To what extent does product training make you a better therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I've got a feeling this will be a bit of a long post so sit comfortably.

I was going to ask "does product training make you a better therapist?" but I didn't ask this because I suppose it does in the sense that it's always good/enjoyable to learn more things as it will extend your knowledge of what's out there in the industry and it will extend what you are able to do in terms of the treatments you offer. So yeah, I guess product training is very useful and it can give you an advantage when applying to a job that uses a product range that you are already trained in.

So having established that product training is a helpful thing to have, I want to ask "to what EXTENT does product training make you a better therapist?". For example, I like reading back issues of Scratch Magazine and even from issues as recent as 2007, I see product ranges that no longer exist and it makes me think "wouldn't it be really bad to get all trained up in something only for it to be discontinued at a later date".

Also, NVQs (etc) exist in order to provide learners with the most foundational knowledge of treatments including the theory relating to how to use products safely in terms of anatomy, product content etc etc etc whereas to my knowledge, the theory on product training courses is going to be biased to an extent in that it might contradict what other product houses who offer similar treatments are saying. (I'm not being cynical about product training here....I'm just saying that there is a difference between what you learn in a qualification VS information that relates to marketing).

So why I am posting this?.....

OK so basically I am pleased to say that I have a job in a spa and I love it. There is scope to do product training but understandably, there are limits to how much you can get done at any speed due to funding/availability/employers discretion etc. As a 24 year old who wants to do well in my first (career relevant) job and as a therapist in general, I am thinking of doing the product training under my own steam where possible (that is to say that this is not an option with all of the products houses at work but certainly some of them). My long term goal is to be a beauty therapy tutor and I want to get as much experience and expertees as possible in this respect.

It's not cheap to do product training in my own time paying for it with my own money but it's something I'm thinking of doing. In this respect, what I'm asking you good people of salon geek is: with my situation in mind, do you think it's worth me putting in fo product training myself in order that I can expand the variety of treatments I am able to do at work? Do you think that my employer will be pleased with this (rather than offended)? Do you think it will improve my chances of being a beauty therapy tutor in the future? (So for example, I currently don't do manicures or pedicures at work as I'm not trained in the products they use but if I were to do he product training myself then I would be able to add more variety to my day and more skills to my cv).

Told yas this was gonna be one loooooong post but I would really appreciate some feedback on this because its going round in my head far too much right now grr lol!

I personally love doing product training with the different skincare brands. I think it teaches lots, not just about the actual products, but you always learn new things about skin/ treatments etc.

I have to admit, I've never done it off my own back, I've always done it through the salons I've worked for, so I'm not sure how you would go about it on your own.

Dermalogica and Guinot are the two brands I work with currently, and for both of them you have to have an account with them to go on the training, or work at a salon who has an account with them. Paying to go isn't an option for those. Unless you have any friends in salons who are willing to help you by arranging for you to go through their accounts?

What brands were you looking at?

Yes I definitely find it helps. Simply because I personally find it gives me some more enthusiasm when working with the products when you fully understand them. Know what the brand ethos is, how the products work etc.
I love product training and I always feel more positive afterwards!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Thanks guys :)

All of the skin care ranges they use at work are ones that I can't put myself on for training so I will only do training with them if I am put on it through work.

In terms of nails and learning more holistic therapies, putting myself on the training is an option.

So yeah, I guess I'm just trying to weigh up whether to do more training under my own initiative or wait to be put on it through work. Like I feel that I might be able to learn more things in a shorter space of time if I take some responsibility for my own development. What do yas reckon?

Ah, well if you mean more training as in furthering the skills you have, such as gel nails, different massage types etc., then yes, definitely go for it. It will only help you in the future to have more strings to your bow as they say!

Working for YSL part-time, I find the product training does not only teach about different products, we're also shown amazing application techniques, different use of the same product, correct application, and the best way to sell the product, e.g. unique features which you may or may not be aware of. I'd say I definitely recommend it. And I believe it will make you a better therapist because you constantly develop your knowledge and skills.

Cheers :)

See I definately want to keep learning and keep improving (I love how our industry allows us the scope to do that :) ).

I guess the key question is one of money now...like do I sit on the fence and wait for my employer to put me on the training or do I put myself on the training knowing that I'll get the satisfaction of feeling that I'm improving as a therapist NOW rather than later down the line when/if I'm put on the training.

Hmmmm.....

ETA: Also, if I put myself on some training courses, do yas think that increases the chance of getting more product training under my belt overall. Like if I've already trained in one thing, when the time does come for me to do product training through work surely there's more chance of being trained in something else?

Latest posts

Back