Training providers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oasis

Nail Mad
Reaction score
I keep seeing so many people both on here and Facebook who are paying huge sums of money to dodgy training providers only to find the "qualification" is useless and they can't get insured.
Can anything be done to stop this happening? Trying to get into this industry is hard work and expensive as it is without people throwing money away and putting in the time only to have their confidence shattered.
I know we talk a lot about educating our clients on the correct way to do things but what about newbies coming to the industry on how to choose the right courses.
Would also be interested to know if this has happened to any of you and I how you dealt with it. I've just advised someone else on Facebook to see the Citizens advice but it shouldn't have to happen.

The thing is all you can do is shop about for trustworthy training providers. I think people shop around on price and jump in when really they should check with insurers first and it should be a question you ask the provider.

I know it's not always that simple and cut and dry.

It shouldn't happen but unfortunately it does. It's an un-regulated industry and it's the way it goes. I don't even know if you do stand anywhere legally as I can't imagine it's compulsory to have your course accredited? or is it? Maybe Kim Lawless could let us know :) I know she is accredited with someone but not someone else if I remember correctly. Don't hate me if I'm wrong!

I'd love to know this too, I want to get trained up on a few things but a bit worried I end up going with a dodgy company.

The only thing I can really go by is reviews or word of mouth referrals.

Hi,
look for proper qualification certified by VTCT, NVQ IHBC or the guild of professional beauty therapists. If it's a proper certified course then you'll have no problems with your insurance. Lots of reasonable providers offer certified training, it's really the only way to go.:Grope:

Association of beauty therapists (ABT) is another good one to be accredited by

Just seen another one on Facebook, not given course notes and when she questioned them about notes she was told that if she needed information she should Google it!

Shocking. She's paid £300 to get qualified in mani & pedi.

Just seen another one on Facebook, not given course notes and when she questioned them about notes she was told that if she needed information she should Google it!

Shocking. She's paid £300 to get qualified in mani & pedi.

That is shocking!

I might expect it of a mani course that £50 ..but £300!!!

As in all things you need to do your research. I would always opt for a nationally recognized course ( NVQ or VTCT ) as they have to be externally accredited.
Insurcance providers aren't always helpful. One told me also long as went on an attendance course to learn a new skill I would be covered :rolleyes:

Maybe Kim Lawless could let us know :) I know she is accredited with someone but not someone else if I remember correctly. Don't hate me if I'm wrong!

I've lifted this off my own website as it explains my view.

How does course accreditation work?
The trainer, ie me, chooses which company they would like to have their courses accredited by. There are lots of insurance companies out there who accredit courses but I chose BABTAC for the reason quoted in the paragraph above and also because they give you, the therapist, the freedom to do train in various treatments with various companies as long as the course is accredited. They don't stipulate that every course or treatment that you do has to be only BABTAC accredited. Like me they believe in freedom of choice and they trust their fellow insurers to have the same high standards as them when accrediting a course. I had to send in all of my course work and they check everything with a fine tooth comb to make sure that it meets their high standards. This is quite time consumming and takes quite a while for them to study it all. Only once they are satisfied that you meet their high standards are your courses accredited. It cost me hundreds of pounds to have my courses accredited but worth every penny.

Can you have your courses accredited by more than one company?
Yes you can but I never quite see the point. It's a bit like getting the same car MOT'd by several garages. Having more than one company accredit your course doesn't mean that your course is any better than another course but it does mean that you have to pay hundreds of pounds to each and every company that you have them accredited with.

I'd just like to add that having a course accredited doesn't always mean that it's any better than a course that isn't accredited. Although a good company such as BABTAC and many others will scrutinise the coursework before they accredit it, they don't actually come and see the trainer run their course. Therefore, you could send in someone else's coursework and pass it off as your own and have your own course accredited.

My courses are exactly the same as before I had them accredited. Students prefer accredited courses so for me it was the way to go. HTH's. x

Hi,
look for proper qualification certified by VTCT, NVQ IHBC or the guild of professional beauty therapists. If it's a proper certified course then you'll have no problems with your insurance. Lots of reasonable providers offer certified training, it's really the only way to go.:Grope:

Its saying if its a proper certified and accredited courses by guild of professional beauty therapists.or BABTAC, ABT etc its all ok for insurance and start in the business or run your own business, work in a salon etc. Many of these accredited courses are one day, no pre requisites at all. Then on many other threads people are saying one day courses in waxing, lashes nails etc are no good, and they are not happy that people can do a one day course in whatever and they have been to college for months or spent thousands on longer courses.

Latest posts

Back