Tinting, insurance, waiver

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly Bamboo

Reaction score
Insurance requires a 24hr patch test prior to an eyelash/brow tinting treatment.

In practice, you get new clients wanting to come in for a tint and they say "I don't want to come in to get tested, I have had tinting for years"

I have the options of:

(a) insisting on doing the patch test.

(b) if it is not the client's first time ever, and they do not want to have a patch test, is it possible to get them to sign a waiver?

Waivers are pretty much worthless if your client did ever make a claim a court would not recognise it at all. I don't know of any insurance companies that would accept them.

Also its all very well clients saying they have had them before but I often don't believe this is the case as the previous therapist would (or should) have explained why it is so important to have a test.

If I ever have someone on the phone that gets quite uppity about having a tint test I politely advise them to return to the previous salon as they will probably be able to book them straight in !

You have to be firm on this one - no patch test, no treatment. You will not be covered by your insurance if you don't do a patch test. If anything goes wrong you wouldn't have any back up at all. I explain that it's in the client's best interests to have it done - it's better to find out if they have an allergy on their arm rather than on their eyes. And they wouldn't have any idea whether the brand of tint you use is the same as the one they've been having, so they can't say for sure that it would be ok.

As someone who is very reactive to tints I would always insist on a patch test especially as an allergy can develop at anytime. I used to have my eyelashes tinted when I was much younger and never had a problem but I recently went on a course where they gave me a patch test and my god did I react! I was itching for 5 days! It was agony and I am very glad that I did it as that pain and discomfort on my eyes would have killed me! Or possibly blinded me which is more frightening!

Also, I believe, that if you have a tattoo it heightens the risk of your being reactive to tints and dyes and I can vouch for that as I was fine pre-tattoo and very not fine post-tattoo!

I personally don't think it is worth the risk either to your business (how bad would that look!) or to the client's eyesight!

Lx

Last edited:
Also, I believe, that if you have a tattoo it heightens the risk of your being reactive to tints and dyes and I can vouch for that as I was fine pre-tattoo and very not fine post-tattoo!

I personally don't think it is worth the risk either to your business (how bad would that look!) or to the client's eyesight!

Lx
Very interesting. . . I have quite a few clients with tattoos and I will bear this in mind in future. Thanks for this post.

Latest posts

Back