Travelling with Shellac lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibi Lashes

Reaction score
Hi

I'm off to Goa for a couple of months and think Shellac Rockstar would be a great treatment to offer to help me pay for the trip. Also taking Minx and my Xaggerate which i think will be great. It was actually a Russian girl who did my lash extensions last year that started my whole new career!

But don't want to take my expensive Shellac lamp and know there are so many posts on here about not using the right lamp, but does anyone know of a cheap one I can buy that's small and won't matter if it gets broken or left with the local beautician I go to.

I need a reduced kit as I can't take it all.

Thank you

Sylvia

As you already know, only the CND or Brisa lamp will cure Shellac so I'm not sure I understand your question. :confused:

Well thats it, I don't know, I've never tried anything other than my CND lamp but I'm defo not taking that. I've looked at the spec on my lamp and others and as far as I can see they use exactly the same spec bulbs as the cheap ones and the same quantity. Probably don't have the timers but then I can use my phone timer.

I was asking this question to all those who don't use the CND lamp and whether they have problems and if they don't which brand lamp they use that works.

I think I'm going to by a cheap eBay one and try it out before packing it. If it works then I have a fab little business to pay for my rent. If it doesn't I've not lost much.

Apologies, just realised I've posted this in skin not nail forum by accident. Apologies

No problem, I moved to the nail section.

I assumed since you already have the CND lamp, you knew that was the only lamp to use with Shellac.

Only the CND lamp or Brisa lamp will properly cure Shellac. Personally, I don't know why any professional would chance using another 'cheap' lamp and compromise a professional service.

My opinion: if you are not going to use the proper lamp, don't offer Shellac.

Now, I'm sure you will get lots of replies saying that other lamps WILL cure Shellac, but I'm going with what CND recommends.

HTH and best of luck! :)

Do everyone a favour and buy a cheap system to go with your cheap lamp, and leave your Shellac at home. Not fair to the brand or the reputation of Shellac to be offering a substandard service with equipment that does not work with Shellac.

To be honest, I cannot be bothered to go over it all again for you when all the proof, the most sceptics of sceptics could want, is right here on this site and can be found by using the search facility.

Whatever you may think, you obviously do not know the intricacies of bulbs, placement or distances or product formulation to be spouting about specs being the same ... Correct cure is a regulation of all the things I listed and not just bulbs. If you are interested in doing things right, you will take your CND Lamp ... If you are not, then go without Shellac and use something else please.

Hi, If you are going to spend money on another lamp and possibily buy other products to use with your new lamp - wouldn't it be better to spend the money on a good insurance that way you are covered should anything happen to your CND lamp.. Just a thought..

I agree for the price of a new lamp you can get travel insurance to cover your CND lamp, and then you know you wont be risking your service. You would spend the same amount buying a lamp that wont work!! Lucky you going to Goa!!:biggrin:

Do everyone a favour and buy a cheap system to go with your cheap lamp, and leave your Shellac at home. Not fair to the brand or the reputation of Shellac to be offering a substandard service with equipment that does not work with Shellac.

To be honest, I cannot be bothered to go over it all again for you when all the proof, the most sceptics of sceptics could want, is right here on this site and can be found by using the search facility.

Whatever you may think, you obviously do not know the intricacies of bulbs, placement or distances or product formulation to be spouting about specs being the same ... Correct cure is a regulation of all the things I listed and not just bulbs. If you are interested in doing things right, you will take your CND Lamp ... If you are not, then go without Shellac and use something else please.

Slightly rude of you to take that tone with Sylvia, she was asking advice thats all.

Slightly rude of you to take that tone with Sylvia, she was asking advice thats all.
But she's not really interested in taking the advice.

The ONLY correct advice is that you NEED the CND Lamp, she's point blank said she won't be taking it so what exactly is she wanting to know?

I've used a non-CND lamp when I first used Shellac and there was a difference between the finished results, proof that these professionals KNOW what they're talking about!

But she's not really interested in taking the advice.

The ONLY correct advice is that you NEED the CND Lamp, she's point blank said she won't be taking it so what exactly is she wanting to know?

I've used a non-CND lamp when I first used Shellac and there was a difference between the finished results, proof that these professionals KNOW what they're talking about!

I know and understand that she is a professional, BUT we only ask for advice etc on this site, the tone straight away was uncalled for. Surely you wouldnt expect to come on here asking opinions and expect that back.

I wouldnt.

Geeg wasn't being rude, at all. There is a difference between rude and matter of fact. :)

Your conversation should be off the forum in the form of private messages, girls, as per the site RULES.

It is more than slightly exasperating when someone totally disregards and disrespects the advice of others And not just any old others but the industry's top experts ... That is not professional behaviour.

The OP was not asking for advice ... She was asking for validation from other "Messers" so that she feels better about messing about with the system herself. IMO

Last edited:
Hi Geeg. Change of subject here but I'm using geek app so can't find how to post a new thread. I brought a acrylic nail kit off the Internet. Rio is the make. (Just to practice while I finish my training) the lamp is just a small one and is 9vv. I practiced on myself with a set but the acrylic didn't set fully. I left them under for the time stated. Could you try give me some advice on where I'm going wrong? :) x

Hi Geeg. Change of subject here but I'm using geek app so can't find how to post a new thread. I brought a acrylic nail kit off the Internet. Rio is the make. (Just to practice while I finish my training) the lamp is just a small one and is 9vv. I practiced on myself with a set but the acrylic didn't set fully. I left them under for the time stated. Could you try give me some advice on where I'm going wrong? :) x
Acrylic doesn't set under a lamp, gel does. Stick with your training, I wouldn't recommend the home products as reviews of them aren't at all good :)

Goodness me, I wonder why I bother with this site sometimes.

I was just asking advice from those who don't use the CND lamp of which there are many.

Of course i have my (ex pat) holiday insurance but it's India were talking about, I wouldn't even pack a decent pair of shoes or dress, never mind my CND lamp which would be living in my beach hut for two months!!!!

I wasn't going to offer a range of shellac, just various colours of glittery nails using just the correct base, a single colour and top coat so minimum loss if lost or corrupted by the heat.

If my cheap lamp, that I've not even bought yet, doesn't set it, then I'll not be taking it, I'll only have lost 20 quid.

This won't alter any of my services at home which are all done using the correct products and lamps.

If you've ever been to small villages in goa you will know that their beauty salons are incredibly basic and without any frills. What foreign people want, who may stay there for months at a time, is something a bit different. There was a Russian girl offering lash extensions and I hope to offer my semi perm mascara and glittery nails to which I am sure will be a welcome service.

I'll let you know in January how I get on.

Is it a gel you are using with the lamp, or a liquid and a powder? Was it sold to you as a system? Rio kits can be bought from Argos. But I need to know what was in the kit.

I got mine off Amazon. It was sold as a system with all I needed and a DVD. It's a gel that came with it. I had to buy different tips as they weren't White but more a clear (I tend to use the clear for nail varnish)

I got mine off Amazon. It was sold as a system with all I needed and a DVD. It's a gel that came with it. I had to buy different tips as they weren't White but more a clear (I tend to use the clear for nail varnish)

Well it sounds a pretty clear case of the lamp not curing the gel. If it is sold as a system, then it should be curing the gel but who knows with these home kits that are sold to consumers. They are usually very low end products and uncured gel causes allergic reactions so be careful.

A 9w lamp is not a professional type lamp. What you could do is try doubling or trebling the amount of time that you cure the product. The longer you cure the nails the more chance that it will eventually do the job. The product will probably yellow but see how you go.

I would stick to professional products in future. No sense in practising with something that is nothing like 'the real thing' if you see what I mean. It will teach you nothing apart from an expensive lesson in what not to do in the future.

Thank you for your advise. Yeah I know but it was a good price so thought I'd try it out. Think I'll be adding a lamp to my Xmas list . :) x

Latest posts

Back