Trial days in salons - paid or unpaid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the reason you don't know any is probably because there aren't any. A good therapist would know their own worth and not be exploited. It should be illegal.

I'm sorry Craig, you are so in the minority. How long exactly did you say you've been in the beauty business and what are your beauty qualifications? I don't think you'd know a good therapist if you fell over one.

There's no need to personally attack the guy because you disagree with the way he runs his business.

I've enjoyed this thread because it's been a good debate - let's not get sucked in to attacking the poster instead of the post?? Please.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Unfortunately though I have experienced first hand the moochers on the trial day. By 11AM we send them home relieved to be rid of them. Most people work out just fine though.

I can probably throw a cat amongst the pigeons here by mentioning that the best trials we've experienced have been the 8 week unpaid trials for the unemployed. I found 2 amazing members of staff through that when they approached me to see if I could offer them placements.

Makes half a day sound quite reasonable? :D

So they worked for you for free for 8 weeks?

If they were good and you wanted to employ them as a paid member of staff, why wait 8 weeks?

Trial days should be paid.

Some of the arguments presented not to do this have suggested that it is a way of measuring someone's motivation (they're motivated by an opportunity for a trial and not the payment - really?!) and also that it is a way to evaluate what that person can bring to the role.
A work trial is an evaluation of someone's ability to perform the duties of the job. Upon completion of the trial the employer then decides whether they want to hire or fire, but it does not change the fact that certainly from a moral perspective people should be paid. They may have done an excellent job but maybe dont have the right personality traits - so you're penalising them because although they can do the job, but their personality doesn't fit in?

To me, stating that a full days work day trial is necessary is exploitation and indicates two things,
1. an employer who doesn't have a robust recruitment process and isn't confident in their ability to select staff via interview and trade test
2. an employer who does not value or acknowledge the time or skills of an individual, and reward them accordingly.

Personally I think that any employer who operates in this way will have a reputation amongst potential employees and so runs the risk of losing the opportunity of recruiting some excellent staff, simply because they are known not to pay for work trials. It simply sets out an impression of whether you value or reward your staff.

Certainly from the replies that have been posted it indicates that some people would not even attend an unpaid work trial (I wouldn't) which demonstrates that you'd lose the opportunity to have your pick of the candidates and surely as a salon owner you'd want to have the biggest 'pool' to select from?

Last edited:

If they were good and you wanted to employ them as a paid member of staff, why wait 8 weeks?

Unpaid work trials are organised via Jobcentre Plus and are an opportunity for people who are long term unemployed who, for whatever reason haven't found work. They still receive all their benefits during this time and support from a personal advisor so 'technically' it's not for free.

As for waiting 8 weeks, I'll let the OP answer that!

I have done unpaid trial days, I have no problem with them x

Unpaid work trials are organised via Jobcentre Plus and are an opportunity for people who are long term unemployed who, for whatever reason haven't found work. They still receive all their benefits during this time and support from a personal advisor so 'technically' it's not for free.

Hi Laurakate,

I didn't want to employ either of them as a paid member of staff. The idea behind the scheme was to give them some salon experience for their CV.

By the end of the 8 weeks though I was so impressed with them (each time) that I created new full time paid jobs within the salons and took them on. There were no actual jobs when they came for their trials, but I was so impressed with their work ethic that rather than see them go back on the dole I created 2 new positions within my company.

Hope that clears things up.

:)

Hi Laurakate,

I didn't want to employ either of them as a paid member of staff. The idea behind the scheme was to give them some salon experience for their CV.

By the end of the 8 weeks though I was so impressed with them (each time) that I created new full time paid jobs within the salons and took them on. There were no actual jobs when they came for their trials, but I was so impressed with their work ethic that rather than see them go back on the dole I created 2 new positions within my company.

Hope that clears things up.

:)

Ah gotcha :)

I did work experience and I believe it really helped me to find employment after this.

Overall I really appreciate this thread. I'm glad i'm not alone in not being happy to do what is known as a "trial day". In the future, I will feel a lot better about telling anybody interviewing me that I don't do trial days. I will take a lot of strength from that having been exploited in this way before. Never again!

OK - but slightly different scenario though. They are still getting paid albeit by the taxpayer.

Yes but does not mean they should be exploited, im not proud of being unemployed but i am going to college and im doing a work placement for free for experiance but that is totally diffrent to doing a work trial, i am doing this voluntry i chose the salon and asked them im not expecting a job i have not been led there on false pretences

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yes but they are not voluntry they are forced to go did you not see on the news where they were made to sleep outside in the rain and the fact is they can not just walk because there benefits would be stoped so they can still be very easily exploited

Hey geekies interesting thread. Im neither an employee nor employer but playing devils advocate.....

Would anyones opinions change on unpaid trials, if there werent the few unscrupulous employers who unfortunately used 'trial' days as cover?

Personally im not sure where i sit on this one. I understand both points to a degree. I think having unpaid trial days can lead to the problems sadly some have experienced, so to protect therapists in future and to stop this problem i do believe trial days should be paid.

On the other hand as an employee looking to be employed i have to say id quite relish the opportunity to show a prospective employer what i can do and wouldnt if im honest bat an eyelid if i wasnt paid.

Ive found this thread really interesting so thanks for posting.

Love n hugs x x x

It's really good to see that most of us are of the opinion that trial days should be paid or even better if they didn't exist.

Yes but they are not voluntry they are forced to go did you not see on the news where they were made to sleep outside in the rain and the fact is they can not just walk because there benefits would be stoped so they can still be very easily exploited

Just to be clear, I wasn't giving an opinion on these, I simply explained what it was and that it is an initiative to get LTU back in to work and 'work ready'.

The scheme is mandatory but people can also volunteer to attend them. AsI understand it, those people who are on the mandatory courses can have their benefits stopped / reduced if they fail to attend for legitimate reasons.

I think for some people - perhaps those that don't do great interviews or maybe have been out of work for a long time and lost their confidence, then it can be helpful in building their confidence or allowing them to demonstrate/develop their skills. However I don't think that people should be out of pocket for attending them and so expenses should be covered e.g. travel pass provided.

Equally, it shouldn't be used by employers as an opportunity to get free labour. They need to commit to developing the individuals and treat them equally in the same way as the paid staff.

Overall I really appreciate this thread. I'm glad i'm not alone in not being happy to do what is known as a "trial day". In the future, I will feel a lot better about telling anybody interviewing me that I don't do trial days. I will take a lot of strength from that having been exploited in this way before. Never again!

It's the "unpaid" trial day I have the problem with. Trial days are fine, as long as the prospective employee is paid for their time.

But I'm seriously of thinking of pulling a "Craig". I'm going to get 30 cleaners and 30 babysitters to have trial days. Should be set up for the year. Won't cost me a penny! :D

....and I bet there are salon owners who do this, although I think and hope they are the exception.

Latest posts

Back