TPTW - HMRC search internet for tax avoiders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am all for this, although I am not sure if they can cope with all the one's they have at the moment with staffing cuts.

I do wish they would do similar stuff with benefit fraud. There are so many people now on benefits who are not entitled to them because of working and not declaring. I have had several clients do the same and find it very hard to swallow having struggled as a single parent for many years, working to show my son that it is a better option. I would arrive home after a 12 hour day to see my neighbour, able bodied, sitting in the garden, fag in gob with a can of Stella waiting for the takeaway to be delivered. She didn't see why she should work.

If everyone, including politicians and bankers did things by the rules the country would not be in quite so much of a mess. :green:

Makes me cross, also when you turn up at a client with 5 kids all from different dads, to a filthy house on the day her benefits have been paid so she can spend it on nails, fags, alcohol and other frivolities whilst telling you how much she gets for cash in hand cleaning or other jobs. ( Sorry I don't mean to sound judgmental but I suppose I am :p )

I am often tempted to pick up the phone but what do you do, you cant really break that confidentiality as they are your client and you dont divulge personal info to others do you ?

That's a tough one tanfastic! What about dropping in that you pay taxes to pay for her benefits?? Bit of an abrupt thing to say outright but it's true-see what she thinks? May at least stop her mouthing off to you about it!
Or lose you a client...

Makes me cross, also when you turn up at a client with 5 kids all from different dads, to a filthy house on the day her benefits have been paid so she can spend it on nails, fags, alcohol and other frivolities whilst telling you how much she gets for cash in hand cleaning or other jobs. ( Sorry I don't mean to sound judgmental but I suppose I am :p )

I am often tempted to pick up the phone but what do you do, you cant really break that confidentiality as they are your client and you dont divulge personal info to others do you ?

Lol this is SO true!!
My other half tell me.... That's your taxes coming back to you there!!

i give all my book keeping to my accountant. i just feel its worth every penny and boy do i hate accounts!

don't want to scare you hun but make sure your accountant is doing what you pay him. when my husband had a business he used to take everything to his account on time and ensure all the paperwork etc was there. however this numpty of an accountant didnt file on time and my husband was landed with a hefty fine. luckily he knew another accountant who managed ot help sort it our for him. not sure why but just thought id share this! xxx

I agree to an extent but I don't think judging someone on their children's paternity is your place or mine or anyone else's.

Ditto! I am a qualified book-keeper and ex HMRC and I still have an accountant! She is worth every penny (and obviously I keep impeccably tidy records)! :lol:

I am a chartered accountant- now obviously retrained in the hair and beauty industry which was always my passion! I too have an accountant, and agree they are worth their weight in gold!

I am a chartered accountant- now obviously retrained in the hair and beauty industry which was always my passion! I too have an accountant, and agree they are worth their weight in gold!

I love that you ended up doing what you were passionate about.
Raspberries to anyone that says ladies in the beauty industry are not smart.

Im most definalty on the right side of the tax man. I had a vicious person suspect me, because im young and have my own salon. But im glad it was done, it took about a year, but its a huge relief afterwards knowing that everything is in its right place and that im filing appropriately!

To anyone out there that does get investigated, dont panic, its really simple and straightforward, give as much information as they ask, and you're fine! If you hold back they search more. They give you deadlines within say three months do this, 4 weeks can i have this etc as they know you're working alongside filing the tax returns on top. In the end it takes at least 8months.

At the end of the day they suspect hairdressers more, because they think we fiddle with tips, cash in hand/ favours etc. To be fair they will look at every buisness, but this crackdown is for the lone therapist not just mobile that doesnt divulge in what shes claiming outside her working hours. ie office worker by day, extensionist at night. xoxo

*blush*, thank you! I now love getting up each day, although my business background definetely helps! With regards to this thread......a tax investigation is nothing to be scared about, just make sure you keep accurate and up to date records- For instance, if someone asked me what my pre-tax profit was for say last week, I could answer instantly, simply because I make sure I do my accounts at least weekly (sometimes daily). Also, get yourself a good accountant/tax advisor!

You can report this anonymously via the DWP website.

I am all for the benefits system. If it is used for the purpose for which it was intended.

If you know a cheat and don't report them, you can't really complain as, in a round about way, you are allowing it to happen.

As a single parent and very hard worker, I have absolutely no symapthy for those abusing the system and wouldn't hesitate to report.

Just my opinion x

Latest posts

Back