Timing for a full set of Gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perfected

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to gels, and am wondering if taking 2.5 hours is ridiculous for a full set? I used natural tips, and Lechat powder system. How long did it take you when you started doing full sets with gel? And over time, how did your timing improve? Have any advice? I know some things just come with time, and also was using the Pro*tec top coat which made little bubbles over unseen fuzz still on the nail...which took more time for me to file down, reapply, and cure. I think I was too much of a chatty cathy too. :)

Please let me know how you do for time with gels! :) I need some inspiration! :)

Two and a half hours is more than reasonable for someone who just started. I would say focus on your job. Plan every step of your aplication in your head before you do it. Focus on the quality first, speed will come with practise.

Since I just started out I'm still finding my rhythm down. I was unsure of a few things I was doing due to improper and lack of training in my school, but thankfully angel fingers cleared up my concerns/lack of knowledge. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

Seriously if you have just started, I completely agree that 2,5 hours for a full set of nails is very well done! (And hopefully the nails are, too :green:)

When I started, it took me 3,5 hours and even then, the finished result was absolutely rubbish. I have only been doing nails for 3 months altogether, and now I am able to finish a full set in 2,5 hours. I know, I am slow... :confused:
And still there are so many things that are off in my nails. It takes such a long time to master the skills, in my opinion. (Then again, I have not been able to practice anywhere near full time, so my progress of getting better is slower than it would be if I didn´t have all sorts of other things to do as well.)

By the way, in my CND Brisa education the final diploma work includes both an actual exam (written part) and then nails. And the nails have to be finished in 2,5 hours! So even after practising, and after succesfully passing the exams, one can call themselves a professional nail tech (well at least a nail technician with a recognized training and diploma), and still take 2,5 hrs to do nails.

In my experience, for most techs around here it takes approx. 2 hours to finish a full set. Supposedly with time comes the skill and with skill comes the speed. ;)

My first full set took 5 hours !!!! My second 3 hours and third 2.5 hours (but they were awfull, lots of errors). Will be doing my fourth tonight but its also part of my training, learning the use of coverage and 'hanging' tips so I'm still mega slow like a snail !!!!

Actually the girl had some issues with her nails, but I think I have the reasoning all sorted out after Angel Fingers helped me. :green:

I'm going into work extra early this morning to reapply the gel overlay to my natural nails. I try not to time myself because it's definitely different when you do your own! lol

I did an overlay on a client today and it took me 1.5 hours. I was pleased with that time. Now to be able to a full set in under 2.5! I only had to do two layers of gel/powder and two thin top coats. I do full cuticle work with the gel, so it's like a mani. I do my manis in 45 minutes. So it took me 45 more minutes to apply the gel and cure. Not too bad.

I've been licensed for 4 years, but am pretty inexperienced with gels. In time. I was quite proud of myself for keeping my head down for the most part. My client was a chatty Cathy too! She was just really excited because she's going to Hawaii tomorrow for her 30th anniversary. We did Beyonnce from Zoya on her fingers and toes. Very pretty color!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm still training , nearly finished yay! it takes me such a long time to do a full set, about 2.5hrs at least! The first set I did on my poor mum took about 4 hours! So I have got my timings down considerably! the nails i'm doing are good and getting better each time.

At college we have 1.5hrs to do a full set which is incredibly annoying and the nails I produce there are awful! I honestly believe that during training we should have more time to produce nice nails whilst working on our application rather than timings!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been worrying because it took me 2.5 hours to do a full set of gels too. I haven't been doing nails very long and I thought I must be rubbish to take so long to do a set!!

ok. now i understand maybe why mine are lifting on the tips! i was worrying about 1 .30 hours! was rushing. (shaking of head) must try harder..................isnt this a great site?!

Seriously if you have just started, I completely agree that 2,5 hours for a full set of nails is very well done! (And hopefully the nails are, too :green:)

When I started, it took me 3,5 hours and even then, the finished result was absolutely rubbish. I have only been doing nails for 3 months altogether, and now I am able to finish a full set in 2,5 hours. I know, I am slow... :confused:
And still there are so many things that are off in my nails. It takes such a long time to master the skills, in my opinion. (Then again, I have not been able to practice anywhere near full time, so my progress of getting better is slower than it would be if I didn´t have all sorts of other things to do as well.)

By the way, in my CND Brisa education the final diploma work includes both an actual exam (written part) and then nails. And the nails have to be finished in 2,5 hours! So even after practising, and after succesfully passing the exams, one can call themselves a professional nail tech (well at least a nail technician with a recognized training and diploma), and still take 2,5 hrs to do nails.

In my experience, for most techs around here it takes approx. 2 hours to finish a full set. Supposedly with time comes the skill and with skill comes the speed. ;)

Nene, are you working in a salon? How much do you charge for a full set compared to the mkt price? I am at2.5 hours too :) I just don't know if clients are ready to sit 2.5 hours and pay the same. I am doing a great job, it just takes me longer. Now I do friends' nails for free, but I am going to start chargins soon....but not so sure how much :-/ I do value my skills and work though ;)

I have been sat doing a set for 4 hours, 5 hours, 6 hours probably even 7 :eek: but it doesnt help when your doing friends nails and you have fag break, tea breaks, loo breaks, chin wags etc etc....it still takes me ages but I did manage ONE set once in 2 and a half hours and generally its still taking me around 3 hours.....so I seriously dont think you need to worry if you can do them in 2 and a half hours already! lol x

Nene, are you working in a salon? How much do you charge for a full set compared to the mkt price? I am at2.5 hours too :) I just don't know if clients are ready to sit 2.5 hours and pay the same. I am doing a great job, it just takes me longer. Now I do friends' nails for free, but I am going to start chargins soon....but not so sure how much :-/ I do value my skills and work though ;)
Liliya, I work both at home, and actually from next week on, in a salon as well.I´ve been working home so that I can improve my skills (and hopefully timing) and practice a lot.
My timing for a full set is till at 2.5 hours, but at least I feel that my work is getting better in other aspects. Also clients have noticed the improvement so that alone makes me feel like a champ even if I am still slow. :green:

At home I charge around 40-50% of the compared full price they charge in many places for a full set. That might be why I have been lucky to get customers, as the prices here for nail enhancement are sky high.
When I start in a salon, I will naturally have to up my prices, because it costs me money to work there. Still, my prices for a full set will be around 80% less than in many places. For rebalances my prices will be around the same compared to some places, cheaper than others, more pricey than others (NSS).

I simply cannot afford to work "for free" (nor would I, I do appreciate my work, no matter how slow) so I will charge for my work and effort (and materials etc.) I may take a bit more time than others do, but as I explain why, clients usually don´t mind the time. If they do, they choose a technician with years of experience under their belt. I will be that technician one day, so for now I will just try to get better and faster. :)

Then again I and the salon I work with can offer many other pros (versus the con of time) - we have a nice and relaxed atmosphere, the salon and cosmetics boutique are very chic and stylish, we all get along well and enjoy what we do, which is something the client surely can sense in the atmosphere, there will always be the cup of tea or coffee with a little chocolate if they want one... and we always make sure to fill the cient information card before any services, just to be safe and make sure we can provide the best services for each client. (In many places here they don´t have those!)

hths xx

Latest posts

Back