Time of the month!! - Women only.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree with Angie. when you first use them, use the mini one, attempt it once, if you can't get it in, don't panic and try another, just use a towel, and when you change your towel later try again. otherwise you will get frustrated you can't do it by the time you've wasted 4 and be getting yourself in a right tizz. sounds gross but put your finger up so you know which "angle" you are. don't push the tampon straight up, push towards the small of your back/top of your butt. as long as you are relaxed you will get it pretty quick. and don't worry, its not going to get lost, you won't lose the string or anything. i've been using them for so long i can't remember and never had any problems.

i've always used tampons. i use tampax because i prefer the way they expand (i don't like lillets as they expand sideways and i have a hard time getting them out! but my mum prefers them to tampax because she can feel a tampax expand lengthways so its all about personal preference). i also think they are easier to insert.

sometimes if its a bad month, i'll wear a tampax and an 'always' pad at night for extra protection.

I have to use lillets. Can't do with that tampax applicator thing. I used to get really bad pain but once I started looking at the reasons why I noticed that the more 'unhealthy' foods I ate the worse the pain and the cramps were. I now eat some fruit and lots and lots of veg (yes, I do slip up), white meat and fish only at home. My periods are now lighter and I don't get as much pain. I also take vitamin supplements too - I should take zinc and magnesium but I just take Berroca which is amazing and a vitamin A,C,&D everday.

I was on the pill for heavy periods and cramps and stuff but I came off it a few years ago as a personal choice.

I have fairly bad periods, they were worse before I had my son and then they got better and are gradually becoming more and more painfull and heavier.

I have to use tampax and towels as tampax only lasts me about half an hour and that's a super one, I tryed using them as soon as I started my periods, but found they made me feel sick when I put it up, but I got used to them, although I think the pain is worse when I do use them, so I only use them on the really bad days.

I use feminax to take the pain away, you can get them over the counter and they are fantastic, I also use stomach pads that stick to your belly and they warm up which helps with the pain, they are quite expensive but well worth it, I also use stomach cream which is wonderfull if you get your hubby to rub it in, the cream and pads are by lillets.

I wish the men had our problems!

Becky
x

When I first started my periods I used towels for about four years but they made me feel unlean and dirty (i'm a bit funny about cleanliness down there).

My mum told me to try tampons and I hated it.

I stood in the bathroom with her on the other side of the door shouting backwards and forwards 'Mum I can't do it' .... 'just push it in and up' .... 'I'm trying but it's not going anywhere' .... 'Do you want me to come in' .... 'No leave me alone i'll do it myself'.

That went on for ages and I tried daily to get it right.

What was my problem? I was too nervous/tense!!

Now I wouldn't use anything else.

Just a little tip....if you can feel it when it is in and it feels like it isn't 'sat' in the right place then you need to take it out and try again.

I like Harvey use the mixed box too as i'm really heavy at the start, light in the middle and then there is hardly anything at the end. I use panty liners too to be sure I don't leak!

i suffered very heavy and painfull periods after haveing my kids, i found the norplant helped a lot, it is 5 match size pieces of rubber inserted in a fan shape in to the arm just under the skin and lasts 5 years, i didnt feel it being put in and the bruising didnt laast to long, it didnt hurt but did feel a little odd for a few days.

thankfully i dont need it now as i had a full hystorectomy when i was 23, so no more problems for me:)

I only used to use towels. When I was younger I had a go at Tampax and didnt like it, I could feel it and you shouldnt be able to. It was because I was so nervous and tense I wasnt doing it properly, but that put me off trying again.
Then when I started my nail college course I relised the uniform was white, aghhh! So I gave them another go and because I'm older and more familar with my body now, they went in so easily.
On heavy days I wear a sainsburys nighttime towel and a tampax, I do this at night as well.
I used to have restless nights worrying about "leaking", I also think its to do with your body temp rising as well.
When I was younger and stayed at my nans, because I was so worried I would leak I slept on top of plastic bags instead of talking to her about it.
My hubbie is wonderful he dosent care if I leak cos he doesnt change the bedsheets!
Heavy days take some paracetamol, put p.js on and lay a towel across the bed. Try using a few different products i.e. lillets/tampax with a combination of towels till you find what makes you comfortable and if you aint happy with your doctor ask to see another one.
Good luck.

Hey .. you women are fabulous, i so dont feel alone anymore... ok here is my update on lastnight..

As i mentioned in my first message.. i bought some tampax.. i bought the super ones as I a pretty heavy right now...

I decided to try it out lastnight... having read the leaflet and website over and over for an hour prior to trying I was prepared of how to do it..

It went in straight away, and though it wasnt uncomfortable.. i could slightly feel it... as i knew i had pushed it as much as it needed it must have just been the conscious feeling of knowing it is there..

I wore a Always Night time pad with it too... I slept still on one side which means i have a backache and dead left side still.. I just felt too scared to move..

i woke upto goto the loo once and this is where im baffled... i only have a little bit of string left.. so how can i move it when not needing to change it?
This is the only bit of it that doesnt sound too hygenic.

Another question, Ive read up on TSS so to be familiar with it should any symptoms occue.. but the leaflet states that you should have a gap once a day of using tampons and use a towel instead... I have to say i think i could really get my life back by using Tampons and therefore wouldnt want to revert once a day to Towels again, do you ladies do as they advise?

xx

I dont wear tampax for the whole period just a couple of days.
Try using a combination of them so that you only have to use tampax on heavier days.
Once you get used to them you'll relax more at nighttime.

OPIGeek said:
Hey .. you women are fabulous, i so dont feel alone anymore... ok here is my update on lastnight..

As i mentioned in my first message.. i bought some tampax.. i bought the super ones as I a pretty heavy right now...

I decided to try it out lastnight... having read the leaflet and website over and over for an hour prior to trying I was prepared of how to do it..

It went in straight away, and though it wasnt uncomfortable.. i could slightly feel it... as i knew i had pushed it as much as it needed it must have just been the conscious feeling of knowing it is there..

I wore a Always Night time pad with it too... I slept still on one side which means i have a backache and dead left side still.. I just felt too scared to move..

i woke upto goto the loo once and this is where im baffled... i only have a little bit of string left.. so how can i move it when not needing to change it?

Another question, Ive read up on TSS so to be familiar with it should any symptoms occue.. but the leaflet states that you should have a gap once a day of using tampons and use a towel instead... I have to say i think i could really get my life back by using Tampons and therefore wouldnt want to revery once a day to Towels again, do you ladies do as they advise?

xx

Hun,

Once your tampon is in and you have a towel too don't worry about moving about. Nothing happens if you move!

I personally don't wear them at night but if that is what suits you then fine!

Also just move the string to one side or upwards out of the way!

had an avon book yesterday, and inthere is a thing you put on your tummy, which is desgned to help with painful periods, it's called ladycare.
don't have any problems now, cause i have depo.
but if i did i would give it a try, as to many painkillers arenot good for you

OPIGeek said:

Hi sweet, if you can feel it, its not far enuff in, just try to go that bit further, and aim as centrally as you can.

Just bite the bullet & move the string backward, you'll just wash your hands after!:o
Another question, Ive read up on TSS so to be familiar with it should any symptoms occue.. but the leaflet states that you should have a gap once a day of using tampons and use a towel instead...
I only stop using them for the last day if i'm really light.
I have to say i think i could really get my life back by using Tampons and therefore wouldnt want to revert once a day to Towels again, do you ladies do as they advise?
No, cos i've had really embarassing disasters using towels:o :o :o :o :o !

xx
Good luck darling! xxx

Hun if your pains are that bad I use FEMINAX tablets!

They are fab and take all the pain away. You get them from boots!

I also find a hot water bottle or heat pads ease the pain and make me feel tons better!

I have to use towels as tampons make me violently ill. As soon as i start using it, i have stomach cramps, back ache, I feel sick, I cant move, dizziness. The list goes on...

I said this to my sister the other week and funny enough my two older sisters and my mother are all the same!! Non of us can wear them!:rolleyes:

No I dont wear a towel once a day and Ive been using tampons for over 10 years. I just wear a towel on the very las day when there is not enough flow to even warrant a mini tampon

Ur Fab Ruth xx

How did you ladies learn about what absorbency tampon u should use, I ask because even though I think im heavy or quite heavy. or light, it might not be what the packet advises is heavy or light... the back of the packet I bought shows absorbency interms of the amount you release in weight.. but er.. i dont weigh it.. lol so how do i know?

xx

I started off on light and when my tampon leaked after 15 mins I realised they weren't absorbent enough so I stepped it up, the same thing happened after about half an hour, so i stepped it up again and the same thing happened again.

I am on super flow now and never had a problem.

You will just know what is right for you.

I lose a lot of blood, you might not think your flow is that bad.

well its really just trial and error. If after 3-4 hours (or less) you have leaked a lot then you need to use a higher absorbancy. If when you remove your tampon there is lots of white fibre visible you need to switch to lower. I would wear a pad until you get the hang of it if you have heavy periods

Pixi said:
I have to use lillets. Can't do with that tampax applicator thing. I used to get really bad pain but once I started looking at the reasons why I noticed that the more 'unhealthy' foods I ate the worse the pain and the cramps were. I now eat some fruit and lots and lots of veg (yes, I do slip up), white meat and fish only at home. My periods are now lighter and I don't get as much pain. I also take vitamin supplements too - I should take zinc and magnesium but I just take Berroca which is amazing and a vitamin A,C,&D everday.

I was on the pill for heavy periods and cramps and stuff but I came off it a few years ago as a personal choice.

I agree with , ive noticed if im on my period and i eat well not loads of crap the pain and the sweats r far less than if i eat loads of crisps and chips n that, i use tampax and always have done dont think i could use anything else and i take my pill back to back for 3 months at a time 4 periods a year is enough for me id struggle with the healthy eating every month!!!

yogacat said:
I would like to strongly recommend the Mooncup menstrual cup. http://www.mooncup.co.uk/index.htm I bought one about 4 years ago, and it has been so convenient, so comfortable and must have saved me hundreds of pounds by now.

What it is, is a tiny cup made of silcone (so it's nice and soft and squashy) which you insert in your vagina during your period. Unlike tampons, which soak up the blood, menstrual cups simply catch it. This is much better for your body - it retains your body's natural defences and doesn't give you that horrible dry feeling you often get with tampons. When the cup is full, you simply empty it down the toilet, rinse (or wipe) and re-insert.

In between your cycles you can either boil it or use something like Milton to sanitise it.

It is especially suitable if you have heavy periods as it catches more than tampons do, and you can leave it in overnight no problem. It is so comfortable and hassle free, you can get changed in a public changing room without worrying about things showing, and swim, cycle, stay round other peoples houses or hotels without worrying about leaking. I only wish i'd known about it sooner!
I've been using the mooncup for the last 3 months, even though I am heavy to start off with its been fine. I have found it very reliable and I like the fact I don't get thrush at the end of every period, I don't have a bag full of tampax all the time, they are more environmentaly friendly than other things you could use and they are cheeper in the long run! You can buy them from Boots as well.

i cant use tampax as they fall out (prolapse!!!)
and cant have the pill injection anymore (depression!!!)
so im stuck with what mother nature intended unfortunatlly :irked:

Latest posts

Back