting ! I used tampons all my life until I went onto Depo and didn't have a period for 13 years !

River

For a first time tampax user i would recommend the really small ones first...they are no thicker than your little finger...and dab a bit of ky on the end to help it glide...most of all relax. Put one foot on the bath and guide the tampax in...practice with your finger if it makes you feel better...i only ever used towels after giving birth and i hated them...then had the coil fitted nearly 5 years ago and havent had a period in 4 years...its been great. xx

Latest posts

Back