Toner advice, I’m freaking out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie.mxo

Reaction score
Guys I am freaking out. I had my client come in today for her usual balayage and tone. She wanted the toner a little darker so we lifted to a level 9/10 as usual. I would normally tone with goldwell colorance 9na and 10v. This time we toned with 7na and 6b. Her hair has gone a really strange pinky mauve colour. No idea how to fix or what has gone wrong. Never happened before in 4 years and I'm really worried about how I'm going to fix this for her so close to Xmas. Please be kind, I'm of a nervous disposition!

Guys I am freaking out. I had my client come in today for her usual balayage and tone. She wanted the toner a little darker so we lifted to a level 9/10 as usual. I would normally tone with goldwell colorance 9na and 10v. This time we toned with 7na and 6b. Her hair has gone a really strange pinky mauve colour. No idea how to fix or what has gone wrong. Never happened before in 4 years and I'm really worried about how I'm going to fix this for her so close to Xmas. Please be kind, I'm of a nervous disposition!
Try a bleach and water cleanse first, this usually lifts out tone. If you need to lift depth as well as tone then add a low volume developer.
How porous is her hair?
6B is quite warm, I believe its gold. Generally when you mix ash and gold it becomes a beige tone so I suppose what you created was 7 and a half beige which over prelightened hair probably would go mauvey especially dropping from a 9 or 10. What tone were you going for?

Ah that makes sense.. God I've been so worried all night on how to make it right. She wanted a brunette balayage, a few level 7/6 tones running through as her natural root is a level 5. Because of the balayage placement I can't really do a bleach and water cleanse as it will be hard to apply. Do you think I could go over the pinky colour with a 7b? Using the pinky tone she's ended up with as the warmth for a pre pig without having to pre pig?

Ah that makes sense.. God I've been so worried all night on how to make it right. She wanted a brunette balayage, a few level 7/6 tones running through as her natural root is a level 5. Because of the balayage placement I can't really do a bleach and water cleanse as it will be hard to apply. Do you think I could go over the pinky colour with a 7b? Using the pinky tone she's ended up with as the warmth for a pre pig without having to pre pig?
I'd probably just go in with 7n now

I'd probably just go in with 7n now
Cleanse it first with deap cleansing shampoo and leave it on for 5mins this will help remove any excess tone.

I agree with ronray don’t add anymore beige just stick to natural to try and even it out after the cleanse x

B range in Goldwell is brown. So use an ash or natural.. Good luck

I realise that the OP has resolved this situation by now but just to add that with Goldwell, you should always pre-pig when going darker by two or more levels. It might help to refer to the Goldwell colour manual next time, if you’re unsure. You can download it for free from the internet.

B range in Goldwell is brown. So use an ash or natural.. Good luck
B is Brown/Beige depending on the level. It’s beige when used in the lighter colours.

I realise that the OP has resolved this situation by now but just to add that with Goldwell, you should always pre-pig when going darker by two or more levels. It might help to refer to the Goldwell colour manual next time, if you’re unsure. You can download it for free from the internet.

B is Brown/Beige depending on the level. It’s beige when used in the lighter colours.
Thats exactly why I said b for beige glad you mentioned this because it can get confusing but if you have a goldwell chart it’s easy to follow x

Latest posts

Back