To Facebook or not Facebook-that is the question!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cute-ickles

Reaction score
Hi All

I have started working for myself and am really wondering if I need an FB presence?

It may be an easy answer for some but for myself I'm not too sure, especially as I don't use it personally. Being a research queen I have read interesting points on both, including an article on Forbes against it.

Of course it depends on your target audience but I'm wondering if Twitter and LinkedIn are just as good??

I have seen salons on FB that start in good faith then haven't posted for over a year which to me is pointless, I don't want FB for FB sake.

What are your experiences, good and bad?

xx

Last edited:
Hi
I would also like to know about this.
I don't personally use Facebook either and was wondering the same?
Kelly

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I suppose you might say that I am somewhat of an experienced person with social media.

I will tell you that Twitter is borderline useless because unless the target audience are online at that moment, they will miss it.

Instagram is good if your customers have an account as they can see what your work is like and be reminded of you when you pop up.

Facebook is actually something that I opened this year despite me doing LL for over four years. In a nutshell... I should have done it sooner. If you post whenever you have a an offer on or a good photo of your work it's the subtle reminder that they need to book in. Unless you pay, not all of your likers will see it but it's DEFINITELY worth doing. There's no doubt about that. It's also good to post little funny things, for example when it's coming up to the weekend or jokey nail related things if you're a nail tech, it grabs their attention.

The main point is that you need to be persistent with social media. I'm talking at least every few days.

I do have building a client base ideas and advice on my website www.liverpoollashes.co.uk/ if you click the "advice" tab directly below the banner you'll see how I built my business x

Thanks LiverpoolLashes!!

I have been reading the articles on your website which are fab I might add so thanks for your response.

I do hear what you're saying re. Twitter though.
xx

Thanks LiverpoolLashes!!

I have been reading the articles on your website which are fab I might add so thanks for your response.

I do hear what you're saying re. Twitter though.
xx

No problems at all ☺️

Unfortunately Twitter is where I have the most followers as it's the one I started off with when I created my You Tube channel but if I did it all over again it would have been Facebook and then maybe Instagram x

I get lots of booking through Facebook . I use it daily to post new work on and get lots if recommendations through it x

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had a lot of referrals through facebook because of pictures of my work that I've posted. Facebook is no different from any other form of advertising in that for it to work you must do it consistently and frequently.

Everyone expects you to have a Facebook page these days, it's definitely worth doing.

Facebook is great for visual treatments (especially nails) so make sure you keep it regularly updated with some great nail art and polish work - these usually gets lots of likes and comments, which helps to spread it around to other people's newsfeeds on Facebook.

It's also great for letting everyone know about monthly special offers, or discounts, and keeping your existing clients up to date with new treatments, new products in stock etc.

Yes you have to Facebook.

I'm on there with a pseudonym as I don't want to interact with anyone, just manage my page which is fine.

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I find Facebook and Twitter invaluable. If I have a last minute cancellation I can post about it and fill it within minutes. I also advertise my newsletter, sneak peaks of new colours for shellac or the latest news on holistic treatments I offer. It's definitely worth it but make sure it's not offer offer offer - make it a information portal that people want to visit.

Thanks so much for your points of view, some brill points made by everyone.

I like to think of a business Facebook page as an extension of your website. One that you are able to update really quickly and easily.

If your website is the "professional", suit wearing side of your business, then Facebook should be the more casual, drinks after work side of your business. Its a little more informal, more "hey . . . this might be a little off topic, but thought you might like it". Your Facebook page should not be afraid to show some personality . . . after all it is more likely you and the stuff you put on your Facebook page that is going to make people "like" what you have to say.

Redduck is absolutely right that Facebook and Twitter are great places to put up any last minute availability or cancellations. Nothing makes people who follow you feel part of a community better than a last minute, sneaky offer or invite. Everyone should be doing this!

However, LiverpoolLashes advice is spot on about consistency. Nothing looks worse than a barren Facebook page. If you are going to create a Facebook page for your business, then make sure you commit the time to add to it on a regular basis. This doesn't have to be 10 times a day, but do make sure you put posts, pics or shared items up there as often as you can so that there is always something new for people to see and keep them checking back in with you!

I didn't realise that if you didn't pay not all your likers will see what you post.

I have been in business for nearly a year. I have only used Facebook, but plan to do a website soon. Facebook has been great for me, but also do things, like recommend a friend, both get 10% discount. That seems good. Loyalty card is also good.

Facebook is so worth it , for a year I didn't have a website just Facebook and it serves me really well I pre schedule 75% of my posts so I don't have to worry about it all day I just update with photos etc as and when I do treatments :)

Latest posts

Back