Training new staff, paid or unpaid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyJen

Reaction score
When taking on new staff, do you pay them a normal days wage to come in for training? Also if you send them away on a training course before they start working in the salon would you pay them a days wage or just expenses? Thanks x

if the training is essential then I assume they would be classed as working and should be paid.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

If there work requires them to be trained then yes they should be paid usuall hourly rate for any training they have to attend or go to .

definately paid x

I agree that it should be paid, however my two salons I have not been paid if I have gone in for training on my days off only working days
I do think though to create a good start and if essential courses it would be right to pay.:) this of course is just my opion

i would pay them in full for there attendance but get them to agree to pay for the course in full from there final salary, if they leave your employment within 12 months. That way you know they re not just going to take the course and move on to another job with qualifications you have paid for

Thanks for all your advice x

I agree that it should be paid, however my two salons I have not been paid if I have gone in for training on my days off only working days
I do think though to create a good start and if essential courses it would be right to pay.:) this of course is just my opion

When I wasn't self employed I would do nothing without being paid. Staff meetings out of normal opening times, stock take, training etc I was the only person paid double hourly wage. It was that or let me go. Not to say I'm the best, but with the experience I'd had they needed me to train staff and add on sales tripled in 2 months from when I started. Apparently now I'm not there the sales have fallen again and the shop is in trouble weekly with head office for poor sales.

Pay your staff fairly or risk losing the good ones I say (the reason I left was they wouldn't pay me double on the weekends I had to cover the manager on her holidays, my contract was a supervisor so I felt it was only fair) xoxo

if the training is essential then I assume they would be classed as working and should be paid.

Legally this isn't the case.
It's quite a grey area however morally, I reckon absolutely pay them and do as Steve suggests put a clause in to deduct costs if they leave within 12 months.

I took over a salon that required staff to pay for their own training! They wondered why the staff were lacking in motivation....

surely if your insisting on the training, and its compulsary then this is work time.

work is subject to the national minimum wage and WTD

If your not paying, its not work and therfore attendance would be on a voluntary basis???

do you have a link to any reference that says compulsary training is unpaid? I would be interested to learn more?

that was not a dig by the way. I appreciate it is a grey area and am keen to see any documentation.

HMRC say the following on the website:

Trainees or workers on a period of probation
If you are training for a job or you are on probation then you are still entitled to the NMW. There are exemptions for some apprentices and workers on training courses.

so i guess if its training you pay them, if its part of a course ie. there working on a placement you dont. thats my way of reading this (and the website)

hope it helps

that was not a dig by the way. I appreciate it is a grey area and am keen to see any documentation.

No problem, a dig or otherwise is fine!

It's a legal issue not one for HMRC to determine.

We've discussed this subject & posted relevant links previously. I'm on my phone at the mo, so not going to search via that route but when I'm in front of the PC I will post the thread for you.

Hth

I agree with the general consensus that they should be paid the usual hourly rate, perhaps with a contractual clause that they pay for the training if they leave within 12 months.

It's not work, but the member of staff is giving up his/her time to do something which relates to the business and will benefit the business, therefore they should be paid. When you pay a member of staff it's not just the actual work you pay for, it's the employee's time.

Latest posts

Back