To Minx or not to Minx?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narney

Reaction score
Hi all you nail buffs out there!
Just wanted you honest opinion...
At present i do Shellac & love it, & love the look etc of Minx, however i have heard that it can leave the nails very dry & chalky... is this right?

I know with the Shellac & to be honest any nail polish that is applied & left on for ages can make the nail appear white, flacky & chalky but just wondering if the adhesive on the minx may cause a problem or is it just rumours...
Many thanks

Hi I don't do minx but I do bio sculpture gel and I had a client who came in with her minx still on, I said "oh I am not sure how to remove minx" to that she said "its ok they just peel off" and she peeled them off on front of me, the nail plate looked shockingly dry and White (I know this is not correct way of removing them)

After buffing her nails and prepping for gel they looked better but because of this I have to say it put me off minx somewhat!

X

Minx shuld be gently heated ( above body temp) to re activate the adhesive , and then sowly pealed from east to west / west to east direction if you do it top to bottom , north to south or vice versa the fibrous strands of the nail plate will be standing up as there ripped up with the Minx ,
This would be the white you saw , along with striped nail plate and probable surface dehydration.

You would probably see the same if I client pulled off there own Gel polish / l&p or gels ,

Like all things Minx is a fab and popular treatment if it's done properly ,

I would recommend you call sweet squared to talk about training or just to tell you the pros and cons ;)
0845 210 6060

Thanks for that information very helpful If I come across minx again! The client said they were put on with a hairdryer and cost £10...don't think she will be going back there!
I guess yes its the same result as if someone pulled gel etc off...x

No one that I have Minxed so far has had any issues with dryness. I suggest Solar Oil to all of my clients, so maybe that's helping them stay moisturised. I have only worn Minx once myself and I didn't experience any issues with the condition of my nails (I had them or for around 3 weeks).

I Minx and the nails will be dehydrated under the Minx the same as they are under l&p or gel as the nails are pep'd and dehydrator is applied before the Minx to ensure good adhesion the same as with l&p or gels.

If the client uses solar oil (I always tell them they must use it daily) the dryness will be very limited if there is any at all, if they dont use the solar oil then there is sometimes little white areas but this usually goes away after a lillte solar oil is applied and then the nail lightly buffed to a shine again.

I have been wearing Minx on my toes constantly since March and when I take a set off ready to put a new set on I check for any damage to my nails and in the beginning before I got solar oil, I had some small white areas on my big toes but there is none now as I use my solar oil daily. :)

If Minx is applied correctly, looked after during it's time on the nails and removed correctly I don't believe it leaves any damage at all.

Many thanks to you all, i get my clients to use solar oil with Shellac & just during normal manicures so will keep that in mind.

Love minx! And shellac! If nails look dehydrated after removal, give them a bit of tlc. Intense moisturisation, solar oil etc.

Love minx! And shellac! If nails look dehydrated after removal, give them a bit of tlc. Intense moisturisation, solar oil etc.

I would buff using solar oil and a koala .

I would buff using solar oil and a koala .

Haha I know what you mean Mizzy but just wondered for a second there...what might the genral public think of this comment?

..is that just my sense of humour ;)

Latest posts

Back