Tricky nail shape

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimonailtech

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

One of those days. Let me tell you. Ugh. :sad:

I had a really sweet client come in at 5:30 pm for a set of french gels and shellac toes. She was brand new and wanted gels for her vacation she is leaving on tomorrow. All was fine until I looked at her fingers/nails and most of them were very oval shaped. Her hyponichium was very exaggerated, almost pointy.

I was kind of at a loss as to what to do with them. Some of them had a nice c-curve, and some were inverted, and some were flat. I probably should have just done Shellac, but stupidly I forged ahead. I sculpted on forms and that was obviously a bad idea. Since some of the nails were flat, and the form curved, it made a gap.

I was definitely having an off day, as I had only 4 hours sleep last night and spent a total of 11 hours there today. I even went and started her first nail sculpting before realizing I had forgotten bonder. I have NEVER done that.

Anyways, her nails came out looking fairly subpar. I purposely did my best not to sculpt too far down so they didnt look stubby, but it was really hard not to use a lot of gel, but then the white didnt cure all the way through. I couldn't seem to get the apex right without the nails being very thick. It was like every time I did one thing, another problem came up.

I hope I've explained the type of nails she has accurately, with the extremely deep hyponichium. What should I have done differently? I feel terrible about her nails, and I don't even want her to tell anyone I did them because my normal work is 100% better.

Help! :sad:

You know, I can't get a visual in my mind of the type of nail you're trying to describe; however, I can get a visual of the type of day. Your day sucked. You had a bad day and it's made doubly bad because you're conscientious about doing a good job for your clients. I applaud you for that. I really do. That's why you're successful!

Tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow is always better.

I know :sad: :sad: :sad: my boy and i have been fighting for a week now and i barely sleep because im so stressed about the salon.

You know when people have pointy fingers? Instead of the hyponychium being a nice, soft gentle smile line, it's in a V shape. So when you fit the form, it only goes under the very tip.

I know :sad: :sad: :sad: my boy and i have been fighting for a week now and i barely sleep because im so stressed about the salon.

You know when people have pointy fingers? Instead of the hyponychium being a nice, soft gentle smile line, it's in a V shape. So when you fit the form, it only goes under the very tip.
When you have these type of nails and you want to sculpt You need to pre taylor that form to fit under that high Hypernicium and the excess pterigium that is usually present in those types of nails. I have a few clients with that problem but their nails are normally very strong and thick and dont require extra length anymore unless one breaks, when that happens I pre taylor my form by cutting out a notch so that it fits snugly up under that nail.
If you apply your forms correctly there shouldn't be any gaps, dont try and push the form back under the whole free edge just place it gently under the very front of the free edge, hope that makes sense.
We have all had one of those days where nothing goes right and we always worry about our work. :hug:
Just shake it off and tell yourself tomorrow is another day.
Jen xxx

When you have these type of nails and you want to sculpt You need to pre taylor that form to fit under that high Hypernicium and the excess pterigium that is usually present in those types of nails. I have a few clients with that problem but their nails are normally very strong and thick and dont require extra length anymore unless one breaks, when that happens I pre taylor my form by cutting out a notch so that it fits snugly up under that nail.
If you apply your forms correctly there shouldn't be any gaps, dont try and push the form back under the whole free edge just place it gently under the very front of the free edge, hope that makes sense.
We have all had one of those days where nothing goes right and we always worry about our work. :hug:
Just shake it off and tell yourself tomorrow is another day.
Jen xxx

Ah, yeah. That probably would've been the best way of approaching it. Would oval or square nails have been a better choice?

Latest posts

Back