Toning help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britolivia

Reaction score
hi, i am a level 2 qualified stylist although i had a 10 year break (children) and returned doing hair approx 18 months ago just doing extensions. recently i've had a lot of friends asking for colours. A lot has changed in 10 years and i need some advice please with the air touch balayage technique.( I did spend £250 on a balayage course last year and i basically felt like i learnt nothing) my question is my friend wants me to try the air touch technique on her , she wants to keep her own natural root. I plan to tone the bleach but would i need to use a toner on the root to get a blend? Hope this makes sense. Thanks

hi, i am a level 2 qualified stylist although i had a 10 year break (children) and returned doing hair approx 18 months ago just doing extensions. recently i've had a lot of friends asking for colours. A lot has changed in 10 years and i need some advice please with the air touch balayage technique.( I did spend £250 on a balayage course last year and i basically felt like i learnt nothing) my question is my friend wants me to try the air touch technique on her , she wants to keep her own natural root. I plan to tone the bleach but would i need to use a toner on the root to get a blend? Hope this makes sense. Thanks

If you’re painting the bleach to the root like a highlight then yes I’d do a root toner similar to or one shade lighter her natural (if she’s a base 6 id do 7 on her roots) just like 1/2 inch from the root but keep lighter around face then I’d blend it into your lighter ends toner.

If you’re just balayage painting it - leaving the root natural, then you won’t need to tone the roots as they won’t have been lightened.

Also make sure your colour range you’re using for toning doesn’t lift the natural colour , I use L’Oréal dialight as it has no power to lift natural it can only deposit tone on coloured hair

Latest posts

Back