Trade test?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloenicholex

Beauty therapist level 1 - Training for L2 & 3
Reaction score
So I’ve emailed a woman who has her own little salon and she needs someone to help her out as she has her own client base and members of the public come into her salon and she has to turn them away. So she’s invited me to have a chat and she wants me to do a trade test, which will be a gel nail application.

What is a trade test?!
I’ve heard it’s where I show them my skills and in this case, gel polish application.

Do I have to pretend she’s a customer? Do I have to do some acting? Help!!!

You'd basically do some nails on her or someone else. In the past I've been asked to paint a couple of fingers red, a couple French. On a separate occasion, I've been asked to do a full set of acrylic nails. It depends on what you say you can do. It's just them seeing what you can do. So yeah just do everything you would as if they are a paying client. x

Basically you show her what you know. From that she will determine if you know what you are doing. Some owners have this as part of their hiring process. I had a trade test once and failed miserably.

Thank you so much for your responses. I have a gel polish certificate from college but I was just given it. I was absent the day my course did gel application but still got the certificate and that’s what I have to do for this trade test... do I tell her I’ve not actually done it or just wing it?!

Is she definitely expecting a gel polish application not a set of hard gel extensions?

Her words exactly ‘be just a gel nail paint with my stuff’

Latest posts

Back