Toners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamylocks

Reaction score
Can someone explain in detail what a toner is and when you use one? I was under the impression it was only used with very low percentage for a small amount of time to neutralise unwanted tones.

So you can use a toner on highlights even if it's a level 7, or 8? Also could this be a semi colour or permanent?

How would you know not to use a toner, and just use purple shampoo instead?

Appreciate some support please.

A toner is to neutralise unwanted warmth (usually gold), to add colur back in that bleach has taken out. It will add shine, help to close the cuticle and add a finishing touch to prelightened hair.

Rules are....
Make sure you have prelightned to the correct level. (Lightening to 9 and toning with a 10 won't work)
Correctly assess the level you have lifted too
If extreme amount of warmth need to be cover drop 1/2 to 1 level darker.
Add clear in for pourous hair (depending on brand)
Develop visually (depending on brand)

Purple shampoo neutralises yellow tones so is ideal for maintaince of icy cool blondes. It's only a temporary colour. Generally in salon we use Demi permanents to tone.

You can use a toner on any level, it is usually a quasi/demi permanent colour, but could also be a semi-permanent or permanent colour.

When using a permant colour on virgin hair it will simultaneously lighten the hair (lighten natural pigments) and deposit artificial pigments.

When you use a prelightener it will only lighten the natural pigments (or artificial dyes if previously coloured) and you are left with an undercoat/undertone, which tends to range from red, orange and yellow.

Using a toner will deposit the new colour into the hair, whether it is to neutralise the warm undertones or to change the colour (e.g. red, beige..) So you are colouring the hair in two steps, first lightening, then depositing. Hth

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back