Trainee advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy1999

Reaction score
Hi guys i am 19 and currently training. I go to college one day and work in salon but im getting no training in salon and getting treated unfairly its putting me down and stressing me alot. Ive told my college about this and they said theyd find me a new salon to work in but now im anxious incase no salon would take me or i wouldnt get funded as im 19 :/ should i just stick into where i work and try get on with it

Can you describe instances where you’ve been treated badly? I don’t know whether you’d be better of sticking it out because it really depends on what you’re having to put up with.
Has anyone from the college spoken with the salon manager about the situation as I’d expect them to try to resolve any issues in the first place rather than try to move you mid-way through your training?

I get accused of things ive not done etc one time a client lost her earing and the stylist was saying i did it shouting at me infront of everyone but they found it was in lafies bag and didnt apoligie bak. Bosses son hit my arm and they always ignore me when im around them like im not there. Im entitled to work 9 till 5 but they keep till after 5 aswell. College hasnt spoke to them but i wouldnt want them to anyway because then theyd be really cheeky to me and say things.

If I was your college tutor responsible for liaison with the salon, I’d want to know how my students are being treated.
However, you certainly shouldn’t have to put up with being assaulted by the boss’s son and to accuse you of theft with absolutely no evidence is outrageous. Sounds like they see you as cheap labour rather than a young talent to nurture.

Write up a short cv detailing what you’ve covered in your training and where your interests lie and start visiting other salons and ask to make an appointment to speak to the manager. You can then explain that you’re already undertaking an apprenticeship but your current salon won’t co-operate with the college in supporting your training and rather than expect the college to solve the problem, you thought it might be better to look for another placement yourself. Hopefully, a decent salon manager will see your potential and be willing to give you a trial.

Be pro-active and pretend to be confident, even if you’re shaking like a leaf inside. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear you are in this situation Amy, i was like that when I was an apprentice it is really difficult. How far into your apprenticship are you? You should be able to switch to full time and government should fund it if you don't have any other qualifications.

However it would be best to find a new salon, then you will still have your small wage. Like haircuts said go in strong and confident, and say that you don't believe you are getting the training you need there. Tell them you've looked at their salons websites, Facebook and Instagram and like the work they are doing. Don't moan about how rubbish it is in the salon you are in because they will think you are the problem, it's a shame but it's just the way it is.

Good luck, and i promise not all salons are like that x

Sorry to hear you are in this situation Amy, i was like that when I was an apprentice it is really difficult. How far into your apprenticship are you? You should be able to switch to full time and government should fund it if you don't have any other qualifications.

However it would be best to find a new salon, then you will still have your small wage. Like haircuts said go in strong and confident, and say that you don't believe you are getting the training you need there. Tell them you've looked at their salons websites, Facebook and Instagram and like the work they are doing. Don't moan about how rubbish it is in the salon you are in because they will think you are the problem, it's a shame but it's just the way it is.

Good luck, and i promise not all salons are like that x
Thank you so much for this , its made me motivated and courage to move on.

Latest posts

Back