Toning bleached hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinkle2012

Reaction score
Hi, I’m just going to do a full head of bleach highlights on a natural base 5. I’m going to want to tone if after but nervous it might go green. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Why do you have a fear of it going green?

Because I used dia light 9.01 on a client and it started to go green rather than grey. I think it would be worse on bleach. Do you have any suggestions ?

Because I used dia light 9.01 on a client and it started to go green rather than grey. I think it would be worse on bleach. Do you have any suggestions ?
When toning the hair you have to keep the underlying pigment in mind as much as the desired result when picking your shade. It's hard to recommend a toner before you actually lighten the hair. As we all know colour can be such and unpredictable process. Some people on a base 5 will lift very well and no real need for toning or just a gloss. Some people on a 5 are a nightmare to lift past yellow - orange. So you would use different toners depending on how the hair lifted. If it's yellow you will need violet based. If it's orange you will need blue/pearl based.
If its yellow orange, you will need violet pearl.
I should imagine 9.01 is ash? So most bleach clients have yellow in the hair, adding green (Ash) to yellow makes yellow - green. Or if its blue, adding blue to yellow makes green. I hope this helps and is easy enough to understand

Thanks for reply. I suppose I’m looking for an ash toner that comes out grey rather than green if that’s possible? Because you can’t lift hair higher than a yellow undertone without compromising the condition

Thanks for reply. I suppose I’m looking for an ash toner that comes out grey rather than green if that’s possible? Because you can’t lift hair higher than a yellow undertone without compromising the condition
You would need a violet ash then, presuming you've lifted the hair to pale yellow, violet will neutralise yellow and then the Ash will leave you with an Ash finish. Usually I find to make a perfect grey I need blue and green tones, but you still need violet to neutralise the yellow or else you'll still get a green hue.

If you’re trying to create a grey, you need to lift to a 9/10, tone out the yellow using a violet toner, then go back and add your grey toner.

You would need a violet ash then, presuming you've lifted the hair to pale yellow, violet will neutralise yellow and then the Ash will leave you with an Ash finish. Usually I find to make a perfect grey I need blue and green tones, but you still need violet to neutralise the yellow or else you'll still get a green hue.
Also what you will probably need to do is neutralise the violet for the base that you've lightened to and then use your grey /silver colour on a darker base to add depth otherwise it'll probably only last a wash or two especially on a base 9. I use wella so I will tend to use 10/6 and 8/81

Thanks for the advice people. I used 10.12 dialight and it was absolutely beautiful. The picture doesn’t do it justice, it was a pale ash so thanks everyone
d448e52f5c5e6868fa0621ce7ab89332.jpg

So for the amount of pics! That was an accident [emoji23]

Thanks for the advice people. I used 10.12 dialight and it was absolutely beautiful. The picture doesn’t do it justice, it was a pale ash so thanks everyone
d448e52f5c5e6868fa0621ce7ab89332.jpg
Wow that looks fantastic! X

Latest posts

Back