Toning advice needed please? Pictures attached

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillips90

Roxanne
Reaction score
Hi im after some advice on toning hair please. Im familiar with Rusk ,Affinarge and have now move onto wella. Which I think is just brilliant so far so good, but haven't had much experience with there toners just yet.
So this is actually for my hair!!
I've been going to someone new and letting the work there magic however, I'm still very brassy..
Im aware it takes time and commitment on colour changing. I tell my clients this all the time.

However my hair is still brassy ,been using purple shampoo ect but just makes the orange brighter ,
so natural level 6
hair had previously had 7.8 + 6 with balancing lotion with is 1.9% (Rusk)
been having highlights for quite a while now to get back to ash tones and knock the warmth out completely!!
so its been half head foils with bleach 9% , 12.1 highlift and 6/1 6% all of which are Wella.
just thinking in the mean time before my appointment. I could do a toner myself.
just wondering what toners people would suggest on my hair??
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Phototastic-08_03_2017_911479f4-440e-4a03-8619-351310efb53a(1).jpg
    Phototastic-08_03_2017_911479f4-440e-4a03-8619-351310efb53a(1).jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 140
I'm not surprised your hair is brassy if you're using 12/1 and 6/1. The /1 is a grey ash and only intended to subdue tones. It won't neutralise anything. You need a violet toned tint.
Highlifts don't contain enough colour pigment to tone to ash if you're a warm 6. For this reason, I rarely use highlifts on hair lower than an 8. Especially as you have to use it with 12%. Much better to use bleach and 6%.
I'm also confused as to why you'd use a 6/1 if your hair is naturally a 6? Why not just leave some hair out?

Hi , thanks or help.
like I said I've had pervious colour before hand. Which is rusk, maybe not what your thinking as 8 is warm in this brand. Also Some hair is always left out but hair wasn't just a 6 to start with the 6/1 was just meant to break it up and put more of my natural back into it if makes sense.
I supposed its just getting use to the colour system as they are quite different. I've just trusted judgment. I wasn't keen on having the highlift however I thought it would give me more natural look. Whilst going though the process of colour change. Not sure If wella do it but rusk do something called tac which you can add to your high lift for abit of a boost!
So am I right in saying I needed to use /8 instead of /1?
Thanks

/6 is Violet and /8 is pearl (blue)

Personally, I wouldn't add anything into a highlift to boost it. I know from my old hairdressing tutor that bleach was added to some tints in the past but all that you're doing is destroying the toner in the highlift, so it might lift a bit more but will definitely be brassy looking.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the colour pigment in a highlift tint is enough to give it a hint of colour but it isn't strong enough to actually neutralise any strong yellow/orange tones.

Why not see if your local wholesaler is offering Wella colour courses?

I understand what you are saying about the highlifts completely. I've seen others adding bleach into highlift tints also and wouldn't recommend it. I have however used the Tac on occasions and it has always worked for me. I've downloaded and printed the wella handbook so ill go though again and refresh/ update my knowledge on this brand. Thankyou I will defiantly been booking a colour day course.
was just wondering what people thought on toning this down ect. I don't mind if I haven't got Ash hair completely hence why I decided to go with the highlift but the 6/1 hasn't done me any favours. If there any think I could use that you would recommend to tone this down?

Latest posts

Back