Training advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenKnight

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of taking the CND beginners course in shellac as I have always been interested in training as a nail tech. I thought shellac would be a great place to start and then go on to acrylics. I work full time as a teaching assistant, so I will be available to do nails during term time after 4:30 and at weekends. Then out of term time I can do any hours, which is every 6 weeks.
I was just after a bit of advice from techs who have been in the industry for a few years. I am wanting to do nails from home but I am willing to go mobile if this suits the clients better.
I am in Warrington, North-west and was wondering what sort of pricing you think I could charge for at home, and then what pricing for mobile.
If anyone has been on the beginners course id love to hear what it was like.
Also lastly, how many colours would you begin with to start off?
Thankyou I appreciate any advice
x

I am a research associate and I used to be a teaching assistant so I know the scenario. I would plan around my TA contract but it really depends on your surrounding area. How many nail techs offer shellac and how many offer gel? How many NSA's are there and would you think this might negatively affect your business?

I did my initial training with EN and I now offer Gelish.

Prices: it's dependent on what you can offer and if people are willing to pay for it. Have a look around your area.

Volume: Client volume will always be weak when you start off, it takes years to establish oneself in the industry. I still haven't broken even on some of the training nor on the materials I have spent on. I often think it is the following three things... location, location, location.

Last edited:
Nail clients like to have very regular sessions, so they will want an appointment every two or three weeks generally. These are you best clients (rather than the 'once a year for their summer holiday' types).
Therefore I would suggest you decide on what hours you will offer each week for the WHOLE year. E.g. Tuesday to Friday 18.00 - 21.00.
This way you can book them in for the same day/time every 2 or 3 weeks. They are creatures of habit!
When it comes to taking your own holiday, plan well ahead to let your clients know. You will be extra busy the week before you go and also extra busy the week after you get back.

If you can work from home, then this will allow you to fit in more clients per session than if you have to spend time travelling between them, which means more money for you!

Price - charge the same as the salons. No need to be cheaper just because you work from home or are mobile. When you start up you can always offer a discount for a limited period only.

Latest posts

Back