Trichotillomania

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucelasticx

Reaction score
I turned up at a friends house to find her with a knotted dreadlock in the front of her hair ( One length bob). Asked her did she want me to try and untangle it so i did.
Turns out she has been twiddling and knotting ( mainly due to stress) and i noticed that all her front fringe area was only 1" to 2" long where she has been breaking it off. Havent noticed before as she wears alice bands alot!!!
I have come across Trichotillomania before but it was a woman ( hairdresser) i worked with when i was training, she also used to self harm. I am now concerned about my friend as i asked her whether she pulls her eyelashes or eyebrows and she said yes.
I feel terrible even though I am not her hairdresser as she is a bit of a hippy chick and never gets it done but really should i have noticed!!
What can i do to help her, i know i should tell her to go to the doctors but i doubt she would.
Has anyone else had any experience with this , and any advice.:Scared:

Its such a difficult thing isn't it trying to help someone who self-harms in any way, I expect the only way to cure the hair twisting is to address the root cause and that would involve therapy of some kind. My friend had an eating disorder and I have been careful not to mention the obvious unless she brings it up and to just try and be a supportive friend, she had cognitive behaviour therapy and she has it 'under control' ever since but I know its hard for her.

I turned up at a friends house to find her with a knotted dreadlock in the front of her hair ( One length bob). Asked her did she want me to try and untangle it so i did.
Turns out she has been twiddling and knotting ( mainly due to stress) and i noticed that all her front fringe area was only 1" to 2" long where she has been breaking it off. Havent noticed before as she wears alice bands alot!!!
I have come across Trichotillomania before but it was a woman ( hairdresser) i worked with when i was training, she also used to self harm. I am now concerned about my friend as i asked her whether she pulls her eyelashes or eyebrows and she said yes.
I feel terrible even though I am not her hairdresser as she is a bit of a hippy chick and never gets it done but really should i have noticed!!
What can i do to help her, i know i should tell her to go to the doctors but i doubt she would.
Has anyone else had any experience with this , and any advice.:Scared:

Do you know how long she has been doing this for ?

It would be better if you could try and get her to see a doctor. Trichotillomania tends to be brought by things like stress, depression, anxiety, OCD etc so it's very possible your friend has some underlying problem or issue which she needs to try and address. My cousin sufferred with quite badly and the family had no idea it was going on so dont be hard on yourself by not noticing sooner as suffers are quite good at covering it up.

If you cant get her to the doctors would she agree to counselling ??? I'm not sure what NHS services are available in your area but I know where I am there are NHS couselling services offerred that dont require a GP referral.

Let me know how you and your friend get on x

You can't do anything to help her I'm afraid. I doubt that the sufferer would agree that it's a form of self harm. It's a compulsion/habit that is very hard to break and can be helped with counselling and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).

Maybe you could have an open chat with her about getting some help, but the rest would be up to her. Hope she does well. xx

Latest posts

Back