Training - to basic or not to basic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBJ

Reaction score
Say you did a beginners gel polish course instead of doing separate mani and gel polish courses would you still be able to attend training elsewhere that requires a mani certification??? Trying to get my head round all the different courses and qualifications and figure out which ones work well together (and get the most return on investment tbh). I've been looking at the courses on sweet squared as a probable option.

Tools

Start out with manicure. It makes it much easier to relate to what you're being taught when you learn gels/gel polish etc.

Probably not, gel polish certificates tend to relate purely to the application process and trouble shooting. A good manicure qualification will provide deeper detail on the natural nail and anatomy, etc.

My manicure qualification included luxury manicure and the gel polish qualification was separate although it covered prep.
I've been qualified for 2 years and haven't done a single manicure or pedicure.

This is my conundrum, if I do the mani I will have to save again for the next course and might be a while before I can do it and in the mean time no one will really want my services because there's o demand for it. Buuuut I would like the knowledge and the ability to take other courses with the certification. Or maybe I could do gel then mani then something else (acrylics?) so I have the knowledge but can offer a service in the mean time???

In that case I'd urge you to shop around for a course that gives you all of what you need.

For example, nvq 2 nail technology will cover mani, pedi and then gel or acrylic depending on the course unit the training place provides.

Seriously do the full nvq 2. It doesn't have to be a case of either or. Per unit, it often works out as better value for money than doing separate courses.

In that case I'd urge you to shop around for a course that gives you all of what you need.

For example, nvq 2 nail technology will cover mani, pedi and then gel or acrylic depending on the course unit the training place provides.

Seriously do the full nvq 2. It doesn't have to be a case of either or. Per unit, it often works out as better value for money than doing separate courses.

I work full time so I don't have the time/money to do a full time course.

My bad I meant evening/weekend course. I think there is a White Rose college near you. They are good. For something more fast track there is also the beauty academy. I haven't used them myself though.

If you want to get the skills to compete in what is a fairly saturated market already, it is important to source good training. It takes a while to become confident and speedy with nails so ideally it's best to do a course where you get to attend with a frequency that allows for tutor feedback.

My bad I meant evening/weekend course. I think there is a White Rose college near you. They are good. For something more fast track there is also the beauty academy. I haven't used them myself though.

If you want to get the skills to compete in what is a fairly saturated market already, it is important to source good training. It takes a while to become confident and speedy with nails so ideally it's best to do a course where you get to attend with a frequency that allows for tutor feedback.
I agree with this. There are so many people out there already doing nails, but decidedly less who actually do it very well.

And, as an aside, I've done almost as many pedicures this Christmas season as I have acrylic enhancements. Shellac manicures are always a winner though.

Why not save up and do the complete CND course with Sweet Squared?
I believe it takes you through mani, Shellac, and acrylic application..it's done over a period of time with practice in between, so perhaps if you look into it, you could book a couple of days at a time off work to attend?
Why not give them a call to see exactly what is covered and the length of time it takes...all the kit is included as well..bonus!!
;)

Latest posts

Back