Training advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemansamsmum

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on training options. I'm a mum, having a career change into beauty. I have worked in the financial industry for past 10 years and hated it, had my children and now want to actually do something for me that I love.

I don't have any illusions at the moment about setting up on my own etc - to be honest after holding a position of responsibility for a while and doing work at home etc for a long time I like the idea of working for someone and possibly eventually renting a chair.

I have found a part time job at a spa as a therapist undertaking massage and facials and have been trained in house by them. It's a great job and they will continue to train me in seaweed wraps, bamboo massage etc but I really really love the more beauty side in particular eyebrows and makeup.

I want to do my NVQ 2 in order to get a good grounding and then possibly level 3, so I have the base knowledge, but I'm insure whether to wait until September and do it with my local college or do a fast track course now with The Beauty Academy at Milton Keynes?

I understand the college will prepare with clients over a long period of time but I then face challenges over childcare etc. if I do the fast track course I can do the practical days at convenient times and I am able to fit in the home study around my job and children. I just don't know which is the best route for getting into a good job to take? Does an employer ask where you did your NVQ? Would they prefer local college over a training academy? The costs implications are almost identical for either route for the course and materials but I would need a lot more money for childcare going to college!

I had the same problem with childcare etc and did my nvq 2 with the beauty academy. It was very convenient to do the courses when they suited me and to do the portfolio in my own time. I have a job in a salon and no one has asked me where I got my nvq from. I am as qualified and experienced as anyone else and have continued to gain further qualifications in other treatments.

Me too! Never been asked where I did my nails and I did it by fast track similarly did my beauty at college and noones ever asked where I did that either! NVQ is an NVQ! Do whatever is best for you as long as you get an NVQ at the end of it. Only reason I think college could be better is industry experience but you already have a job so you don't need to worry about that.
Teaching quality a often better in smaller private settings as well in my opinion!

The fast track does appeal as its able to be done now and is convenient I'm just concerned I won't be seen as having enough practical experience....

Latest posts

Back