Trial days in salons - paid or unpaid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea27

Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to hear everyone's opinions, both salon owners and employees, whether trial days should be paid or not. It seems to be a big issue at the moment.
In my opinion they should be paid. I have been used far too many times to do a free trial day or more when looking for a job. I am very happy to do a trade test -anything let's say up to 2-3hours on a member of staff. That should be enough for them to see my skills and interaction with the "client".
Few times I was put into a situation when after the interview I was asked to come back and spend the whole day working on paying public for free and they considered this as a "trial day".
What does everyone think ? Should trial days be paid or unpaid?

If its paying clients then some sort of payment should be made as the salon is making profit out of it. However trade tests on another employee or non-paying clients its fair enough not to pay x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I thought it would be nice to hear everyone's opinions, both salon owners and employees, whether trial days should be paid or not. It seems to be a big issue at the moment.
In my opinion they should be paid. I have been used far too many times to do a free trial day or more when looking for a job. I am very happy to do a trade test -anything let's say up to 2-3hours on a member of staff. That should be enough for them to see my skills and interaction with the "client".
Few times I was put into a situation when after the interview I was asked to come back and spend the whole day working on paying public for free and they considered this as a "trial day".
What does everyone think ? Should trial days be paid or unpaid?

Yea i agree if on paying public or expecting to help run salon cleaning etc it should be paid a few months ago went for a interview they asked me back for a trial day saying i had the job and the trial was just to see where i needed to improve as it was for an apprenticeship placement being paid did not enter my head, but once i got there they did not even hardley speak to me or show me around just exoected me to go in and colour hair cut hair and wash on paying clients and clean the salon, i explained that i was not fully qualified and yes ive had experiance but i dont feel confident enough yet and i started at 8am finished at 6, as the day went on i found out that someone had been sacked on the day they had decided to call me in and then it kind of all fitted in place and then even though they had said i had the apprenticeship job they then said at the end of the day you will get a phonecall if you have been succesful, i was very confuessed couldnt understand as it was for an apprentice level 2 anyway so should not matter if i can or cant do stuff there supposed to want to train you, but im glad i went because i found i loved the salon experiance even though they made it hell but i do know that after i had reflected on it it looks like they did just use me and i never got a phonecall,
I would never do this again i frlt used and totally ruined my confidence for a while,
Sorry for the essay lol but thought id give you my experiance, and just think a day trial working and not being paid does not show how great they are going to be as an employer at all and if you were to do a trade test yes i get that because you see there skill, and to be honest why should we being doing this free trial day thing and hair and beauty as it just gives a bad impression, hardley any other career or job will ask for a free trial work day :) x

I agree - anything other than a trade test (couple of treatments on staff to show skills) should be paid to some extent... The moment the salon makes a profit from the interviewee then they should be compensated. If they are not good enough to get the job then they are not good enough to stay the day so the losses to the salon are minimal...

paid for a trial day, unpaid for trade test.

i got 15 for my trial day at my job to cover my lunch and travel. didn't expect a full days wage so something around this is okay i think xxx

Following on from a previous thread. I don't see why trial days should be paid. As I had explained in that thread, I as an owner wouldn't ask my staff to do anything I wouldn't do, and yes I have been to unpaid trial days in the hope of securing a position with a company/employer.

If a company/employer asked you to go along to an interview, would you asked to be paid for your time?.........

Craig

Yes I think if it's for a day, then they should be paid, especially if the salon owner is making money out of the day! If it's just a trade test on staff etc, then no money should be paid :)

You could make quite a profit from getting people in to do trade days and not paying them! ;)

Following on from a previous thread. I don't see why trial days should be paid. As I had explained in that thread, I as an owner wouldn't ask my staff to do anything I wouldn't do, and yes I have been to unpaid trial days in the hope of securing a position with a company/employer.

If a company/employer asked you to go along to an interview, would you asked to be paid for your time?.........

Craig

Interview no - because the employer makes no money from anyone going for an interview - likewise trade tests or in IT technical tests etc.
The moment they start treating the public I would firstly wonder if insurance would actually cover them... and I think it's fair to pay them at that point. Any technical test you need from someone can be done on staff or yourself as a trade test - we all accept they are unpaid I think... :)

If you go along to an interview then you don't work, you dont earn the potential employer money, you don't earn the business money you are merely going there to put yourself across and perhaps carry out entry exams needed.

A trials day in the beauty or hair industry is not the same as normal job interview. I have never been paid for an interview nor a trades test and I wouldn't expect to be. But why should anyone work a day on paying clients, benefitting the business but not get paid?

I am totally against this and wouldn't do it or expect it from a potential employee. As I said in a previous thread we interview, they do a trades test, we look at their Cv and certificates and then after we are satisfied they are taken on for a trail period.

If people are happy to work somewhere for a day without pay, which would generally amount to say £80 without commission and the potential employer earns say £200 approx for himself but then doesn't pay this person for doing the trial day anything how is this right? If they are happy to do it then that's up to the employee. But I wouldn't nor do I know anyone who would, not saying some dont as has already been said.

Also I would assume if someone had a trial day in say a car sales room and sold a Bentleyor similar then he would be paid a substantial commission for doing so. Even if he had been told he wasn't being paid for that trial day, there is no way anyone would expect a sale then not pay the person on the trial day a penny, or am I missing something? I know I wouldn't and couldn't so this to someone. I would feel like I had exploited that person.

Everyone's out to make money in business regardless of what they say, otherwise what's the point. None of us work for fun,even though some of us love our work, so why would I want to work a whole day giving my expertise and not get paid?

Last edited:

Craig

I obviously do not expect do be paid for an interview or the trade test. Trial days -yes because I will probably be working on the public therefore earning the salon some money or I will be doing some cleaning - and why should I do that for free?

I obviously can't speak for other owners, however to me the very idea that the business gains from a trialist by making a profit from him/her is ridiculous.

I'm of the opinion that if your in business and concentrate on making a profit then your doing it wrong! You should be in business to offer the very best service you possibly can leaving your customers as happy as they possibly can be each time they visit. ANYONE can make money, not everyone can do the latter..... Conecentrate on a making your service it can be and the profits will follow, trust me!

Thats why I'm for unpaid trial days, if someone can come in and work for nothing in order to achieve something then they have the mindset which I'm looking for. Not because I want people who will work 24/7 and I can exploit them but because people of this mindset understand the value of their goal (a job in this instance) and will do absolutely anything to achieve it, even if it mean investing their own time just to get there. Just like I did when I first opened my Salon. I worked 12-16 hour days for absolutely nothing just to get the place up and running and I've still not taken a single penny of profit from it.

Some of the worlds most successful people work for absolutely nothing and know the value of their goal, whatever it maybe.

I know this probably doesn't make sense to anyone, for a more in depth insight to what I'm talking about I recommend buying a book called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki....

Thanks again!

Craig

I obviously can't speak for other owners, however to me the very idea that the business gains from a trialist by making a profit from him/her is ridiculous.

I'm of the opinion that if your in business and concentrate on making a profit then your doing it wrong! You should be in business to offer the very best service you possibly can leaving your customers as happy as they possibly can be each time they visit. ANYONE can make money, not everyone can do the latter..... Conecentrate on a making your service it can be and the profits will follow, trust me!

Thats why I'm for unpaid trial days, if someone can come in and work for nothing in order to achieve something then they have the mindset which I'm looking for. Not because I want people who will work 24/7 and I can exploit them but because people of this mindset understand the value of their goal (a job in this instance) and will do absolutely anything to achieve it, even if it mean investing their own time just to get there. Just like I did when I first opened my Salon. I worked 12-16 hour days for absolutely nothing just to get the place up and running and I've still not taken a single penny of profit from it.

Some of the worlds most successful people work for absolutely nothing and know the value of their goal, whatever it maybe.

I know this probably doesn't make sense to anyone, for a more in depth insight to what I'm talking about I recommend buying a book called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki....

Thanks again!

Craig

I'm with you on this one Craig. I personally would not bring somebody in for a trial day, but if (in my younger days) I had a good feeling about a salon and really wanted to work with them I would happily give up a day of work to show them how good I am! I would expect to have expenses paid (lunch and travel) but that's it.

Trial days should be paid. If the salon manager and prospective employee are both happy with an unpaid trial day that's their business, but personally I think its wrong. I simply cannot stand the attitude of some people in business of "show me how much you want to work for me by jumping through hoops". Of course we all have to "jump through hoops" to a certain extent, thats how we show our skills at interview, but this ethos of "if you want it enough you'll perform unpaid work" is unpleasant. People who own their own businesses work for nothing because its their business, and when that business takes off they will be reaping the rewards, whereas your typical salon assistant who you want to work a day for free is on a low income, has had to pay travel costs to get there, perhaps even childcare costs (I'm sure the childminder would scoff if you asked for a free days babysitting cos its a trial day), and is generally not very well off, so the idea that not only should they be out of pocket to prove how eager they are to work for you, but you've made a profit out of them aswell is not a nice one in my opinion.

Thanks again!

Craig

There are some industries where unpaid internships are rife, particularly popular ones like fashion and tv, however, to expect the same in an industry where employees are unlikely to earn more than minimum wage is disrespectful IMO.

To exploit new therapists keeness (or desperation) to get work by expecting them to work unpaid on paying customers is unacceptable IMO, in any industry, but especially in a low paid one.

I do trade tests and would not pay for these. For me this is part of the interview process. However, working on paying clients is not a trade test. I don't a 'trial' is part of the interview process- a trade test yes, but a 'trail' would be untaken by the successful candidate. I don't work in a salon environment but as a client I would be horrified if I found out that my treatments were being carried out as part of an interview process.

I do trade tests on potential employees, and although I don't do trial periods because my practitioners are self employed (and I am confident that the interview process has given me a good therapist) if I were to, then I would feel uncomfortable about taking payment for treatments that I was not paying the therapist for.

If you work your ass off for nothing getting your business ready for open day then that's normal. I worked solidly day in day out getting my business ready, when I wasn't decorating I was buying,when I wasn't buying I was scouring the net for products, when I wasn't doing that I was creati g my web page,price lists and gift vouchers. The list goes on and on.

I didn't get paid because it was my business,who would pay me? I was the one working hard for me and only me and it's me and other owners who reap the rewards.

It isn't ridiculous that a business makes money from a therapist working on a paying client during a trial day. If that client is paying the salon for a treatment or treatments and the therapist isn't being paid where does that money go? Straight into the owners pocket,that's where, you wouldn't even be paying tax on it because the therapist won't be on the books.

If you have an experienced,damned good therapist who is doing a trial day she or he WILL be making you money. Just because she comes to you for a trial day doesn't mean she's rubbish and won't be making you any money. She could've been in the industy and worked for the best for years.

As for being in the business to make a profit of course we all want to and I along with many others can and do make a profit along with providing an excellent service. One doesn't have to compromise by not making a profit in order to give a better service.

As for you thinking that if someone concentrates on making a profit in business, that they are doing it wrong,I have to totally disagree. Good luck to your business Craig.

Last edited:

Craig

I dont see how you can compare a interview with a full working trial day two completly diffrent things

Thanks again!

Craig

But thats the point some people are desperate to have a job and will do this and unfortunatly people will take advantage of this and simply bring people in for a trial day for there benefit as it is free, and so this is why it should paid

I have never had an employee and i have not had a trial day, so can't speak from experience.

However, i agree with previous posters that a trade test should not be paid. It should be fairly short on members of staff and i wouldn't even object to a file and polish on a client to view client skills, but nothing more.

A full day or even half day trial day is something completely different and it should be paid. Even if it is agreed beforehand that they are going to pay you a set amount, not per hour for this one off time.

If i were looking for an employee, i would do a trade test and then if i liked their work, have them working at a paid post, but under a trial period of up to three months. It makes much more sense than a trial day as you can see how someone is day in day out and their punctuality, etc xx

Latest posts

Back