Toenails coming off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattyj

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a client today whose big toenails are literally coming off.

A month ago she showed me her big toenails and they were brown, she thought they were stained through not using a base coat when applying enamel but it was only the big toes and not all of the nail only half of it on both and in exactly the same place.

Anyway she comes today for waxing and showed me her toenails and they are literally coming off, im really stumped as to what it could be, they do not look bruised just a light brown colour, ive checked all my books and researched but dont know what it is! Any ideas??

Hi,

I had a client today whose big toenails are literally coming off.

A month ago she showed me her big toenails and they were brown, she thought they were stained through not using a base coat when applying enamel but it was only the big toes and not all of the nail only half of it on both and in exactly the same place.

Anyway she comes today for waxing and showed me her toenails and they are literally coming off, im really stumped as to what it could be, they do not look bruised just a light brown colour, ive checked all my books and researched but dont know what it is! Any ideas??

Maybe fungal nail infection? Sounds that way i wouldnt treat her untill shes seen a doc and got medical treatment to clear it

When I was in college I had a client who also had brown on their toe nails, I'd like to know the answer also to why this is, my tutor wasn't sure either x

Told her to see her doc, it just seems strange that the discolouring is half the toenail in exactly the same place on both nails.

Thank you x

Told her to see her doc, it just seems strange that the discolouring is half the toenail in exactly the same place on both nails.

Thank you x
Does she use self tan atall? tan can stain nails bad when a barrier inst applied , it wouldnt make them brittle tho. A firm buffing over the top of nail would lift tan and bring up the nail brilliant. If that doesnt work its deff somemthing underlying

No, no fake tan, its def under the nail, its all just lifting and peeling from almost at the bottom of the nail, told her to keep it short and put a plaster on it incase she catches it and it rips off - and to go to the docs x

the doctor will take a snip and they send it to the lab to see if it grows or not, when its toes even a bang can start all this, it causes an air pocket under the nail plate, which then collects dirt and keratin debris, this bacteria grows and invades the nail plate

yes deff tell her to go to docs it could be psoriasis of the nails with them peeling etc HTH

Thanks ABDiva, I have psoriasis and so does my mum & a few clients and we all get it under our nails but its white or yellowy, but it does lift the nail, never seen it brown before, maybe it could be though.

Tigan thank you too, I did think of bruising due to a knock but found it strange cos on both big toes in exactly the same place, maybe something to do with her shoes, I did ask her if her trainers fit properly when at the gym!

Ill send her a text and advice her the doc is the best person to see!

The fact that the discoloration is brown sounds like old blood to me. and the fact that its in the exact same place, sounds like it's being caused by her footwear.

The fact that the discoloration is brown sounds like old blood to me. and the fact that its in the exact same place, sounds like it's being caused by her footwear.

Yeah come to think of it when she first showed me her toenails a month ago and they were brown then she said she had had her enamel on for ages so she probably wouldnt have seen them when they first bruised and were darker, the only thing I could think of when i saw them looking exactly the same was footwear.

Yeah come to think of it when she first showed me her toenails a month ago and they were brown then she said she had had her enamel on for ages so she probably wouldnt have seen them when they first bruised and were darker, the only thing I could think of when i saw them looking exactly the same was footwear.

yeppos. she's wearing shoes too small for her sounds like. i've done it myself too actually. i bought some Lacoste tennis shoes, but the sales lady said they would stretch because they were leather. so i got a 9 instead of a 10. well, they were tight and i could feel my big toes hitting the ends of the shoes, but i wanted to wear them so bad. so i did, and they killed my feet. so then i had bruised toenails and shoes i couldnt return because they were worn. they were $200. havent worn them since.

yeppos. she's wearing shoes too small for her sounds like. i've done it myself too actually. i bought some Lacoste tennis shoes, but the sales lady said they would stretch because they were leather. so i got a 9 instead of a 10. well, they were tight and i could feel my big toes hitting the ends of the shoes, but i wanted to wear them so bad. so i did, and they killed my feet. so then i had bruised toenails and shoes i couldnt return because they were worn. they were $200. havent worn them since.

Oh dear, thats a shame, an expensive shame!!

yip, i know 2 people whos toenails came right off because of wearing trainers (too tight i guess) they do grow back though, just takes a few months
the surface goes all whiteish as they lift off the nail bed, then that bit falls of and the rest of the nail which looks fine carries on growing until its all back to normal

Latest posts

Back